Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Reference - Living with Parents !

Options
  • 16-02-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hello, I'm going to be renting an apartment with one other person. The letting agency has asked for three references:

A reference from the employer - I've got this.
    A reference from my previous land lord - I've been living with my parents the last few years !
    A reference from my bank - AIB say they don't do references. I don't think I should be obliged to give them one anyway.

The other person can get a reference from their landlord but are with AIB too.

So what should I do for the previous land lord reference ? Give them a letter from my parents ?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Was in the same boat before.
    Just did up a letter with my mam as the landlord and used her maiden name. I don't think the letting agent even rang her.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Just tell them you are still living at home and this is you first time moving out, I had to do this when i moved out and there was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

My parents are in the property busines, a local garda reference always goes down a treat.
    Mabye try that to be on the safe side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Wouldn't think letting agencies are too picky at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In all honesty, most dont check up. I have a letter from my ex, who is technically rented from for a year. They never call up. Stupid really. Find a friend and get them to sign a letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sickle wrote: »
    Just tell them you are still living at home and this is you first time moving out, I had to do this when i moved out and there was no problem.

I was in the same situation and ^^this^^ was no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'm in the process of doing the exact same. AIB do bank references, I got one from them yesterday. It doesn't give any details of your money with them, mine just said I'm trustworthy in their eyes and that they'd recommend me for a letting. I also gave a bank statement with all monies blanked out, just to confirm my house address and that I'm with that bank.

Go to a different person in AIB, the first person I went to told me I need the address of the landlord on it as they can't give out 'to whom it may concern' letters, this was no problem, I went off to get the landlord's address. Came back the next day and asked for a reference and the girl just took my account number and did up a 'to whom it may concern' letter :rolleyes: So clearly there's no definite procedure that all bank employees go by.

I had no previous landlord reference as I live with my parents, this wasn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll just try being honest then ! It sounds strange that AIB would be so inconsistent at giving references; we'll have to try them again...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

WaterWolf wrote: »
    Hello, I'm going to be renting an apartment with one other person. The letting agency has asked for three references:

A reference from the employer - I've got this.
    A reference from my previous land lord - I've been living with my parents the last few years !
    A reference from my bank - AIB say they don't do references. I don't think I should be obliged to give them one anyway.

Is this the norm (providing 3 references)?
    If a couple are renting, do they both usually have to give references?
    Do they expect written references, or a phone reference?

And finally... Has the current 'difficult' market for landlords reduced the liklihood of them looking for references?

Advertisement