Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Ive seen the same and worse during raceweek.

+1 i think race week is worse

not just because i'm a student but if been workin 2 years for both race and rag weeks. i sapose maybe its because i can relate to the students, but i can relate to the people enjoyin themselves (within reason) on race week.

people during race week are expected to be more sophisticated, yet the amount of extra service that are pulled in for race week are immense, maybe thats why the place looks/seems worse during rag week?

plus the council are more concerened toursits will see the state of the place during the summer than durin february when there are not many here?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Ive seen the same and worse during raceweek.

Have you seen someone going into someone else's house and taking a s*** on their couch, make a mess of the place and rob them? Maybe much the same does go on i'm not sure only going by what I have seen personally and from working both for 9 years once this one is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

This thread has inspired me to have a rant on the GMITSU forums,
    I really hate RAG week, although it seems the college have wised up a bit, for some odd reason we have tests and assaignments to hand up next week

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    people during race week are expected to be more sophisticated, yet the amount of extra service that are pulled in for race week are immense, maybe thats why the place looks/seems worse during rag week?

Race week also brings in 3 to 4 times as many people into Galway with less hassle. We have the same amount of people on for both weeks we could even take some people off for the race's but better err on the safe side. Plus i'm not going to tell the boss would only make it busier for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

dcukhunter wrote: »
    Race week also brings in 3 to 4 times as many people into Galway with less hassle. We have the same amount of people on for both weeks we could even take some people off for the race's but better err on the safe side. Plus i'm not going to tell the boss would only make it busier for me :p
    Indeed, seeing as many of them take the helicopter to the races and avoid the tail-backs of traffic :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

dcukhunter wrote: »
    Have you seen someone going into someone else's house and taking a s*** on their couch, make a mess of the place and rob them? Maybe much the same does go on i'm not sure only going by what I have seen personally and from working both for 9 years once this one is over.

Yes I have.However Im loathe to give examples or cite experience to lend credence to a post.
    Of course what youve experienced is very bad and not to be tolerated.Thats a given.
    Bear in mind though Ive seen a lot worse during raceweek and Ill leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

I never knew Rag Week was associated with charity. I lived by NUIG for 26 years and went to college for 6 of those years and never knew! What a shocker!:eek:

Rag Week has gone downhill and has continued to do so since the late 90's. It's just drinking now and little else. Manys a time I got egged and floured coming home from school in the 80's during Rag Week. It seemed the whole college was buzzing and it did not always involve drink. There were bands playing on top of the concourse, but by the time I reached college it was just drinking in the park or getting smashed in the River Inn druing the day. The mystery tour was a good laugh in first year but it is really only for first years.

When Rag Week conflicts with the Novena then you get trouble.

Apart from that it is a tradition that needs to be upheld but better organisation is required by the college to pump some imagination back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

EJLL wrote: »
    When Rag Week conflicts with the Novena then you get trouble.

Or you get the best damn Novena of all time! Wooooooooooo Novena!! Yeahhhhhhh Go with Christ!

Fracture wrote: »
    Raceweek is a messy one alright, but the crowd around for race week is alot more civil than the crowd around for rag week, the sheer number of people around for race week makes it look that much worse, but when you look at the damage some of the students cause during rag week then id be more inclined to say rag week is worse. Especially with the amount of immature boozed up twats that are around during rag week. I know its a minority of students who act the clown but after working in a bar for 3 or 4 rag weeks i have seen plenty of things that only attention seeking students could do. Im glad im not around for them any more.

Very true...the Monday of last year was pathetic. Alot of students can't handle their booze..who knew?

I'm going to try and avoid town as much as possible during RAG week, by holding alternative events in mine/friends houses. Poker nights, dvd/drinking games.

But I must agree, Race week can be far worse than RAG week.

• Advertisement

What ever about rag week, I cannot believe people don't like race week its the best week of the year and I always take a week off for it. 7 days of racing and lots of nights on the beer with a fantastic atmosphere around the city. I was living in the UK last year and I had my flights booked for race week well in advance I can tell you no way id miss it. Then again I'm into racing which no doubts adds to the appeal.

went out to the races, phone went dead, lost all my money, lost my friends, bus home nd had better craic drinkin wit the people who didn't go.. race week is effort, race weekend would be the job.

Yes I have.However Im loathe to give examples or cite experience to lend credence to a post.
    Of course what youve experienced is very bad and not to be tolerated.Thats a given.
    Bear in mind though Ive seen a lot worse during raceweek and Ill leave it at that.

Fair enough we must have just been lucky for the last number of years with the race's and unlucky with the students. Never had any major problems with the race's but we alway have problems with rag week from the Sunday night till Friday evening.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

As an aside, €17,500 was raised during Rag Week last year in NUIG.

eh was it last year or the year before in nui that they made a loss?!

that was the rumor anyway.. fek all people go to the organised stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Christ all mighty.... Is this the Victor Meldrew thread? This sort of thing has been going on for years.....

Rag week has, and always will be, a glorious excuse for a piss up. I left NUIG in 1999 and thats all it was back then. Its only abit of craic, nobody gets killed, there may be a bit of gawk in the street after it, but its probably the same amount that would be left after a normal saturday night in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Where's the best place to see some freshers tities?

Coyotes having a full monty for males and females on Monday.

Where's the best place to see some freshers tities?

Coyotes having a full monty for males and females on Monday.

Not at your place anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Not at your place anyway

Damn straight. That's why I am asking.

Is masturbating in public still taboo?

Christ all mighty.... Is this the Victor Meldrew thread? This sort of thing has been going on for years.....

Rag week has, and always will be, a glorious excuse for a piss up. I left NUIG in 1999 and thats all it was back then. Its only abit of craic, nobody gets killed, there may be a bit of gawk in the street after it, but its probably the same amount that would be left after a normal saturday night in Galway.

....someone died last year but wasn't 'killed' it was suicide, Its like a Saturday night alright only its during the day when normal people that might avoid Galway City at night not wanting to see the drunkeness are around. I saw some arsehole shout in the face of a child pissed out of his head by the hole in the wall last year and some guy chased a dog that was being walked by an elderly couple in Shop Street (He fell on his arse which was great)...also didn't somebody piss into a letter box? And two arseholes lay on the street infront of the Taxi rank to not let cars move...

Race week is not as bad I think in some ways though I think theres alot of drink driving and more serious offences during that week. That and theres alot of pretentious feckers around..working in the city during it was a blessing and curse at the same time. Depending on the job. The races themselves bore me to tears but thats just me and I wouldn't begrudge others their fun

• Advertisement

Damn straight. That's why I am asking.

Is masturbating in public still taboo?
    Hahaha.oh dear:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

So everyone is in agreement. GPO on monday for the foam party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Caliden wrote: »
    So everyone is in agreement. GPO on monday for the foam party?

No I'm going to go to the one in eyre square fountain. Supposed to be bigger and better than last year. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Wompa1 wrote: »
    ....someone died last year but wasn't 'killed' it was suicide, Its like a Saturday night alright only its during the day when normal people that might avoid Galway City at night not wanting to see the drunkeness are around. I saw some arsehole shout in the face of a child pissed out of his head by the hole in the wall last year and some guy chased a dog that was being walked by an elderly couple in Shop Street (He fell on his arse which was great)...also didn't somebody piss into a letter box? And two arseholes lay on the street infront of the Taxi rank to not let cars move...

Race week is not as bad I think in some ways though I think theres alot of drink driving and more serious offences during that week. That and theres alot of pretentious feckers around..working in the city during it was a blessing and curse at the same time. Depending on the job. The races themselves bore me to tears but thats just me and I wouldn't begrudge others their fun

So you will be working hard and keeping away from town all week I take it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Up until late last year I used to live in Bohermore. There were three times of the year I used to dread.

Rally Time - Boy Racers revving and doing donuts down in Tesco
    Race Week - Drunken fools shagging outside our bedroom window (and more worryingly outside someone's front door below us) - We sorted them with a douse of water. Sleeping drunken idiot in the hallway when I got up for work, luckily himself was still at home to help me oust him
    Rag Week - Even though our apartment block was supposed to be "workers only" there were always rakes of student parties on during rag week. Loud music I could live with once in a while but the tits standing under the bedroom window smoking and all their smoke getting in through the vent. And the idiotic "intellectual" conversations. Ugh.

I never took part in the drinky-drinky part of Rag Week when I was in college. We did a few fund-raising events though, which were good fun.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Up until late last year I used to live in Bohermore. There were three times of the year I used to dread.

Rally Time - Boy Racers revving and doing donuts down in Tesco
    Race Week - Drunken fools shagging outside our bedroom window (and more worryingly outside someone's front door below us) - We sorted them with a douse of water. Sleeping drunken idiot in the hallway when I got up for work, luckily himself was still at home to help me oust him
    Rag Week - Even though our apartment block was supposed to be "workers only" there were always rakes of student parties on during rag week. Loud music I could live with once in a while but the tits standing under the bedroom window smoking and all their smoke getting in through the vent. And the idiotic "intellectual" conversations. Ugh.

I never took part in the drinky-drinky part of Rag Week when I was in college. We did a few fund-raising events though, which were good fun.
    Oh I love those 'intellectual' conversations! The regurgitating of what they happen to remember from lectures.Mind you and that said,there s a lot of non students around who like to think they re educating others while are in fact displaying their own ignorance to same.
    I m remembering the case of the two charming people discussing plot-devices in Charlie Bynres.In very loud voices,rest assured.What an enlightening treat I received that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

I'll be in Galway this Saturday and Sunday does anyone have any recommendations of good bars/nightclubs?? Also will there be any RAG events or do they only start on the Monday? Thanks :)

pf85 wrote: »
    I'll be in Galway this Saturday and Sunday does anyone have any recommendations of good bars/nightclubs?? Also will there be any RAG events or do they only start on the Monday? Thanks :)

Depends what sort of thing youre after.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Depends what sort of thing youre after.

Ive never been to Galway before so im looking for good lively spots that are popular with a youngish crowd (18-26).. I dont mind student places. Do any places run promotions of any sort?

• Advertisement

The one place that springs to mind as regards promotions is GPO.I have fond if vague memories of getting a double vodka and redbull for f**k all.However lots of places do promotions like that.The age group of some of the larger pubs really depends on the night.Also a lot of places do cheap pints examples being-Foxes,Fibber MaGees,Roisin Dubh,Cuba,Hole in the Wall
    I want a brew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement