Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths symbols

Options
  • 16-02-2009 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Could somebody post a list of these and what they mean please? The ones where it says X= R, Z etc, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

∑ (Sigma) means the sum of (In statistics)

∆ (Delta) change in, like change in temp or something.

< Less than

>Greater than.

Anything else?

(I dont know exactly what you're looking for tbh though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

R means it can be any number. 3, -9, 5.41561 etc.

Z means it's all the whole numbers including the negative ones. ... -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2....

N means all the positive numbers and 0. 0, 1, 2, 3....

If there's a 0 at the bottom right of N, it means it excludes 0.

Fringe wrote: »

Z means it's all the whole numbers including the negative ones. ... -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2....

OH!

Actually I need those, thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah, N refers to the natural numbers, which doesn't include 0. If it does include 0, there's a 0 subscript.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's actually really useful thanks, I was so confused before my maths mock!

• Advertisement

Also, there's Q, which are rational numbers (fractions); and there's I (Imaginary numbers - numbers that when squared give a negative result); and A (algebraic numbers - they're numbers which can be a solution to a polynomial); and C (complex numbers - numbers that contain both real and imaginary components).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

R = Real Numbers

Z = Integers

N = Natural Numbers

Explanations as given above

i'm guessing these are the kind of questions you're on about

LC HL Maths Paper 07

x +1 ≤ 2, where x ∈ Z

x = 5 + 7cosθ , y = 7sinθ , where θ ∈ R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

and remember you could be asked to plot some of these guys on a number line or graph....its more common on the junior cert but its always worth knowing, you never know! its always the simple things that can catch you out!!
    I feel a bit hypocritical telling other people what to study though.....the nearest i got to any maths today was the numbers on countdown! i miss carol:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Also, there's Q, which are rational numbers (fractions); and there's I (Imaginary numbers - numbers that when squared give a negative result); and A (algebraic numbers - they're numbers which can be a solution to a polynomial); and C (complex numbers - numbers that contain both real and imaginary components).
    Hm, I've not heard of I or A used as sets of numbers, surely I would just consist of i and all numbers proportional to it, then? (Unless quaternions are getting involved which really shouldn't be happening in LC maths. : p)
    Though, I suppose you can take any set of numbers you like, just thinking about what's on the LC course, moreso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Ah, N refers to the natural numbers, which doesn't include 0. If it does include 0, there's a 0 subscript.

I always forget about that one. Always get confused with them 2. It's usually grand though because the context should be a huge clue on whether you include 0 or not like if you try putting 0 into a term, it doesn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I always forget about that one. Always get confused with them 2. It's usually grand though because the context should be a huge clue on whether you include 0 or not like if you try putting 0 into a term, it doesn't work out.

Actually, I believe that both PurpleFistMixer and yourself are right. There are differing conventions (not to mention frequent heated exchanges). From my reading of things, what PFM has said is the most commonly accepted convention: 0 is not a natural number, and not included in N. But the other convention has a sizable following too!

Those who say that N includes 0 often use the subscript 0 to indicate its removal, and those who say that N excludes 0 often use the subscript to indicate its inclusion!

I would be surprised if you were penalised in either case in the Leaving Cert. Indeed, p17 of the 2008 marking scheme (proof of De Moivre's theorem) indicates clearly in a footnote that they'll accept either: http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2008/LC003ALP000EV.pdf

I and A have never been used on the Leaving Cert, and I'd say there'd be war if they were. The ones to know are: N, Z, Q, R and C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

off-topic completely,
    but,how do you type symbols(element of ,delta,sigma)and powers in the superscript form?

off-topic completely,
    but,how do you type symbols(element of ,delta,sigma)and powers in the superscript form?

I'm on a mac so I click on edit on the top of the screen and select Special Characters on the drop down menu.

And then use either Maths or Greek.

Advertisement