Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberbullying in schools - we really need your help, Thanks

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

done..hmm...i kinda went off topic alittle, i went on about haters on youtube =X

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ZB

I just wanted to thank all those that have contributed so far. Unfortunately we still need a few more to fill out the survey if you have time or know anyone else that would help us in our research to help support vulnerable students who are being bullied in this manner. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Done it there although with not much detail.

*MUST GET BACK TO STUDY* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Filled it out.

Thanks again for those who have filled it out. Your time is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you want any input from teachers who have dealt with cyberbullying cases?

We are also conducting a similar study examining teachers' experiences of cyberbullying if you want to follow the link below or pass it on to your colleagues:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9Q3B62L

Thank you for your inquiry spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Done.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I don't mean to sound insensitive... But I seriously think cyber bullying isn even half as bad as 'real life' bullying... I'm saying this from experience... I recieved text msgs before saying ' haha paki bitch curry ****...' and u know the drill... I just laughed at them... :/ Are people that feeble hearted these days that's textual 'bullying' bothers them so bad...?

I'm not saying anyone deserves
    this... IMO I find it sorta pathetic when someone takes a msgs that's says something like ' haha fat bitch lol x ' intimidating... It's just... I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Done, as if I was in secondary school (am only in 1st year college, and probably younger than a few LC people are now)
    :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again to all those who have since filled it out. It is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

fufureida wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound insensitive...
    Tbh, that's exactly what you do sound.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to slap people around the head with it! :)

In my experience, what flows off one person like water off a duck's back will seriously upset another; and yet, that second person will be puzzled by why the first person is upset by something else ...

Such is the magical / frustrating variety of life and that weird breed of creatures called humans who are the principal players on the stage ...

Yeah true :/ u gotta a point I guess ppl just don't get why others may get bothered by certain stuff. All problems are problems.. Big or small. I still think Cyber bullying just can't be as bad as face to face abuse... Speaking from experiences ofcourse... I think the source should be addressed because
    u can't stop every a-hole in the world... People need help in order to build better self confidence and basically not care what some jackass says... Confidence is so important... And remembering that every bully is just an insecure ****. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tian shi

I don't mean to sound insensitive... But I seriously think cyber bullying isn even half as bad as 'real life' bullying... I'm saying this from experience... I recieved text msgs before saying ' haha paki bitch curry ****...' and u know the drill... I just laughed at them... :/ Are people that feeble hearted these days that's textual 'bullying' bothers them so bad...?

I'm not saying anyone deserves
    this... IMO I find it sorta pathetic when someone takes a msgs that's says something like ' haha fat bitch lol x ' intimidating... It's just... I don't get it.

To be honest,IMO while being called a paki Bi*ch is very serious(And having a chinese wife,i hate racists) However,it is different to sustained campaign's of cyber bullying. some people get bombarded constantly with sick,hideous remarks. I have known a person who took their own life as a result of it. Another point to remember is that not everyone is as strong as you, and may not have enough self confidence to let these insults roll off.

anyway,
    恶霸是屁眼/bullies are as*h*les

It might have been a serious issue for me years ago but now I litterly laugh if ppl say anything like that to me. Thing is I've been called every type of paki Muslim slur I can think of for yeeeears now and yeah wen I was 13-15 it used to bother me.. It eventually happened so much I.. Just didn't care anymore. I knew I had a family by my side and friends. Nothing else matters.

In fact a few days ago a friend of a friend added me on facebook... Seemed nice at first turned out to be perverted and racist. So I deleted him. I was really annoyed because something like that hadn't happened in ages, so I was like WTF grow up...

I have received racial abuse from teachers in the past too... She only got suspended for 10 days for what she said...:/

But yeah I guess ur right. I didn't think about it that way but bullying of all sorts is bad.. Especially when the other is being affected.

I still think Cyber bullying just can't be as bad as face to face abuse...
    I can see your point, certainly ... you can click on the tab and close the page, etc., etc.

Consider this scenario though (and I'm just pulling it off the top of my head, btw) ... person regularly opens their Facebook (or whatever) account to find horrible comments left by a number of others.

Now, on the one hand, delete / report / close. On the other hand, s/he is thinking: "Who else read that?" (At least face-to-face, you *know* who was there!).

Maybe the accounts are anonymous, so s/he doesn't know who it is.

It could be someone, or a group, who give him / her a fake smile in school every day. That's unsettling, and makes for paranoia.

See where I'm going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Bullying needs tlo be taken more seriously, I mean intervention by the gardaí.

I saw the case where the police got involved after the girl had died. Too late.

If the gardai got involved, bullies would be too scared to do anything. Most of these guys are pussies outside of their group, theyre only tough when its 4 or 5 against 1.

Whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger in the end:)

Yeah I agree. My ten year brother got beaten by a guy in his 30's on day when he was out on the front lawn skate boarding... Me n my mum were inside making dinner and the smoke hood was open so we didn't hear anything either... It was shockin to think somethung like that happened 3 foot outside our house.

Told the Garda and they did f all like litterly nothing. My brother had bruises and a broken rib to prove what happened. All the Garda did was say 'u do tae kwon do why didn't u defend urself. I was like WTF?

Again, I would like to thank all those you have replied since my last post; it is really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

done! I think most my answers were the same though, hope they're useful! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks again to the few more that filled it out. I am sorry to the thread if I keep repeating myself with these "thank you" posts but I just want to show my appreciation. :)

I don't know if it is related to the end of term but I want to thank those who have replied recently, it is really appreciated

Ok!

Enough with the bumping of this thread, seriously!!

I apologise for troubling people especially as everyone has been so good to fill in the survey already but unfortunately we need more numbers for our findings to be valid. If you are interested in helping us to inform students and teachers about cyberbullying and deal with it as an issue in schools then please copy the link below into your browser to fill in our survey below or forward it to those you think might be interested.

Whether you decide to fill in our survey or not, thank you again for your kind attention :D

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HTRP9QR

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement