Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which speed do I need?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Now that a little one is on its way I have finally decided to go with fixed broadband but need some help to decide. I would be using it mostly for webcam, Skype and plain browsing. Do I need more than 1Mb download speed? Also, how much traffic I am likely to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The upload is the issue for Webcam.
    Chose a package with at least 384Kbps upload. (easier on Cable and Metro). So you may need 3Mbps on DSL to get a decent upload.

Unless you use BB for P2P and watching TV, the traffic is not an issue.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

inigo wrote: »
    Now that a little one is on its way I have finally decided to go with fixed broadband but need some help to decide. I would be using it mostly for webcam, Skype and plain browsing. Do I need more than 1Mb download speed? Also, how much traffic I am likely to use?

where are you living, what options are open to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

watty, thank you!

Rorser, that was my next question. I'm in Dublin 14, very near Belfield-Dublin 4. After a lot of reading and unless UPC have improved their service (I have heard too many stories of friends loosing holidays waiting for engineers), I have narrowed the search to (please fell free to suggest other options):

BT Broadband Only Option 2: €32.63 per month, 3 or 6 Mb download, 30 Gb traffic, free connection, free modem

Digiweb Metro Value: €34.95 per month (incl. line rental), 5 Mb download, 20 Gb traffic, €99 installation fee

Eircom seem to always stick a bundle with talk minutes, which I don't want or need (or the phone line for that matter).

I am not looking for the cheapest option only, but a reasonable service (including customer service) at a reasonable price. Can you help me decide who to go with?

watty, thank you!

Rorser, that was my next question. I'm in Dublin 14, very near Belfield-Dublin 4. After a lot of reading and unless UPC have improved their service (I have heard too many stories of friends loosing holidays waiting for engineers), I have narrowed the search to (please fell free to suggest other options):

BT Broadband Only Option 2: €32.63 per month, 3 or 6 Mb download, 30 Gb traffic, free connection, free modem

Digiweb Metro Value: €34.95 per month (incl. line rental), 5 Mb download, 20 Gb traffic, €99 installation fee

Eircom seem to always stick a bundle with talk minutes, which I don't want or need (or the phone line for that matter).

I am not looking for the cheapest option only, but a reasonable service (including customer service) at a reasonable price. Can you help me decide who to go with?

Do you know if you can get uncontended services? Smart/Magnet?

To be honest, I've no idea. Are they any good? I can only check availability with a current telephone number I don't actually have... Would I need to rent the line or would they work without it?

• Advertisement

To be honest, I've no idea. Are they any good? I can only check availability with a current telephone number I don't actually have... Would I need to rent the line or would they work without it?

Well where do you live...i can probably tell you straight off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

well 1mbit/s will be enough if your provider can make it
    i personally downgraded my ntl to 10 from 20mbit recently because i hardly got above 3mbit/s in peak hour..., start off with the slowest it's easier to upgrade

Ok, to sum up, I am not a demanding internet user and only want broadband, no telephone lines or TV packages. Since UPC seem to be "Winners of two Customer Services awards in 2008" :confused:, I'll include them too:

BT Broadband Only Option 2: €32.63 p/m, 3 or 6 Mb download, 30 Gb traffic, free connection, free wireless modem

Digiweb Metro Value: €34.95 p/m, 5 Mb download, 512 Kb upload, 20 Gb traffic, €99 installation fee (total = €43.20 p/m in 1st year)

UPC Broadband Value: €28.00 p/m, 3 Mb download, 256Kb upload, 20 Gb traffic, free installation, wireless router €49.99 (total = €32.17 p/m in 1st year)

It looks like BT or UPC... Which one would you choose?

Advertisement