Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building my DIY studio!

• 16-02-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I've decided its time for me to step things up a notch.
    Its time for me to get serious with the photography thing and build my little "studio" where i can take more creative pictures of the things i envision in my mind. A little step away from the outdoor nature/landscape photography, something more objective indoor photography. Should also help me understand and manipulate things like lightning and exposure better.

So well, as i'm just a beginner at all of this thing and have little idea about studio photography. I was wondering if anyone of ye could help me with what i'ld need to build my little makeshift studio. Now i'm not planning on building a professional studio for models to come and take pictures in, just somewhere decent where i can set up the right set and lightning to get the proper pictures rather than them looking like i've taken them in my living room or bedroom.
    Basically a lot of influence from the surrealist photographers and such.

I don't have too much money to spend so i'ld be just mostly looking to improvise on things i can find to create the backgrounds and such. And i'll probably keep this thread updated with updates with how the "studio" is coming together. Will probably be also a good way to stay on my goal and not drop out of the plans midway through!...

But to start off i think i need to make a list of all the things i'ld need for the studio so that i can start collecting...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Fair play to you. I'd be interested to see how you get on as am thinking of doing the same in the not so distant future but budget would be tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just watch all these videos, the pages is fantastic inspiration what could be done with little budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Thanks, that looks quite valuable.
    I've been reading around for what i'ld need to build a studio too. Looks like i can sign off a lot of things for duct tape, aluminum foil, pieces of cloth and other stuff i can find around my home or get for cheap!

Its gonna be a very ghetto studio but well, i'm not planning on shooting models in there... Not as yet anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Not sure if people actually do it this way, but I like to have some form of natural light and prefer having a window in the studio, just in case... Obviously with a big blind to close it up, but sometimes you get such beautifull things with natural light, especially portraits (if you were to venture into pêople in ur little studio!)

Curious to see the results, pics of the ghetto studio always welcome when ur done!!

^I think its quite necessary to have natural light too. You get some brilliant images by just using the light from a window. Especially if you want strong shadows.

I think i'll be looking to build something portable too. So when i'm looking to use artificial light and for bigger things, i can work in my garage. But when i want some natural light, i can move to the living room or my bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

a brolly here or here

optical triggers here

and even some flash guns like this one

stands are about a tenner each including delivery but an old tripod and some duct tape work as well, but in all, for less than a night out you're all set

I'm on the look for a light meter, if you find a cheap one let me know

^Cheers mate, thats some really cheap stuff.
    I'm gonna start collecting stuff for the studio from this week onwards and start putting it together bit by bit. Will let you guys know if i find anything interesting and cheap so you can check it out too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

quilmore wrote: »
    and even some flash guns like this one
    That flash gun looks interesting, I assume this is for use as a slave unit yeah?

What would be the best way to use them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

I wouldn't put any of them on the camera
    there is a voltage thing that can kill your camera

the way I use them is with an optical slave, mounted on a cheap tripod and an umbrella on top of it held in place by duct tape

I wouldn't do that for money as it doesn't look good, but for the time been it does the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

this guy has some great instructions and tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Interesting idea.

Natural light would be great to have but something very important is a space.

You mentioned using a garage? If this is the case you may well have a space where you don't need to clear everything away when you have finished a particular shoot.

Firstly I'd paint the walls and shooting section of the floor white. A cheap paint is fine and not too expensive to re-coat as it gets grubby. Are you familiar with an infinity cove? Essentially I'm suggesting something to get rid of the right angle between the walls and the floor and also between adjacent walls. This can create a cheap background without distraction allowing you to concentrate on your particular subject at the time without having to worry about a background unless you have something very specific in mind.

Lighting and stands can be really anything you have to hand or anything that suits your purpose. Some duct tape and cable ties along with some cheap clamps that the likes of Aldi and Lidl have from ime to time

Really interested to hear other suggestions and how you get on with your project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

This threads inspired me to setup some DIY stuff at home too so I was wondering if anyone knows where you can get some of the materials outlined on the DIY sites like thin polystyrene foam sheets, rolls of white and coloured paper\polypropylene etc.

Is there anywhere in Dublin you can just pick this sort of stuff up?

^I think you should be able to find those white rolls of paper in easons or any other crafts store for not much...

I think for today i'm gonna go and get the tripod first.
    Then i'm gonna look for materials to make a soft box/light box (whatever you call it) with... probably.
    Also might look out for those rolls of paper and look around for things that might come handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Check this out for some extra tips. It's such a simple set-up. An old curtain pole, some clamps & a large roll of white paper will do the trick for your background.

Nip down to B&Q for some piano hinges and one large 8X4 sheet of ply to make some shutters to control light. A couple of brollys, stands and remote triggers and hey presto your in business.

My problem is space. I don't have the time to set-up take down all of this kit and I've no spare space to set something like this up in. Bloody building boom and shoebox housing resulting from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Heres mine, I havent found anywhere it cant fit. Lastolite Hi-lite 6x7 and Elinchrom D-Lite 4
    IMG_1168.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Here's some great alternative cheap lighting tips and tricks....

http://digital-photography-school.com/diy-flash-and-lighting-hacks-for-digital-photographers

Advertisement