Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House & car egged

Options
  • 16-02-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I discovered this morning that our gable wall and car had been egged over the weekend. Ended up late for work as had to clean the egg off the car windscreen before I could drive. It happened sometime between Saturday afternoon and this morning and I'm 99% sure that it was the same gang of kids who are often hanging around Charlesland Park and have rung our doorbell and run away a couple of times before. (Which we purposely didn't react too so I've no idea why we've been targeted again) If so, they're young, aged I would say between 8-14, and I would ask anyone who has kids in that age group to check what they are up to if they are out hanging around in the afternoons/early evening. Also, if your supply of eggs has been depleted, I'd appreciate a PM as I have a car and a wall that need cleaning :mad: (and maybe even repainting in the case of the wall)!

We love living in Charlesland, have the most amazing neighbours and are really happy here so I HOPE this kind of behaviour can be nipped in the bud.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I got eggs thrown at me from a car before while walking back from the Woodlands pub. Really don't understand it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

wingding wrote: »
    I got eggs thrown at me from a car before while walking back from the Woodlands pub. Really don't understand it...

Egg them back :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

wingding wrote: »

Going back a year or so I was walking back from Delgany when a red nissa micra with a few lads in it drove past me 3 times throwing eggs..

On their fourth attempt I had a surprise waiting for them... needless to say I never saw them again...;)

Has the youth of today gone totally brainless or what...?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

We live in an estate close to Charlesland and have also had our house egged 3 times in the past. It's a real nuisance as the eggs leave a nasty smell and stain the wall if not cleaned off fairly quickly. I have no explanation why we were targeted but I think it's possible because our house has it's gable end exposed and is an easy target. We also regularly get footballs against the garden wall (even at night time) and end window - which is a pain to clean as it is quite high. I have come to the realization that it's not a personal attack on us - we are just a convenient target for the mindless idiots who hang around the estate. These kids are too lazy to go and get involved in the huge amount of clubs and activities laid on for them in Greystones. I know it's easy to blame the parents but in this case it is also right as I have never once seen the parents of any of these kids - I don't think they know or care what their kids are up to. We have two small kids under the age of two and this antisocial behavior makes our life very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

lads an ongoing problem like this should be brought to the attention of the community garda for charlesland. just give greystones garda station a shout so at least he is aware of it and can include that specific area on his patrol. if they are continually moved from that area by gardai they will get p*ssed off and leave the area and your problem could be solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Going back a year or so I was walking back from Delgany when a red nissa micra with a few lads in it drove past me 3 times throwing eggs..

On their fourth attempt I had a surprise waiting for them... needless to say I never saw them again...;)

Has the youth of today gone totally brainless or what...?

Did you give 'em some Scott Gibbs aggro?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Thanks for the replies, I needed to let off some steam yesterday, it was not a good start to the week!! :mad::)

Patrickpc, yes, I think you're right, our house is one of the few with a gable wall as well so that's probably why we were targeted too (so I'll put my paranoia back in its box for now :eek:). We're contemplating keeping a bucket of water at the nearest window so we can give the little ****s (angels!) a good soaking if they do it again and let them try to explain that to their parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Lumbarda wrote: »
    I discovered this morning that our gable wall and car had been egged over the weekend. Ended up late for work as had to clean the egg off the car windscreen before I could drive. It happened sometime between Saturday afternoon and this morning and I'm 99% sure that it was the same gang of kids who are often hanging around Charlesland Park and have rung our doorbell and run away a couple of times before. (Which we purposely didn't react too so I've no idea why we've been targeted again) If so, they're young, aged I would say between 8-14, and I would ask anyone who has kids in that age group to check what they are up to if they are out hanging around in the afternoons/early evening. Also, if your supply of eggs has been depleted, I'd appreciate a PM as I have a car and a wall that need cleaning :mad: (and maybe even repainting in the case of the wall)!

We love living in Charlesland, have the most amazing neighbours and are really happy here so I HOPE this kind of behaviour can be nipped in the bud.

I completely understand you being extremely fed up having someone throw eggs at your property. Just wondering how your 99 % sure that it's the same kids who rang your doorbell and ran away. It happened sometime between Sat afternon and Monday morning? If so it's just as likely it was some people at one of the many piss*d up parties that go on in Charlesland over the weekend.

The reason I am making this point is that I have an 11 year old child that is out playing with her friends quite often in the evening. My daughter is perfectly entitled to be around the estate with her friends, many times they are on their bikes or on skates and generally having a good time. All of the kids I know that she is friends with are perfectly nice children who are involved in plenty of activities and not just "hanging around" all of the time. I don't want to turn this into an argument, just don't want kids that are around the estate being demonised and made out to be young delinquents!

I am aware that my daughter and her 2 friends have done the ring the bell and run away thing and she was told not to do it again but to be honest who hasn't done that? I will certainly ask her have they been involved in throwing eggs or does she know who was (she would tell me)

I will also check my egg stock has not been depleted ;)

OP hope you don't mind me making these points.

Hi Dubsgirl, we're almost sure it was kids because both myself and my husband think we heard it happen (in hindsight!) late on Saturday afternoon. I thought it was a ball at the time as some of the neighbour's kids were playing football out front so ignored it (and, no, we haven't asked them if they saw anything as don't want to involve them in "telling tales"), but there was another gang of kids around at the same time. I'm not trying to demonise the kids playing around the estate, of course they're more than entitled to do so, but just asking parents to keep an eye on what they're up to if possible. Thanks for checking with your daughter (and your egg supply!). :)

P.S. After cleaning the wall and the car we won't be eating omelettes for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Hi again,

I am fairly sure the egg throwing culprits are kids around the 10-14 age group. Last night my neighbour (also a gable end house) was targetted. This time the kids rang the door bell and waited until they saw him coming to the door before throwing an egg at the front door and runnig off. He called the guards who came but admitted there is little they can do. The guard recommended either setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme or installing cctv cameras - he said that cctv footage is now regularly used in evidence in cases like this. If you do go down the cctv route I think you need to put up stickers to say your premises is being monitored by cctv for legal reasons. It's not something you want to do lightly though as while cctv may act as a deterrant it may also act as provocation for further antisocial behavior - these kids seem to love a challenge. My advice is not to give chase as this only eggs them on (if you pardon the pun). Notify the Guards and let them do a drive by which seems to be the best deterrant. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss offline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

You guys better hope those kids don't run out of eggs...
    The kids near us used rotten fruit during the middle of the night. I don't know what the original plan was, but they ended up breaking two double glazed windows and destroying the paint job I did the day before. :mad: I know exactly who did it too, but there was no way to prove it, and the Gardaí couldn't do anything about it.

Why is there little the police can do? If some one is causing an annoyance, that will get out of hand if you catch them, surely its in their interest to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Why is there little the police can do? If some one is causing an annoyance, that will get out of hand if you catch them, surely its in their interest to sort it out.

as i posted a few days ago, there is plenty they can do. there isn't a lot they can do if nobody sees it happening and there is no other evidence of who did it but the the community garda for the area can patrol around over the course of a week or so and (a) act as a deterant and (b) identify who it is hanging around relevant areas and if necessary move them on. (im not talking about young lads playing football etc before i'm given out to!!)

if someone catches them and points them out to gardai, then there are several courses of action gardai can take such as bring them home to their parents, arrest them and put them thru the juvenile liaison scheme or if they are serial offenders for years, charge them!! (i doubt it would come to this though)!)

in fairness in the general scheme of things it is minor type of thing but not for the people who have their houses and cars egged all the time

happyhappy wrote: »
    as i posted a few days ago, there is plenty they can do. there isn't a lot they can do if nobody sees it happening and there is no other evidence of who did it but the the community garda for the area can patrol around over the course of a week or so and (a) act as a deterant and (b) identify who it is hanging around relevant areas and if necessary move them on. (im not talking about young lads playing football etc before i'm given out to!!)

if someone catches them and points them out to gardai, then there are several courses of action gardai can take such as bring them home to their parents, arrest them and put them thru the juvenile liaison scheme or if they are serial offenders for years, charge them!! (i doubt it would come to this though)!)

in fairness in the general scheme of things it is minor type of thing but not for the people who have their houses and cars egged all the time

I dont want them arrested, just someone to let them know they dont have free run to do what they like. Believe me this is utopia compared with London kids. Its still unusual for us to actually see kids out playing. Like most of these things its probably about 2 or 3 kids egging on, *cough* the others.

OK this is getting ridiculous. Was just driving home to have my way blocked by a child standing in the middle of the Spine Road (I kid you not). He said he was looking for his dog but, after we'd established that I hadn't seen it but would keep my eyes open, he refused to get out of the way and just stood there deliberately blocking me, so I can only assume the dog story was just an excuse. He was about 10-12 dressed in a grey hoodie, with another friend similarly attired, carrying some kind of tennis racquets. If this sounds like your little darling, can you please have a word, for his own safety as much as anything else, as standing in the middle of the road with the way that some people drive around here is NOT a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

The cheek of him! If I was you I'd try to keep an eye out for him and try to follow him home to speak to his parents. If he was mine he'd be grounded until he was old enough to drive...

I would probably have been more able to see the funny side if it wasn't on top of the "egging" - starting to feel the 10 year olds of the area are out to get me :eek::D (Joke!!). Just hope this doesn't become a regular sort of thing, apart from anything else, as I say, it's a safety nightmare. Mind you, I always drive very slowly up the spine road so maybe that's why he decided he could risk it with me - doubt he'd have tried it with one of the local boy racers somehow (at least I hope not for his own sake!)!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Lumbarda wrote: »
    OK this is getting ridiculous. Was just driving home to have my way blocked by a child standing in the middle of the Spine Road (I kid you not). He said he was looking for his dog but, after we'd established that I hadn't seen it but would keep my eyes open, he refused to get out of the way and just stood there deliberately blocking me, so I can only assume the dog story was just an excuse. He was about 10-12 dressed in a grey hoodie, with another friend similarly attired, carrying some kind of tennis racquets. If this sounds like your little darling, can you please have a word, for his own safety as much as anything else, as standing in the middle of the road with the way that some people drive around here is NOT a good idea.

Well if it was in my situation, i would have called the garda. These little ****ers thinks they own the world when they are out on the street. It doesn't work with me unfortunately. If i have something to tell you, i will. I dnt care if you are a kid or not. They have bad manners and they need to be taught a lesson.
    And people say kids are angel, my ass:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

I just want to tell parents that are reading my post and think that am crazy.
    Just spend 5 mins on the road or any shopping centres where children is around, you will see how bad their behaviour in society are.
    Or follow your precious little kid and see how he behave on the street. Then you will say that am right. If you parents doesn't control your kids, you do you think will do that. It's time for you to take responsibility and if you can't, stop making babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I just want to tell parents that are reading my post and think that am crazy.
    Just spend 5 mins on the road or any shopping centres where children is around, you will see how bad their behaviour in society are.
    Or follow your precious little kid and see how he behave on the street. Then you will say that am right. If you parents doesn't control your kids, you do you think will do that. It's time for you to take responsibility and if you can't, stop making babies.

Wow...calm down boy! Total exaggeration. Kids, like all people come in different shapes and sizes. Some people are not used to kids (particularly older kids) and feel threatened by their behaviour because they behave differently (and stupidly at times). But this is because they are still kids and not mature adults. All kids are prone to mistakes, no matter what their upbringing. That is what growing up is.

However, I can completely understand why people can feel threatened and uncomfortable when they are not used to dealing with them. However, it's not really accurate to come out with such statements. Maybe you have had a bad experience and if so, I totally sympathize. But they are not all like that. Not even a small fraction.

• Advertisement
Advertisement