Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zane Lowe's Top 50 Guitar Legends

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nor should it tbh. Technical ability isn't what makes a great guitarist, and certainly wasn't what Dimebag was about.

That list is an insult to music though. I could never conceive of a more bland, populist, lowest common denominator list. Kirk Hammett is a better guitarist than David Gilmour!? I'm in awe of the stupidity of that, it's almost too much that anyone with ears could possibly consider that for a second. I had to read that again just to make absolute sure that Kirk Hammett was in fact at number 4 and David Gilmour was at 37.

Kirk Hammett > David Gilmour?

Nah... you're having a laugh.
    He's not even the best guitarist in Metallica!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

As we're throwing in suggestions, I'll add Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Bonamassa and Steve Vai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Any idiot can learn to tap and sweep pick minor arpeggios and pentatonic scales. Show me a guitarist who can get some interesting and well-thought-out melodies and harmonies with their playing, and put it all in context.

I vote:
    Jonny Greenwood
    Steven Drozd
    Tom Verlaine
    Nels Cline

But they're not my favourites. My favourites are the ones who go way out there to find new sounds and experiment with their instrument as a sound source (as opposed to most guitarists who have preconceptions about the 'right' way to play their guitars). For that, I vote:
    Ronald Jones
    Ed O'Brien
    Kevin Shields
    Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo (I've only just gotten into Sonic Youth, don't know them well enough to really discern yet)
    Nels Cline

I play guitar, and that list makes me wonder why so many people are so short-sighted and unadventurous in both their listening and their playing. The electric guitar isn't a new instrument at all, and so many people still just play the blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 cirkumflexjohn

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Any idiot can learn to tap and sweep pick minor arpeggios and pentatonic scales. Show me a guitarist who can get some interesting and well-thought-out melodies and harmonies with their playing, and put it all in context.

I vote:
    Jonny Greenwood
    Steven Drozd
    Tom Verlaine
    Nels Cline

But they're not my favourites. My favourites are the ones who go way out there to find new sounds and experiment with their instrument as a sound source (as opposed to most guitarists who have preconceptions about the 'right' way to play their guitars). For that, I vote:
    Ronald Jones
    Ed O'Brien
    Kevin Shields
    Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo (I've only just gotten into Sonic Youth, don't know them well enough to really discern yet)
    Nels Cline

I play guitar, and that list makes me wonder why so many people are so short-sighted and unadventurous in both their listening and their playing. The electric guitar isn't a new instrument at all, and so many people still just play the blues.

if youre into unconventional guitarists try christy doran. i did a workshop with him a couple of years ago. some really interesting concepts. and you definitely MUST check out bill frisell, if you havnt already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svzv-YkUzdk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Ardent wrote: »
    Kurt Cobain is a joke anyway. Great singer and good guitarist, but guitar legend? C'mon!

You're right; he was a great singer.
    He was also a phenomenal guitarist; a guitarist should be judged by the sound conjured from the guitar and, in the case of a songwriter, the songs he writes using it.
    Here's one example:

For those who doubt John Frusciante's place in the list of great guitar players, i submit:

Johnny Marr and Richard Thompson should also rate highly in any list of the best guitaristis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

You people are morons - sometimes! Kirk Hammett is an excellent guitarist, i have been in and out of studios for the last 15 years and its plain as day he is superb, zane lowe is a cock muncher but don't come out crap! remember this is one mans choice, we are all different!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hon pa

ascanbe wrote: »
    You're right; he was a great singer.
    He was also a phenomenal guitarist; a guitarist should be judged by the sound conjured from the guitar and, in the case of a songwriter, the songs he writes using it.
    Here's one example:

For those who doubt John Frusciante's place in the list of great guitar players, i submit:

Johnny Marr and Richard Thompson should also rate highly in any list of the best guitaristis.

I definitely agree that John Frusciante belongs in the list, not just his RHCP stuff but, he's got some unbelievable solo stuff too! Kurt Cobain is pretty good too, but to leave out Clapton,Zappa,Gallagher and Steve Vai is a bit ridiculous, credibility of the list goes straight out the window when those names are missing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ExogenesisMuse

How did Matt Bellamy make it to no.5?!...

Because he's awesome! :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

nice to see mick jones get a mention in something for once, although 25th is a bit generous.

these lists are always terrible way too general they mix up the criteria. some people make it in for their retechnical ability, others are in for their image and persona others make it in cos they're in a huge band even if they themselves are crap and others are in it for they're the flavour of the month.

it should be top 50 most talented guitarists or top 50 coolest motherfockers to ever pick up a guitar or something a bit specific

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No Alex Liferson and Gilmore at 37.....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Ardent wrote: »
    Caught this on MTV last night. I always knew Zane Lowe was a bit of a muppet but I couldn't believe how bad this list was, I moaned and ranted to herself pretty much all the way though the program. She thought it was hilarious that Lowe could have this effect on me!

The only thing I agreed with was Jimi at #1. The Edge at 19??!! Johnny Marr at #9?? WTF?

I submit the list for your persual and comments:

50 - KINGS OF LEON - MATTHEW FOLLOWILL
    49 - BIFFY CLYRO - SIMON NEIL
    48 - JEFF BUCKLEY - JEFF BUCKLEY
    47 - THE KILLERS - DAVE KEUNING
    46 - SLIPKNOT - MICK THOMSON
    45 - SOUNDGARDEN - KIM THAYIL
    44 - MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE - FRANK LERO
    43 - GREEN DAY - BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG
    42 - YEAH YEAH YEAHS - NICK ZINNER
    41 - MANICS - JAMES DEAN BRADFIELD
    40 - BLINK 182 - TOM DELONGE
    39 - KISS - ACE FREHLEY
    38 - ARCTIC MONKEYS - ALEX TURNER
    37 - PINK FLOYD - DAVE GILMOUR
    36 - PIXIES - JOEY SANTIAGO
    35 - REM - PETER BUCK
    34 - SYSTEM OF A DOWN - DARON MALAKIAN
    33 - THIN LIZZY - GARY MOORE
    32 - SUEDE - BERNARD BUTLER
    31 - PEARL JAM - MIKE MCCREADY
    30 - THE STROKES - NICK VALENSI
    29 - SMASHING PUMPKINS - BILLY CORGAN
    28 - NEIL YOUNG - NEIL YOUNG
    27 - OASIS - NOEL GALLAGHER
    26 - FOO FIGHTERS DAVE GROHL
    25 - THE CLASH - MICK JONES
    24 - AEROSMITH - JOE PERRY
    23 - BLUR - GRAHAM COXON
    22 - PRINCE - PRINCE
    21 - RADIOHEAD - JOHNNY GREENWOOD
    20 - BLACK SABBATH - TONY IOMMI
    19 - U2 - THE EDGE
    18 - JANE'S ADDICTION - DAVE NAVARRO
    17 - THE ROLLING STONES - KEITH RICHARDS
    16 - STONE ROSES - JOHN SQUIRE
    15 - QUEENS OF THE STONEAGE - JOSH HOMME
    14 - THE WHO - PETE TOWNSEND
    13 - THE WHITE STRIPES - JACK WHITE
    12 - QUEEN - BRIAN MAY
    11 - NIRVANA - KURT COBAIN
    10 - Tom Morello - Rage Against The Machine
    9 - Johnny Marr - The Smiths
    8 - Angus Young - AC/DC
    7 - Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
    6 - John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    5 - Matt Bellamy - Muse
    4 - Kirk Hammett - Metallica
    3 - Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin
    2 - Slash - Guns N' Roses
    1 - Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix

ROFL!!!

KURT COBAIN at number 11!!!
    Just because they are in a famous band, and play a guitar doesnt make them a guitar hero!

i counted 15 guitarists that deserved to be there.
    No Rory Gallagher
    No S.R.V.
    No Chuck Berry

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is there a need for John Squier, seeing that Johnny marr represents that scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

ROFL!!!

KURT COBAIN at number 11!!!
    Just because they are in a famous band, and play a guitar doesnt make them a guitar hero!

tbh... and I'm suprised I'm supporting such a list, but as a generational thing it makes sense right now, for most people 18-35, the first song they learned on guitar was a Nirvana tune. And yeah he was "limited" but as a starting point and a lesson in making great songs with limited ability and a budget he's the best - mainstream - example.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

No Luke Hoskin?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Zombie thread LIVES :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

where the **** is serge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

First thing that struck me was how far down Prince and Billy Corgan are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

No me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 iGenius

Top 10, Top 20, Top 50, Top 100 lists are all bull****. I doubt Zane Lowe even compiled the list. They just happen to be bands whose songs MTV2 can actually play. Lowe, like most music journalists is a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭GBX

At the end of the day .. any "best of" "worlds best" list is never gonna suit everbody.
    Whether its a survey of 1 person - ie Zane Lowe or 1 million ppl, your guaranteed theres gonna be divided opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

ricero wrote: »

He's still learning the Status Quo songbook. Not even in the top 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Zaney. eclectic selection of a mainstream bunch. suggests another metallica fanboy who likes all sorts of other.. stuff on hmv shelves. marr should trump Hammett, for starters. No hanneman :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Zane Lowe.....nuff said!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

RikkFlair wrote: »
    He's still learning the Status Quo songbook. Not even in the top 1000.

serge ****s all over them washed up quo fogies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

ricero wrote: »

I love serge, an love kasabian, but i wouldnt have him in my top 50, or top 100 guitarists. However, looking at this list, maybe he should be on it, as this list is mainly top 50 from the bands MTV2 plays for the last 5-10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

How did a two year old thread about what guitarists are missing from a list of legends get to six pages without a single person mentioning George Harrison?

And why does anyone give a crap about Zane Lowe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

What about Nick McCabe? I always thought he was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Muse do my head in, the new Queen they call them, more like bay city rollers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jammindann

This guy missed the mark! No Brian May, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Cliff Burton, Vernon Reid, Robert Johnson, or Buddy Guy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement