Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Question - sub-letting a room but remaining in house?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am taking out a lease on a house & the landlord wants to put a clause in the lease that if I rent out a room they can vet the prospective tenant. I will be staying in the house. Can he do this? I am the on the lease with my girlfriend & it is a 3 bed house. In the current climate it may be necessary to rent out a room & I don’t want to take on a year lease and be precluded from doing so.

Any info or advise greatly appreciated

Regards,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can he do this?
    Its not an unreasonable stipulation. His property, essentially his rules.

If you don't expect to be there in 12 months or don't want to be held to a lease, then don't sign it and agree something lese with the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Surely as I am taking on the lease I am also taking the risk of who I invite to stay?

I am taking on a lease in good faith but who knows what will happen in the coming months. I do not want to be in a situation where I cannot rent out a room to help with the rent to the landlord just coz he doesn't like the look of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

why not rent a smaller place that is easy for you to pay , ie 1 bed or 3 bed apartment

I want out of an apartment. They are too pokey & small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

well if u were paying rent urself covering all the house then fine

but if u wanna bring in others to help pay it , then the landlord is right to vet the applicants

thats why if i ever rented out my house , id never rent to 1 person , it would have to be a couple or family

my friend did that , rented to 2 people and they sub letted a room to help and he didnt care aslong as rent was paid etc

but they ruined the house and it cost more than the deposit to fix

• Advertisement

I think that the pont is being missed here.

I am taking on a lease solely in my name. I undertake to pay the rent for one year & to be responsible for the upkeep of the house. Surely, a tenant has the right to have under their roof whomever they wish provided no illegal activity is taking place?

If I had someone to stay who contributed to the household cost the rent is still being paid to the landlord by me

Advertisement