Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth upgrading from a 400d to a secondhand 40d

• 16-02-2009 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Or should i just save the cash and get an L series lens for my 400d.

A guy has an advert where he is selling his 40d plus some nice kit and i'm thinking of taking the plunge.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

In my opinion the lens goes before the camera. Go buy a nice l lens you will probably get more use out of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Depending on what you would be using it for.

I upgraded from a 350D. Reason I did it was because I was interested in sport so I wanted the 6.5fps that the 40D has.

It also would have much better IQ at higher ISO and you have the ability to go up to 3200 ISO. 800 is 100% usable and 1600 is acceptable. You prob won't get that on a 400d.

If you were going to be shooting sport or wildlife then I would say yes, upgrade as the difference is massive.

If you were only going to be shooting landscapes then upgrading is a little pointless as the IQ diference between the 400 and 40d would be minute I would imagine and you wouldn't need the speed or high ISO either. It does have spot metering though which the 400D doesn't have.

The 40D also has liveview but I can't comment on that as I haven't even turned it on on the 40D yet in 6 months usage!!

Last thing, I took out the 350D from the press last week to take photos of it for an ad and it looked and felt like a cheap toy camera compared to the 40D and grip that I have now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd go for the 40D, wait til you see the difference in your hands as well as it's many more features.
    You can get an L lense anytime.
    I found the shutter on the 400D quite poor compared to the 450D and then the 40D.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Last thing, I took out the 350D from the press last week to take photos of it for an ad and it looked and felt like a cheap toy camera compared to the 40D and grip that I have now!!
    +1
    I sold my 400D to a friend and when I got to see it again a few months later and hold it it felt absolutely like a toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

You can get an L lense anytime.

Is there no recession in your world? How can you afford to buy so much really expensive equipment without making any income from it?

If you have the money id go for the 40D. I have the 400D myself and when i tried my brothers 30D it feels so much bigger, heavier, and all together nicer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kgiller wrote: »
    If you have the money id go for the 40D. I have the 400D myself and when i tried my brothers 30D it feels so much bigger, heavier, and all together nicer.
    Of course if you don't really need something bigger and heavier then one might want to hang onto the 400D... you still have to lug the thing around!

As mentioned, depends on what type of photography you are into. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Kgiller, It's a hobby and I'm worth it! :p
    I hope to start earning a few licckle paid jobs in the next few months, nowt major but enough to start paying for Lens hoods and filters. :D

I just think the 40D will really step him up to another level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I was planning on going for a 40D from 400D until a very wise boardsie and friend (Fajitas) advised me to go for a 5DmkI. For me, the jump was quite nice :)

the 40D is a lot nicer than the 400D and has many more useful features, but L glass (depending on lens) is worth the money more really.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

Well, food for thought indeed. I should have posted more detail. I'm into landscapes and the like but recently have been take with macro photography and the potential for great shots with some basic home setup and a couple of flashes - strobist has me hooked.

I have put in an offer and its been accepted , the clincher was the EFS-17-55 F2.8 lens that came along with it. It is by all accounts a beauty.

Once i get it in my hands i'll post an update. Many thanks for everybody's time on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

kgiller wrote: »
    Is there no recession in your world? How can you afford to buy so much really expensive equipment without making any income from it?

One could argue that the OP is doing their patriotic duty by keeping money flowing through the economy. The end result of whatever he/she spends on that camera is that a certain percentage will find its way back into a cash register, thus keeping some hard working person in a job.

If everybody gets so scared that they weld their purses shut then it could be worse than anybody has imagined.

I thought we where meant to spend our way out of a recession !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I'm watching this thread as I am looking to do the same, except I would probably go for a new 40D (just need to save a few more bob).

OP, for what it's worth, I was told the difference in images is between the 400D & the 40D is massive in quality. I haven't received any negative remarks about upgrading. I was advised to keep the 400D as a backup camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

weeslip wrote: »
    I thought we where meant to spend our way out of a recession !

That's the Keynesian theory. But it's hard to spend when banks wont lend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tickle Head

Well, food for thought indeed. I should have posted more detail. I'm into landscapes and the like but recently have been take with macro photography and the potential for great shots with some basic home setup and a couple of flashes - strobist has me hooked.

I have put in an offer and its been accepted , the clincher was the EFS-17-55 F2.8 lens that came along with it. It is by all accounts a beauty.

Once i get it in my hands i'll post an update. Many thanks for everybody's time on this.

Well done on your purchase. You won't regret it. As a 450D owner who now has a 40D, you will never look back, though you will be tempted by 5D's and 1D's. I still love my 450D and cannot say anything bad about it but the 40D feels lovely in the hands.

Enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd almost say the glass would be better,
    as i see(this is just my opinion) the 40D as more of a semi pro sports body,the fact it's got 6.5 FPS which isn't far off canon's older pro models which sports photographer use(i'm sure some still do)

I think either upgrade to some nicer glass of hold onto the money and get a 5D mkI as the full frame would give you some extra reach with your landscapes.

Edit:Just seen adverts,i'd look very closely at the test pics he posts

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ShaneM

Always a good idea to upgrade your kit if you can afford it & you think you'll need the extra features.

I find it's time to upgrade when you're screaming at the camera when it won't do what you want it to do, ie higher ISO levels, faster shutter speeds etc.

I went a similar route from a 300d to 300d & 20d. Then 20d & 30d, selling the 300d. Then took a big step & got a bargain 2nd hand 1d MkII & sold the 20d. Would consider selling the 30d to part fund a 5d MkII.

If you can get a few jobs that helps the funding of your kit all the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Get the 40D. External flash control with the 400D sucks big time. I am not hugely into strobist stuff but I found a 400D unworkable for what I wanted to do with external flash before Christmas.

Hi Ricky91t,

I have asked him to send the pics on to me. Buying second hand camera is all a bit new to me to i'll stick with it and see how it goes.

If anybody has any experiences or tips on what i should look out for they would be welcome.

I can post the pics here if anybody is interested.

Advertisement