Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zane Lowe's Top 50 Guitar Legends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mushy wrote: »
    Cos he's an absolutely brilliant guitar player maybe?? Would agree with most of the sentiments alright, what a crap list. Many names left out(yes, that would be higher than Mr. Bellamy alright), but then again, its(and been said enoiugh here) Zane Lowe and MTV2, who gives a crap?

No, this is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Jeff Buckley needs to be much higher in that list. Just check out the Sin é e.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Reading some of the replies on here, I should really have named the thread "Let's all laugh at Zane Lowe's Top 50 Guitar Legends" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

right am i imagining things or does Rory Gallaghers name not appear on this list?:confused:

+1
    niallon wrote: »
    And what is it about power chords exactly that makes Billie Joe Armstrong a guitar legend?

+1

Dave Gilmour being way down and Rory Gallagher not even ON it!!! Farce :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

keane2097 wrote: »
    No, this is not the answer.

Eugh, this could drag on quite a long time. Am curious though, why don't ya think he's good? I find that some of the stuff he comes up with is brilliant, and the way he comes up with them is quite brilliant too. He'd be well on that list before the majority of people that are on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

The most important question is why amn't I on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rock Dog

What a load of bollocks? Will someone start a new thread called WHAT EXACTLY MAKES A GUITARIST BECOME A LEGEND?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The most important question is why amn't I on it?

Give us a lick there so....

Oh I'm sorry I meant a guitar lick ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The lesson of this thread is DONT take the NME as gospel kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cheesykeith

So your telling us that Alex Turner and Noel Gallagher is a better guitarist than Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton? Are you telling me Knopfler and Clapton are not even in the top 50 in the world?It just goes to show how clueless these music channels are by employing these no nothing pretty boys who need to be Indie obsessed to keep up their "cool" reputation with 13-20 year olds. What a waste of a TV programme!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

When I were a kid, MTV had proper presenters.

mtv_ray_cokes2_1991.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Rock Dog wrote: »
    What a load of bollocks? Will someone start a new thread called WHAT EXACTLY MAKES A GUITARIST BECOME A LEGEND?
    Why don't you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It is a joke of a list, but I thought people who actually care about music stopped watching MTV years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dj_lezza

Why dont we all come up with what out ultimate 50 top guitar legends would be ... see if there is any that come up alot then compile them into a final top 50 list it gotta b better than zane's lol x:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

There's a reason why it's called "Zane Lowe's Top 50 Guitar Legends" & not "The Top 50 Guitar Legends".
    It's his opinion, no need to cry about it.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

fortuneg wrote: »
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...

Yes, but not everyone is one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

To me, that seems like a reasonable list as far as MTV standards go. Of course the likes of Dimebag would be overlooked, his songs arent played over panoramic shots of LA in "The Hills".

Answer me this: would you be happy if Zane Lowe acknowledged Dimebag or Rory Gallagher as guitar's number 1 legend? What would that say about their legacy?

That's the problem with musical snobs I reckon: we spout on about our own favourite guitarists and artists as if we know what makes the worlds best. It's all about opinions, and I think Zane has more-or-less nailed exactly what it takes to be a guitar legend on that list but for a few glaring omissions that perhaps should have been acknowledged further down the list at least. A legend doesnt need to be technically sound, nor particularly original in my humble opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Powderpuff

I am listening to Zane's selection now on MTV TWO. Guitar virtuosity does not seem to come into it. Many of the guitarists are just those that can make a good noise to fill. This is not a problem as many rock and pop songs need only that. I think that Zane has chosen his favourite bands rather than best guitarists.

I agree with many of the comments on great guitarists omitted. My main comments would be around Clapton's absence, Dave Gilmour's low position and nobody seems to have mentioned Mark Knopfler though. Even if you don't like Dire Straights there are surely few who can bend a note like him.

On on.
    Powderpuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Powderpuff

A legend doesnt need to be technically sound, nor particularly original in my humble opinion.

But if you are picking the best 50 then surely that implies that you put in some sort of prder where someone who is more 'technically sound' and more 'original' above someone who is less so. Otherwise how do you rank them?

On on
    Powderpuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 freecool

I actually think that's a fairly good list. In my books technical ability doesn't count for much and why should it. Just sitting in a room learning how to play fast scales doesn't make the musical world any better of a place. I've been playing guitar for 13 years and Zane annoys the crap out of me but i respect this list. He's gone for the music above all else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

To be honest he was probably given a list of guitarists and told to put them in some kind of order..not defending him its just Mtv..they're not gonna play a song unless it has some sort of music video to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭hyn-zie

Ardent wrote: »
    50 - KINGS OF LEON - MATTHEW FOLLOWILL
    49 - BIFFY CLYRO - SIMON NEIL
    48 - JEFF BUCKLEY - JEFF BUCKLEY
    43 - GREEN DAY - BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG
    31 - PEARL JAM - MIKE MCCREADY
    24 - AEROSMITH - JOE PERRY
    8 - Angus Young - AC/DC
    7 - Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
    6 - John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers

John Frusciante better than Eddie Van Halen? Mike McCready? Joe Perry? Angus Young??? absolute b@ll@x

Insane, where's Randy Rhoads (who was believed to be better than Halen at his time), Zakk Wylde??? Dave Mustaine???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BIG Phily

I cant beleve he dose'nt even have john frusciante of the rhcp its a bit of a joke of a list. it's like he rating how good the band is and saying o yeah he's a good guitarist. cause how well the band done
    :confused::confused::cool::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

billie joe armstrong and mathew followill shouldn't be anywhere on that list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Peter Green is not even on the list.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Just gonna say I agree with everyone, bullsh1t list, makes no sense. The top 5 would be in my top 50 alright that's fair enough. Also fair play to everyone for not feeding the troll. Plus Zane lowe knows abolutely nothing bout good music, surely everyone has reaslised this by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmangaz

For a start, why is SLASH in front of JIMMY PAGE.:eek:

Like Somebody Said someware, ZANE LOWE has an opinion that should never be trusted, and he is a twat that doesn't even take into account technical ability, its not all about technical ability, i agree, but you need to take this judgement into concept. and Wheres Eric Clapton!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madmangaz

slipss wrote: »
    Just gonna say I agree with everyone, bullsh1t list, makes no sense. The top 5 would be in my top 50 alright that's fair enough. Also fair play to everyone for not feeding the troll. Plus Zane lowe knows abolutely nothing bout good music, surely everyone has reaslised this by now.

We all Realise that, i think were just complaining to get this idiot of T.V. and Radio for Good.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think Phil Manzanera should be in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cirkumflexjohn

no zappa? joke.
    no rory gallagher? joke.
    no robert fripp? joke.

i understand that its zanes list and by the looks of it he is only taking in to account modern rock guitarists. in which case, why are zappa, gallagher and fripp not mentioned?

and maybe he has forgotten that the guitar has been a very prominent instrument for longer than 40 or 50 years. maybe he is also forgetting that guitar isnt solely a rock instrument. it is used in other genres. for example, jazz, gypsy, blues, folk, spanish, argentinian, afro-cuban, brazillian etc.

wheres pat metheney, joe pass, john scofield, charlie christian, barney kessel, django reinhardt, john mcgloughlin, herb ellis, wes montgomery, al di meola, paco de lucia, jim hall?....i mean, the list goes on and on.

anyway, as people have pointed out, its his opinion and its MTV, so what can you expect?

Advertisement