Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    The only thing missing will be the €30k or so that appears to have been raised for charity in UCG last week. But that's a small price to pay for temporarily mollifying the white middle-class professional complainers.

I remain confident that the elderly people who were terrorised / offended by RAG week behaviour will continue to give more to charity than the allegedly "poor" students will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

JustMary wrote: »
    I remain confident that the elderly people who were terrorised / offended by RAG week behaviour will continue to give more to charity than the allegedly "poor" students will.

'terrorised/offended'
    did you ever write for the daily mail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

There last Wednesday I was walking down by the Bus station and there was a homeless guy asleep on the ground. A load of lads came walking by, and one of them took a dump beside him. Afterwards he pulled up his pants and shouted 'Rag Week 09 Baby, Wooop!'. It was fairly disgusting but worth it! Couldn't stop laughing, :D:D:D. Anyway he will remember to not go for a kip there next year. :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You actually find that amusing? Is there something wrong with you?

holy crap!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

There was a good 10 inch shite on the stairwell of my apartment block during rag week.

I don't really know why taking a shite in inappropriate places seems to be the fad during rag week.

There was a good 10 inch shite on the stairwell of my apartment block during rag week.

I don't really know why taking a shite in inappropriate places seems to be the fad during rag week.

It happens the whole time though.Its never excusable but do you know for sure it was a student?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Thankfully, I have figures to back up my side of the argument, have you?

Perhaps you'd like to conduct some form of door-to-door survey, grading levels of intimidation and working in a factor of charitable goodwill by those same "terrorised" denizens?

Stats or gtfo and stop trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

I loved rag week back in college. We got ****ed up, had a laugh but didn't act the maggot. IT is getting out of hand these days, it's not fun unless you do it Jackass style. Freshers these days are like babies left off the leash for the day, they can't handle it. I finished college 4 years ago and started seeing the 'take it to the extreme' mentality kicking in with the freshers.

NUIG raised how much for charity - 25 to 30k? There's 15,000 students there so that works out at 2 euro each. Well done lads. Awesome work.

Anyone got a figure what the clean up/emergency services bill was?

Don't be hatin' on the player, be hatin' on the game fo sho!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Myggel wrote: »
    I loved rag week back in college. We got ****ed up, had a laugh but didn't act the maggot. IT is getting out of hand these days, it's not fun unless you do it Jackass style. Freshers these days are like babies left off the leash for the day, they can't handle it. I finished college 4 years ago and started seeing the 'take it to the extreme' mentality kicking in with the freshers.

NUIG raised how much for charity - 25 to 30k? There's 15,000 students there so that works out at 2 euro each. Well done lads. Awesome work.

is there 15000 students in galway or is that for NUIG alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

jenno86 wrote: »
    There last Wednesday I was walking down by the Bus station and there was a homeless guy asleep on the ground. A load of lads came walking by, and one of them took a dump beside him. Afterwards he pulled up his pants and shouted 'Rag Week 09 Baby, Wooop!'. It was fairly disgusting but worth it! Couldn't stop laughing, :D:D:D. Anyway he will remember to not go for a kip there next year. :D:D:D:D:D

Yeh thats reeeeeeeal funny, so funny that if i saw it happening i would have thrown a bottle or something at that toerag of a student, that kinda crap is what gives the other students a bad name. Im around the same ages as alot of students and i would never do that, its attention seeking bs. Its reasons like that the river inn closed its doors to students, or that anyone with half a brain cell will stay away from the hole in the wall during rag week, because they think its funny to tear the wall paper off the wall and **** in a glass. Those types of lads are real popular with the ladies (a small hint of sarcasm there btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    is there 15000 students in galway or is that for NUIG alone?

That's NUIG alone. From Wikipedia.

That's NUIG alone. From Wikipedia.

cool.so add that to what the other colleges raised.i think that will more than cover the cost of the extra services onhand.very considerate of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cool.so add that to what the other colleges raised.i think that will more than cover the cost of the extra services onhand.very considerate of them.

I'd say the boost to the local economy from increesed sales in almost all bars and eating establishments would more than make up for it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

jenno86 wrote: »

All i can hope is that with an attitude like that towards people, and the economy being what it is, this person might just find himself in a similar position in a few year's time. It's completely disgusting. He probably brought his streakmarked pants home to his mammy to wash that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

jenno86, if that's the kind of treatment of the vulnerable you admire and respect, I can only hope that someday you find yourself in a similarly vulnerable position and receive similar treatment.

The simian f*cker that did it deserves to be beaten so badly he needs a colostomy bag and can no longer choose where and when he defecates.

Christ just a couple of days ago we had a thread about more abuse of the homeless, I don't understand people sometimes...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Christ just a couple of days ago we had a thread about more abuse of the homeless, I don't understand people sometimes...

It seems some people like to strip the last remnants of dignity from a person who has had so much trouble in their lives that they end up sleeping on the street. And what's worse, some others think this is funny and to be admired and boast about it being great on an internet forum assuming that everyone will agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is an interesting article on homelessness (I know it's off topic ;)) .
    http://www.simon.ie/index.php?page=why-people-become-homeless
    While people from all walks of life have become homeless, general the experiences that lead to homelessness are underpinned by poverty.

For many years homelessness was seen as a failure by the individual, it is now commonly accepted that homelessness is a structural as opposed to a personal problem.

Many of the people who are currently homeless are in this situation because of a failure of public services to adequately meet their needs in the past. Many have experienced various forms of institutionalisation over the lives. Others have experienced family breakdown or mental ill health, and there have been insufficient responses to ensure that the person does not become homeless. Many people when they first 'present' as homeless have little other than a housing need, which with appropriate support, could be address immediately.

The causes of homelessness can be broken down into risk factors: general societal factors that can make individuals/groups more vulnerable to homelessness and trigger factors: which are specific point in time events which provoke homelessness.

The 'individual' risk factors associated with homelessness include:
    * poverty
    * unemployment
    * family disputes and breakdown
    * sexual or physical abuse
    * a background of residential care
    * experience of prison or the armed forces
    * drug or alcohol misuse; school exclusion
    * and poor mental or physical health

The specific events which 'trigger' homelessness include:
    * leaving the parental home following disputes
    * marital or relationship breakdown
    * eviction
    * widowhood
    * discharge from the armed forces;
    * leaving care
    * leaving prison
    * and a sharp deterioration in mental health or an increase in alcohol or drug misuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

And people wonder why students get a bad name!! It's ****ing morons like the person who jenno86 saw (and jenno himself for finding it 'hillarious' ) thats gives them a bad name!
    Was alking home last week at night and it was like night of the living dead around town with wave upon wave of morons stumbling all over the place. I would have loved to take a **** on one of them while they were passed out on the road and see how funny they would have found it the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Had to laugh when I saw this story on galwaynews.ie which was accompanied by this picture: Rag_week_car.jpg

I live in the same housing estate as the people who own that car and saw the car on the day that this happened. I think it's worth pointing out that:
    • This didn't happen during rag week, it happened the week before.
    • What the picture doesn't show is the front of the car which had a sign left on it saying just married.
    Make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

so where's the proof its all the IT students causing hassle and not raising money? Bit of a double standard considering only 1 out of the 40 arrested were from gmit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

hacktavist wrote: »
    so where's the proof its all the IT students causing hassle and not raising money? Bit of a double standard considering only 1 out of the 40 arrested were from gmit.

Woah! Cover those raw nerves!

They probably meant "It is getting out of hand." I laughed at that because it looked like Information Technology the way it was done.

And that's not what a double standard is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Woah! Cover those raw nerves!

They probably meant "It is getting out of hand." I laughed at that because it looked like Information Technology the way it was done.

Indeed. Had to read it a few times before realising what was meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

It happens the whole time though.Its never excusable but do you know for sure it was a student?

I live in a student complex which can only be accessed by the students living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gmitStu

Das Kitty wrote: »
    ethernet wrote: »
    Indeed. Had to read it a few times before realising what was meant.

Ha, lets all laugh at the dumbass who attends GMIT.

I also attend GMIT and can confirm the place is full under-educated idiots.

Although the previous college I went to was full of idiots too. I'm slowly beginning realize that the quality of Irish third level students is disappointingly poor.

All the people I know who are in NUIG are not exactly the brightest of sparks either, so the problem is not confined to the I.T.s

Bring back fees to deter the morons is my slogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Ok fair enough I misunderstood, but it saying fair play to nuig for having rag week and saying gmit are just getting pissed isn't really fair when its just both colleges getting pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

gmitStu wrote: »
    Bring back fees to deter the morons is my slogan.

Thats a bit of a harsh statment tbh, what about the people who attend college and are not idiots and who dont have a wealthy background to support them in college?
    tbh I find that most of the people who are "school smart" generally dont have a ounce of common sence, but I am also amazed at the amount of clowns in college who act like a 2 yr old when they get a bit of drink in them. Then again everyone acts like a bit of a twat when they have a few, what ruined rag week for every student is the twats that get blocked, throw their glasses away when they finish their fosters and run into the toilet roaring "that N17" pi***ng everywhere and finishing off with tearing the wallpaper off the walls. Im glad the nuig arnt having another rag week, infact im over the moon and i hope they have major exams this time next year so they cant hold an unofficial one.

hacktavist wrote: »
    Ok fair enough I misunderstood, but it saying fair play to nuig for having rag week and saying gmit are just getting pissed isn't really fair when its just both colleges getting pissed.

What did I tell you about speaking in public?

Get the **** back in that box of yours before I give you a mammoth beating.

Making me look bad with your nonsensical drivel.

• Advertisement

Fracture wrote: »
    what about the people who attend college and are not idiots and who dont have a wealthy background to support them in college?

In short, life is a bitch. We can't all get everything.
    Fracture wrote: »
    tbh I find that most of the people who are "school smart" generally dont have a ounce of common sence.

School smart and college smart are two very different things it should also be noted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement