Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Rental

Options
  • 16-02-2009 4:25pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rented a couple of DVD's over the weekend in a fairly well known DVD rental chain in Newbridge.

Herself asked me to drop them back this morning , so I had them in my bag in work and one of the lads noticed them and opened them up to see whatthe movies were , any way on 2 of the 3 DVD's it had "NOT FOR RENTAL" in big bold letters.

I had not noticed this at home and was just wondering is this a common practice in DVD Rental stores to buy consumer products and rent them on a commercial basis ? Is it even legal ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Sounds illegal. Ask them about it and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

There was a chain called movies4u2c that did this and apparently got into trouble with it & got fined...

It's compeletely illegal as purchasing a "for sale" copy of a DVD is cheaper then a rental one for these stores, as the rental one is a license to rent out multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

It is illegal as far as i know because if you read the small print on DVD boxes it states any reproduction, distribution..... and will result in legal proceedings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There was a chain called movies4u2c that did this and apparently got into trouble with it & got fined...

It's compeletely illegal as purchasing a "for sale" copy of a DVD is cheaper then a rental one for these stores, as the rental one is a license to rent out multiple times.

Thats what I was thinking ,
    At the end of the day I had the decency to go and pay to rent out my film when its so easy to download/buy a pirated copy these days, and i feel this company is taking the p**s !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The simple answer would be they have the same movie for sale and rental and the discs got swopped by accident, although the illegally renting them one is more likely...

• Advertisement
Advertisement