Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options
  • 16-02-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Its Rag week in Galway next week, both NUIG and GMIT are the same week...
    Does RAG week upset anyone?? Does any one live in town and have to put up with the added noise??

As a student I'm looking forward it but I can also see how annoying it might be for people living near the centre of town or near the student villages...Messy stuff

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Students raising money for charity, why would that be messy, keep people awake or upset anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm staying well away from town. Its just a chance for students to attempt to drink more than they usually do and disguise a pissup as a charity event. Put 10% of the money spent drinking into charity and it'd be far more successful than it will be.

Supermacs will love it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

snubbleste wrote: »
    Students raising money for charity, why would that be messy, keep people awake or upset anyone?

Yes raising money for charity is whats going to be happening :p

Also in the pubs drinking as soon as they open..general mayhem and messiness from about noon every day (depending on the size of the hangover from the night before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Going out in town during RAG week is absurd as the lines for the clubs are totally ridiculous. . and im also pretty certain in recent years the "charity" aspect has gone completely out the window.

I think the clubs should turn over a percentage of their door money to whatever charity that could perhaps be decided upon by both colleges so a really large worthwhile contribution could be made, rather than having a few different charities.
    Basically the charity aspect should be more heavily advertised and or campaigned. I couldnt tell you what we collected for at any of the RAG weeks i had during college which in my mind tells me they were pushing the activities rather than the charity aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I've been in college six years an never even realised there was a charity aspect to RAG week.

Every year rag week comes round and I feel I should possible be out and "living it up" with the rest of the gob****es but in all honesty going out drinking just isn't me. I've never really enjoyed it at all. My annual RAG week inner struggle actually gets me down at times. I feel I'm missing out on life a bit by not participating. Oh well.

At least there's the opportunity to see attention whores flash their tits and sometimes get completely naked in the various activities specifically designed to produce flesh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have a friend that lives in Woodquay and works. He takes the week off and goes away every year because the noise is too much to bare. The idea of the nightclubs giving 10% to charity is good but they'd never go for it. It will actually be a nice boost for the city this year. Might not be so good for the parents paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I dont know much about RAG week up here but UL has well publicised charity events and the grand total for donations every year is usually 20k at least. Plenty of drinking too though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

In Cork it was the same, but a lot of it got culled after a bunch of planks decided to attack an ambulance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

who knows what time ya'll have to start quencing this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

does anyone know if nightclubs do donate anything to the charities during RAG week?

cause i know for the last few years, i always see posters for the mian clubs saying stuff like: "offical RAG week foam party/ offical RAG week night in here" ect ect.

do they actualy donate stuff to charity from the "offical rag week" parties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The clubs don't but then what do you expect. It's not there place to raise money for charity. Students always get emails and **** encouraging them not to go into town blah blah blah.

And they are expecting to raise 20k this year for charity. It's pointless giving out about it. For example if it was cancelled an unofficial one would just start up in it's place and no money would be raised for charity.

This is going to be my 5th RAG week. Every single year the charity/events organised by the college grows smaller and smaller, only to be replaced by drinking.

Organise more events. Get people interested in activites that do not involve drinking, or figure out how to try and control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm a student and I think RAG week is overrated. I don't see what's so much better about drinking during that one particular week over the other 51 weeks in the year. I have a good social life all year round. The way some people go on about RAG week, you'd swear it was the best week since the week that sliced bread was invented! :o

This is going to be my 5th RAG week. Every single year the charity/events organised by the college grows smaller and smaller, only to be replaced by drinking.

Organise more events. Get people interested in activites that do not involve drinking, or figure out how to try and control it.

I was always a big big fan of rag week, had some brilliant weeks over the years and Im disappointed I wont be around Galway that week, though I may take a a day off and head up for one day of it.

Now I know it sounds bad but I nor any of the people I know had any interest in events during rag week, the only time we would spent in the college that week would be a trip to the college bar other than that we would be drinking back at houses or in pubs in down having the craic. I would give money if I saw people collecting for stuff alright during the week but events(especially non-alcohol) would never have appealed to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

snubbleste wrote: »

Have you ever been around for a RAG week??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I live in town and never had a problem with ragweek.
    Its raceweek thats a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

bigeasyeah wrote: »

I've been living in town for one of each, and they seemed equally bad. Except that race-week was more tightly policed, so there was far less broken glass on the streets.

The only charity that will be making any serious money out of the event are the pub/club owners.

IMHO the universities cannot be making their courses hard enough if students can afford the time to take a week off to get plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

JustMary wrote: »
    I've been living in town for one of each, and they seemed equally bad. Except that race-week was more tightly policed, so there was far less broken glass on the streets.

The only charity that will be making any serious money out of the event are the pub/club owners.

IMHO the universities cannot be making their courses hard enough if students can afford the time to take a week off to get plastered.

The beauty of copying notes is you can afford to take the almost entire year off to get plastered and still pass your exams. ;)

Yes,college is easy.:rolleyes:
    I presume you have never been.You think we all take the week off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

paddyb125 wrote: »
    Have you ever been around for a RAG week??

yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes,college is easy.:rolleyes:
    I presume you have never been.You think we all take the week off?

I cannot see that it's possible to do the compulsory weekly assignments that I did in college, and still partake of RAG week festivities to the extent that people do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

Rag week is messy, but if you take it at a steady pace and know who to get your notes from .... the world will be in balance and your exams will all be oooookaayyyy.

That and a happy go lucky attitude :rolleyes:

I cannot see that it's possible to do the compulsory weekly assignments that I did in college, and still partake of RAG week festivities to the extent that people do!

I always had at least two labs a week during rag week and I never missed one any rag week even if I was dieing a slow and painful death from drink(or half drunk). Now lectures were a different story most would be missed rag week but a lot of them would be canceled anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Raceweek is a messy one alright, but the crowd around for race week is alot more civil than the crowd around for rag week, the sheer number of people around for race week makes it look that much worse, but when you look at the damage some of the students cause during rag week then id be more inclined to say rag week is worse. Especially with the amount of immature boozed up twats that are around during rag week. I know its a minority of students who act the clown but after working in a bar for 3 or 4 rag weeks i have seen plenty of things that only attention seeking students could do. Im glad im not around for them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Fun times. A certain lecturer has decided to give out continuous assessment marks for simply attending her class during rag week.

As for the assignment things, I just get a week ahead in all of my work and hand everything up before the monday
    You're talking as if people never get the flu and miss a few days of college

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

What happened in Glasan Sunday night. I heard it got wrecked again does anyone know or if rag week starting early this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The official stance is that tutorials and labs are still on. Story can vary for lectures. Not so lucky for seminars -- marks for attendance and lots of questions if absent.

As always, a few will go too far and have close misses with death or serious injury.

I refuse to accept that the ragweek crowd are any less civil than that of raceweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

I refuse to accept that the ragweek crowd are any less civil than that of raceweek.

[Rant begins]

I have to disagree here. I have been working both rag and race week for 8+ years now and what goes on during rag week is always worse.

Race week while it is very busy around and the place can be left a mess afterwards the worst I come across is people that think they are someone big. The most often used one's "Do you not know who I am." , "I pay your wages" and the ever popular "I'll have your job in the morning". Well if you want my job your welcome to it most of them dont know what to say then. Aside from them being verbally abused and the whole stuck up, snobbiness of it all its ok and not much trouble.

Rag week is totally different while you get all the same as during race week. The place is always in a worse mess afterwards and along with being verbally abused sometimes it could get physical as well, I have been hit on more than one occasion. I have also witnessed random vandalism such as damage to cars, pulling up flower beds, destroying young tree's, pulling signs out of the ground and more. The petty stealing that goes on when they are on the way home as well taking kids bike's have some sense at least take a full sized one that you can use. The worst I came across was someone had taken a dump on a couch how fu**ed up are you. I have never seen anyone during race week acting like that.

All of this I have seen and witnessed for myself so I know it goes on. Nobody minds rag week the bit of noise and mess will be put up with. It's the ass's that will ruin it for everyone and they are in the minority.

[Rant ends]

• Advertisement

dcukhunter wrote: »
    [Rant begins]

I have to disagree here. I have been working both rag and race week for 8+ years now and what goes on during rag week is always worse.

Race week while it is very busy around and the place can be left a mess afterwards the worst I come across is people that think they are someone big. The most often used one's "Do you not know who I am." , "I pay your wages" and the ever popular "I'll have your job in the morning". Well if you want my job your welcome to it most of them dont know what to say then. Aside from them being verbally abused and the whole stuck up, snobbiness of it all its ok and not much trouble.

Rag week is totally different while you get all the same as during race week. The place is always in a worse mess afterwards and along with being verbally abused sometimes it could get physical as well, I have been hit on more than one occasion. I have also witnessed random vandalism such as damage to cars, pulling up flower beds, destroying young tree's, pulling signs out of the ground and more. The petty stealing that goes on when they are on the way home as well taking kids bike's have some sense at least take a full sized one that you can use. The worst I came across was someone had taken a dump on a couch how fu**ed up are you. I have never seen anyone during race week acting like that.

All of this I have seen and witnessed for myself so I know it goes on. Nobody minds rag week the bit of noise and mess will be put up with. It's the ass's that will ruin it for everyone and they are in the minority.

[Rant ends]

Ive seen the same and worse during raceweek.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement