Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gulf war milsim game, march sunday 8/3/09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

hrta wrote: »
    It is, i'm afraid.

So ye really really have to protect the medic. Ok

Oh yeah, is it tans are israelis, and greens are iraqis?

I have a set of both colours, I got some plain tan in case it suited the iraqis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

NakedDex wrote: »
    Before I go making out my designation map Paul, do you have a grid reference system worked out already? No point me making a gridded map when your co-ords are different to mine (classic, real-deal fire support f*** up though).

When calling in fast air, do we simply call in a co-ord or should we pop smoke to mark the target?

Have we a set radio code system for calling in the the close air support such as grid reference -> landmark -> position, or do we just call in the grid reference as per whatever system you have. Also, can we call it in as delayed fire-for-effect or do we just call it as we need it. In other words, can I call in a position and say I want rounds on the ground in 5 minutes at that location or do I just wait for the 5 minutes and call them in as an immediate effect.

I dont have a grid reference system worked out, that will be up to you tomorrow, so get it right, or i'll miss your target.

Air support will only be available at certain times. With in that, time window, you can either specify immediate or timed delivery. If the target is close to your own position, And i have been informed by the IR air force, with the way money is in the world, they only drop one bomb at a time, with there buget.

All teams will have to draw a map of the site, to call in air strike's, Iraqi's can call in air strike's every hour, on the hour, only, Israeli team can call in air stike's every 40 min's, on the hour, only, Air stikes can only take out one room of a building, at any one time, or 5 meters out side in the open, any one in the room is taken out, or any one in the 5 meter's area out side. Missile's can not be taken out with air stike's.

There will be quarterpouders available, for cost, €2, Mel will be cooking them from 1.30, i have flasks for hot water, so just call for them, i will be doing on site delivery:D

I forgot to say, i have the wires layed out, for the field telephones, between the 2 missile base's, there is a junction box, that needs an over watch, or you loose your comms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

busy beaver indeed aint ya paul looking forward to it now ... and before you say anything its not for the burger's :pac::pac:

moggser wrote: »
    busy beaver indeed aint ya paul looking forward to it now ... and before you say anything its not for the burger's :pac::pac:

yeh right:D

hrta wrote: »
    yeh right:D

i should everything with wolfie bringing the almond fingers and flask's of water for the tea cant see much defendin goin on:)

moggser wrote: »
    i should everything with wolfie bringing the almond fingers and flask's of water for the tea cant see much defendin goin on:)[/QUOTE

i only got the hot plate on friday for doing burgers, i didnt think i'd have it up on running for sunday, so that why the late post, about doing them tomorrow.

well sssshhh about it i might actually get one this time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Can't make this as I lost my lift! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

I'm knackered.
    What a day. Words are crap i'll try string some together later to make some sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Sam's had a turnaround in opinion, he used to be an AK fanboi but he's seen sense and has taken a shine to the Masada. He'll be out in multicam next week., :D

3339006296_dc3343f55a.jpg

Big thanks to every one that showed today, and stuck the cold all day, And as always, honest playing, thanks to mel for doing the cooking, and thanks to hive/ronan, for marshalling, and the Taoist monks for inventing pyro's.
    Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Harlequin Wolf

The scenario was difficult but good. The key to victory is aggression on the Special forces part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Great day yesterday. Thanks to Paul, Hive and Mel.

And Defenderdude for the single shot to the back of the head as I was, em, tactically retreating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Mel your burgers saved my life, my thanks to you.
    To the Hawks, well i never saw yas :D
    To the Dogs, cheers for letting me play with ya on the day. It was a pleasure to work with you lot as always. We were the only team that got a scud :D

And thanks to all who came along and added to what was a good day overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Other than the bitter cold and a couple of "technical glitches" it was a pretty good event. Wolf has a very good point, the key is aggressively attacking your target but also time keeping. Airstrikes were available at different times for each group and only during a specific window. They were great for knocking out a few players in one go and providing an opportunity to advance on the objective.

Thanks to Paul for the scenario and the SCUDs (which are really nifty) and Mel for the yummy hot meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Very enjoyable day yesterday, despite the weather that would freeze the balls off a brass monkey! Thanks Paul for putting it together and we'll be holding you to your promise of a Milsim every month! Those Scuds you built were pretty cool too - never realised you were that creative! Kudos to Ronan too who stayed out in the field to get soaked and freeze his nads off all day to marshall and announce airstrikes (with sadistic pleasure!). His level of frustration at those that failed to read understand the rules was at times hilarious! Mel's burgers were like manna from heaven - a true goddess in an apron! :D
    It took a long time to get everyone in the field and get the game on but when it did it was great (lads - yis really need to stop yakkin before a game - save the small talk for when you're licking your wounds in the safe zone afterwards!! ;):D). I'm dying to know what the hell the Israeli SF (made up mostly of Hawks) were doing for the first 30 mins in that cabin after the game had started? Holding an EGM to discuss Conor's defection and the fact that he'd 'gone to the Dogs'?!! ;) I felt sorry for the Iraqis in the second Scud site who didn't get one shot off in the first game!
    Have to say I thought the medic & ammo rules made for some great gaming. Having to stay where you were when hit and wait for the medic to attend to you (while still under fire!) was so much more fun than strolling off to a respawn point! It meant you really had to protect your medic or you'd only have one life. Restricted ammo and realistic loads really taught you to be careful with your precious rounds. I don't think I used full auto at all and at the end of the day (and 3 games) I had only used about 300 rounds in all - compare that to an average skirmish where you might go through 3,000 plus! Loving the mid-caps now and think I'll be ditching those hi-caps for good (and to think I was considering purchasing one of those Battleaxe auto-winding hi-caps only a few weeks ago - oh, the horror! :o).
    It's worth noting that the level of sportsmanship and honour was top class all day and I wasn't aware of any cases of non-hit taking which was really refreshing. It's a pity we didn't get to play the last game and keep the momentum going but we had a few bailers people that had to go early! The last game was fun though and I think although we were all enjoying the day, everyone was releaved to get out of the miserable weather at the end!
    Thanks to HRTA and all who played for a very enjoyable day. Attaching a pic I took with my phone of some of the lads on the APC.

PS: Dr. Pepper - when I got home and inspected my 'groin region' I was very relieved to find that the damage was purely 'cosmetic' - phew!!:eek:
    My wounds will heal but those alloys on your car will always be skanger-tastic :D:D:D

Masada wrote: »
    Sam's had a turnaround in opinion, he used to be an AK fanboi but he's seen sense and has taken a shine to the Masada. He'll be out in multicam next week., :D

Yeah, its a nice gun, not my taste for a main, but nice enough, if just another plastic 556 that will likely never see major use.

TBH, I'll stick to the most popular rifle design in the world if you don't mind.:)

Had great craic in the second game, first game, special forces, what were ye at! Attacking the hardest position for hours, leaving us poor sods to sit around and have a nice chat in our cabin (bar the few dedicated players out in the cold!) waiting for an attack that never happened.
    Second game was mad craic, wasnt long before I got to blow up a scud! That was fun, they are great props paul, hope to see them in many games to come.

Bar a slow first game for iraqi team 2, I had a good day :)

Medic rules are good too, but maybe we could include some way of finishing off a player, if the enemy can reach them they could execute them, if a downed man is relaying intel, or does an injured man have to stay quiet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Pah, just following the crowd so Sam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

I'm dying to know what the hell the Israeli SF (made up mostly of Hawks) were doing for the first 30 mins in that cabin after the game had started?

Hahaha there was tea and soup to be had. Sure ya cant go to war on an empty stomach! :)

Ah it was funny watching yaz freeze ur nads off! Next time I need a better grid reference map!

Pah, just following the crowd so Sam?

Only if it makes me popular too...

I'm dying to know what the hell the Israeli SF (made up mostly of Hawks) were doing for the first 30 mins in that cabin after the game had started?

ROFL, we decided to leave you lot out in the cold to stew for a while, then it started snowing and the wind picked up so we were chuffed. we also had hot tea on hand and everything. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

ROFL, we decided to leave you lot out in the cold to stew for a while, then it started snowing and the wind picked up so we were chuffed. we also had hot tea on hand and everything. :D
    This is what made you "extra special" forces. Added to which, when you finally came out of your cubby hole you couldn't take any of the scuds!

Epic fail all round...

:)

I think there was a miss balance of teams on the day, there needs to be at least 4:3 in favor of the attackers versus each missile team, or they each have two lives, and the defenders have one, with standard medic rules.

Also, maybe the medic when killed, drops his medic pouch, and if regained, you can designate a new medic, if captured, the enemy team can use it for a second medic, or just destroy it?

The medic rule and savage props mean there is a lot of potential for that sort of game, but after first attack, the un-attacked team should be able to reinforce the other team, if they can get a man to team 2, or just call in for reinforcements? To prevent 10 lads sitting round for 2 and a half hours.
    After an hour, they reinforce, or as soon as a runner can get to them with the intel.

sliabh wrote: »
    This is what made you "extra special" forces. Added to which, when you finally came out of your cubby hole you couldn't take any of the scuds!

Epic fail all round...

:)

hmm, considering we chose the harder area to attack first, yet still got a few of your lads and never went for the second one.
    didnt you lot get wiped out in a matter of minutes defending the second scud? coz they didnt get near us over on the first one. and i personally took out 3 of them. :D failz you say, i think the stats speak for themselves.... :p

hmm, considering we chose the harder area to attack first, yet still got a few of your lads and never went for the second one.
    didnt you lot get wiped out in a matter of minutes defending the second scud? coz they didnt get near us over on the first one. and i personally took out 3 of them. :D failz you say, i think the stats speak for themselves.... :p

yeah they sure do Stray Dogs one skud down
    rest =fail lol

The other lads on our team were doing class too, conor did some serious damage from the ditch, and with a bit of cover fire, made it in to cqb the rest of them.

I'd play that scenario again, its just the raised base, is very difficult to get to, and we were after losing men, medics and ammo when we went for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Wasn't me guv. I was one of the people scratching their nads for 2 hours waiting for you guys to finish. And then when it was our turn we took our scud in 35 minutes.

Better to return to Tel Aviv with one knocked out than none!

Advertisement