Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lip piercings wearing away the gum??

• 16-02-2009 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if any of you have experienced a receding gum line from having a lip piercing?
    I've had my monroe/madonna piercing for about 2 years, and the past half year or so, I've noticed my gum receding exactly where the stud rubs on my gum.
    I've been to the dentist and he couldn't tell me if it was the piercing to blame.
    What do you all think? Any experience with this yourselves?
    Thanks in advance,
    Moon Dancer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449571&highlight=receding+gum+line

It depends on peoples anatomies. By the sounds of it, it is the piercing causing the receeding gumline, due to it the piercing rubbing against it and wearing it down. AFAIK there's not much that can be done. Some people get gum damage, some don't. It's all down to the placement and your anatomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Kersmash wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055449571&highlight=receding+gum+line

It depends on peoples anatomies. By the sounds of it, it is the piercing causing the receeding gumline, due to it the piercing rubbing against it and wearing it down. AFAIK there's not much that can be done. Some people get gum damage, some don't. It's all down to the placement and your anatomy.

Thank you very much for the quick reply :D
    Looks like I'm not the only one!
    I've taken it out because I had a gut feeling it was the piercing doing the damage. Aww, & I loved it so much! I'll be happier with having my teeth instead! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Oh God if it's receding take it out now! Two of my friends have had to spend thousands on major reconstructive surgery (that was apparently agonising) because of piercings and gums.

My first labret piercing caused significant gum recession (which I'm prone to anyway, but it made it so much worse) which still hurts and will never fix itself. I took it out before it got too horrible, but I still wish I'd taken it out sooner. Luckily my new one doesn't rub my gums at all though!

The madonna's are meant to be the worst offenders though and if you are prone to it, there's not really much you can do except take it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Agreed, if the gum is receding where the piercing is, you should probably take it out.

Thank you guys!
    I wish I had someone tell me about this before I got it done, I took it out, it's definatly not worth it in the long run. I don't even think there's anyway to get the gum to grow back either. :(
    Thanks again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

If you've had the piercing for a while you can shorten the jewellery and embed it in your lip. It'll pinch for the first few days but protects and prevents the gum from receding further.
    I've done this with the four piercings in my labret and you wouldn't notice they're there at all :)

The only way to replace the gum is to have surgery as it doesn't grow back, but it's only in extreme cases AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 saint_sc

I havnt had any problems with my lip piercing. You can get a special labret stud with like a soft cushiony thing on the back so it doesnt damage your gums. They're called medilabs. They might help. Heres a link:

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/titanium_medilab_labret_stud_16mm_8920752.cfm

I was using the bioplast stud, not sure if it works the same as that one you linked to?

Advertisement