Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People claiming social benefits

Options
  • 16-02-2009 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Does anyone else think it a good idea that people on the dole should do odd-jobs for the government first, sort of like earning the free money given to you by the state?

A lot could be done with the unemployed, they could volunteer in hospitals, tend to the elderly or even something simple like clean the streets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

mojorisin wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it a good idea that people on the dole should do odd-jobs for the government first, sort of like earning the free money given to you by the state?

A lot could be done with the unemployed, they could volunteer in hospitals, tend to the elderly or even something simple like clean the streets.

It's not free money. It's your money. The money you've paid in by means of PRSI.

Now, after that's run out, then you may have a plan. But I sure as hell am not going to work for my money twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

This has already been discussed in numerous other threads.

oh and..

NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

Are you on the dole yourself? I have a feeling you're not. Can I ask you how you would feel if you were on the dole and they forced you clean the streets. I can't imagine you being very happy about that. Would anyone actually be happy to be forced to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think this is a stupid thoughtless thread. I am on the dole. I am desperate to find work. I will do ANY work once I get paid at least 100 euro more than the dole to justify expenses in travel. In the short term I will do anything at all even if it only pays my dole. I will work nights, I will work evenings. I will shovel your sh1t what ever! you get the picture

If people on the dole start working for "Free" how long do you think the govt would take to take advantage of this and start laying people off in hospitals librarys road maintenance etc

But I have a great Idea. Lets put people on the dole in the labour exchanges and welfare offices. Then when somebody who comes in out of work they will understand their plight and have a bit of pity on them instead of saying there is 200 euro a week come into a 4 member family so thats all I can give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

:eek:HELLO THE DOLE IS NOT FREE MONEY.
    Are you on the dole,I think not.People pay PRSI,TAX etc.
    What makes you think we should slave for the government when its those ba***rds put us on the dole in the first place.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

As i think its been pointed out the dole is not free money. You pay your PRSI and you are entitled to it.

I think your idea is a bad one. The government would certainly take advantage. You must realise that not everyone on the dole want to be out of work. In fact most of the people on the dole now are desperately seeking work beacuse the dole is not making ends meet and these people have worked all their life and come accustomed to a good life.

Making them brush the streets isnt going to help anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 underflowers

That is probably the most ignorant and thoughtless post I've ever read. You obviously have no understanding of how the system works. The vast majority of people on the Dole are hardworking, tax-paying citizens who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own whatsoever.

"They" that you speak of could be you tomorrow and somehow I doubt you would be happy to take up your own suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wah

the campaign of the demonisation of the public service seems to be turning on people on social welfare now.The Goodbody Stockbrokers report yesterday
    talked about cuts in social welfare, thats rich coming from Goodbodys seeing that they are part of Allied Irish Banks who have just got a couple of billlions of the taxpayers , and now they want to raid social welfare pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have a feeling that the guys employed by the council for street-cleaning might have a problem with your idea. And the nurses/care-assistants employed looking after dependent elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

JustMary wrote: »
    I have a feeling that the guys employed by the council for street-cleaning might have a problem with your idea. And the nurses/care-assistants employed looking after dependent elderly people.

I agree.
    About 12 or 13 years ago when i was unemployed i went on a CE Scheme
    (Think that's what it was called). I worked with the Council, Clearing overgrown areas and helping in housing estates. For a couple of weeks we were sent down to "help" some of the council workers who were surfacing a new road, only we were not allowed to help when we got there as "the union wouldnt like it" and something to do with insurance.

It makes me laugh when people assume that everyone who claims a social welfare payment must be a lazy layabout. When i did that ce scheme i was constantly praised for my hard working nature- which is a characteristic of me as a person whether i was in paid employment or not.
    I know of people who are in jobs and do nothing but walk around with the appearance of being busy, but get paid, yet have the nerve to slag off people on social welfare!

I think some people need to be on the "dole" to realise that it's not free money and an easy ride-then perhaps they may change their opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

chasm wrote: »
    I agree.
    I know of people who are in jobs and do nothing but walk around with the appearance of being busy, but get paid, yet have the nerve to slag off people on social welfare!

I think some people need to be on the "dole" to realise that it's not free money and an easy ride-then perhaps they may change their opinions.

Couldnt be said better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

people already get paid to sweet the streets.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

People who haven't worked a day in their lives and claim should definitely be made work by the state to earn their money. People who have worked and paid their PRSI are entitled to their Unemployment 'Benefit' so shouldn't have to do anything for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

OP, I totally disagree with everything you say. I've just had to make a claim for Jobseekers Benefit for the first time in my working life (34 years). I've therefore paid into the system all this time and it's now time for me to benefit from that. Think of it as claiming on an insurance policy and you might understand a little better. I don't want to be on benefits, by the way, I'd rather be working, but the way things are right now I feel as if I haven't a hope of a job for a long time. Won't stop me looking and hoping though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Vananna

Excuse me but the €204 that I recieve from the Government every week is not "free money" as you put it. I'm 36, I finished school at 18 and up until October this year I've always been employed. I have paid my taxes and contributed to this economy and society in many ways. How dare you or anyone else for that matter judge me and dictate what I should do in order to get this "free money".
    As my mother always says, "ignorance is bliss"! Do with that what you will.

Vananna wrote: »
    Excuse me but the €204 that I recieve from the Government every week is not "free money" as you put it. I'm 36, I finished school at 18 and up until October this year I've always been employed. I have paid my taxes and contributed to this economy and society in many ways. How dare you or anyone else for that matter judge me and dictate what I should do in order to get this "free money".
    As my mother always says, "ignorance is bliss"! Do with that what you will.
    Soz, October last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Ive had a really ****e day so i REALLY REALLY should not reply to this...Ive just read your post and you make me, one of the many unemployed of this country feel like one of the great bloody unwashed. How bloody dare you post such a **** ****e crap stupid post....Ive been unemployed since Nov, the FIRST bloody time since i started my working life at 21 years of age so give or take 11-12 years. Ive never claimed social welfare, even as a working single mum, i never claimed OPFA.

I now get every thur €224 euro...wow, free money to put my kids through school. To feed, clothe, entertain and heat them also. Its frigging impossible on the FREE money i get every week.

I would give anything to be working and to be a role model again to my son and daughter. I dont want handouts, sympathy charity or otherwise, there are thousands worse off than me, but you've in one post, made us
    unemployed feel like ****e for being such.
    Ive gone on 45 Interviews since Nov and sent out so many Cvs, i could paper my estate, but basically because of my experience, im judged too expensive to hire.
    Im trying like everyone else to get something to boost my money, so please dont be sactimonious and judgemental about us on the dole, get off your cross, as maybe one of us could sell it for firewood.

Well said monicabing. I know exactly how you're feeling. Good luck with the job hunting.

Vananna wrote: »
    Well said monicabing. I know exactly how you're feeling. Good luck with the job hunting.

Thank Van, it makes my blood boil reading this type of thread, its just so dis-heartening out there at the moment out there isnt it?:(

It really is but I try and keep as positive as I can. I never thought I'd end up not being able to find something. Like you I have a lot of experience in my field and this seems to be a hindrence to me. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paul_white

first of all i STRONGLY agree with Monica :) Good luck in the hunt..... but then again I agree on the other party for one reason only........it makes me sick that people who have never worked a day in their lives and many of whom do not intend to get to sit at home on their arse day in day out yet the people who have worked and are recently unemployed and activly searching for a job are struggling to get by on day to day necessitys while their on the same money as the "bums"...sorry for the spelling just trying to get this all out like verbal dieorea ....:)

Look there are many people out there who have ben unemployed for years and I think given half a chance they'd jump at the chance of working but it's not all black and white. A lot of these people probably have very low self esteem and very low confidence. These people need a lot of support from the Government in order to get into the workforce. Unfortunately in the current climate that's not likely to happen.
    I ageree that there are probably people out there who just couldn't be bothered but I strongly believe they are far and few between.

paul_white wrote: »
    first of all i STRONGLY agree with Monica :) Good luck in the hunt..... but then again I agree on the other party for one reason only........it makes me sick that people who have never worked a day in their lives and many of whom do not intend to get to sit at home on their arse day in day out yet the people who have worked and are recently unemployed and activly searching for a job are struggling to get by on day to day necessitys while their on the same money as the "bums"...sorry for the spelling just trying to get this all out like verbal dieorea ....:)

Paul, im completely with you on that one and i'll tell you why. My daughter is in secondary school and for some bloody reason the teachers of 3 of her subjects wanted different books to what i and the other parents bought last sept. So i went into school supply shop last wed to price books, said books came to a lovely €84.70. F*** where do i get the money for them? She's been given unfairly, detention twice for not having the books, and singled out in class by the teachers, despite my ringing the school to explain why.

Anyhoo i digress, so i decide on thur morn last to shelve my pride(and boy did that take some doing) and go to the local Community welfare officer to ask if i could get some help. I was laughed at, and practically told to "feck off are ya mad"? But whilst there, i overheard 2 women discuss with the guy behind them their "tale" for the CWO this week. Apparently if i have an alcohol/drug problem the CWO would have looked on me more kindly and passed out the cash or whatever they give.

Discussing this later with a friend she said these 2 women are up there on a weekly basis and always come away with help, im astounded at this!

How do these people get away with it? Is there no system in place to stop this abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paul_white

True very true it just irritates me because i know so many people who aren't bothered in working and they have a car and everything is grand yet i'm working my arse off and can bearly afford to keep my car on the road like wdf is the stpry with that like anyway im all good now ive got what i needed to say off my chest :) Also some CWO's are very soft and will give money to anyone anytime any place no matter what its really just pot luck no matter what your story is more than likely they will tell you to go to MABS and get a "letter" and come back to them and most dont bother because it involves "effort" and they didnt get the easy money that they hoped but genuine people tend to follow through and thats who they give the money to...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

OP I'll give you €1 from my dole money so you can buy yourself a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

LFCFan wrote: »
    People who haven't worked a day in their lives and claim should definitely be made work by the state to earn their money. People who have worked and paid their PRSI are entitled to their Unemployment 'Benefit' so shouldn't have to do anything for it.

And what would you suggest when benefit runs out and they claim for allowance, that they then go out and sweep the streets etc? Folks are entitled to both benefit and allowance (subject to a means test)

Advertisement