Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    As an aside, €17,500 was raised during Rag Week last year in NUIG.

And one guy died in the canal.

I wonder if his parents think it was worth it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

there may be a bit of gawk in the street after it, but its probably the same amount that would be left after a normal saturday night in Galway.

Ahh, no. The streets are a lot worst, from a lot earlier in day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »

I wonder if his parents think it was worth it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Incredible. I point out that the charity aspect of Rag Week has been resurgent in recent years and you seek to make a political football out of a young man's death and belittle it with emoticons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So you mean he was so disgusted with money being raised for charity that he drowned himself?

Someone needs to educate the world on the dangers of giving to the needy!

Seriously though, do you ever have anything positive to say about anything?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Wow. You bring a guys death up to make a point? It has nothing to do with this topic except for the time of year it happened. You know nothing about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

As an aside, €17,500 was raised during Rag Week last year in NUIG.

I'd say that wouldn't even cover the damage done by drunken fools during the week. Who can I see about claiming back the 80 euros it cost me to get a new car aerial fitted after some little sh*tbags pulled one out of my car, destroying the threading in the mount during the process.

If the SU can't organise a rag week that doesn't turn into a drunken orgy of vandalism and petty theft then they shouldn't be allowed to have one at all.

I'm not against the idea of rag week, or getting drunk, but it's gotten out of hand, and I would say they are very much in the red when it comes to money raised against damages caused.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The NUI, Galway SU tried banning Rag Week a few years back, but found that the pubs and clubs were going to run one anyway.

I'm not sure if it is the case but I do think that any SU sanctioned fundraisers should not involve drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

JustMary, cop on ffs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

People fall into the river or canal at the rate of about one per week.Not all cases of drowning are reported by the papers.By the logic of JustMary the concerned humanitarians of Galway should lobby to ban everything.Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it is the case but I do think that any SU sanctioned fundraisers should not involve drinking.

All SU fundraisers do not involve drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A new low for JustMary - Congrats. I'm glad I don't know you IRL. Mind you, going by your constant sarky/thick/ignorant attitude, i'd say you don't know many people IRL

Sorry to go off topic...
    -Edit- Now that I think of it, you're nothing more than a mild troll. Congrats, you're the first chick ever to make my ignore list. Does anyone wanna join me? ie. add JustMary to their ignore list - she won't be a problem anymore then :D

He didnt fall into the canal.It was the Corrib river.

He didnt fall into the canal.It was the Corrib river.

Don't fuel her fire dude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

You're a fool. Maybe we should raise money to buy a rocket to send you into space so we don't have to listen to you anymore. Anyone with me? Still can't believe you brought that up to prove a point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

In fairness to JustMary

I find I share a lot of her pessimistic attitudes towards this country. I just don't say them (often) because then I'd have the whole lot of ye on my back telling me to feck off home if I hate it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Xiney wrote: »
    In fairness to JustMary

I find I share a lot of her pessimistic attitudes towards this country. I just don't say them (often) because then I'd have the whole lot of ye on my back telling me to feck off home if I hate it so much.

Feck off home if you hate it so much.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let it go now, ok folks?
    Back to young wans with too much drink taken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

04KY wrote: »
    So you will be working hard and keeping away from town all week I take it?

No actually I'll be going out in my boat for the week with my mobile broadband and laptop....

Wompa1 wrote: »
    No actually I'll be going out in my boat for the week with my mobile broadband and laptop....

Stop trying to copy me

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Stop trying to copy me

I was doing it first. Oh how I had would giggle as Papa brought me to the boat in his turbo charged brand new BMW and we'd go sailing for hours. Sometimes I'd close my eyes and pretend I was flying through the air...it was oh so magical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Personally I think Race Week has more potential for muppetry because alot of people are from out of town and some of the racegoers have the attitude of "well im not from here so i dont give a f**k!"

Glad to hear NUIG raised nearly 20 K last year , maybe it would be no harm to publish a page in the advertiser after RAG week with those figures? Thanking your sponsors and naming the charities who benefited.

Might keep some of the moaning mary/joe duffy/ brigade off yer backs!

I was doing it first. Oh how I had would giggle as Papa brought me to the boat in his turbo charged brand new BMW and we'd go sailing for hours. Sometimes I'd close my eyes and pretend I was flying through the air...it was oh so magical

I laughed out loud when reading that.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    I laughed out loud when reading that.

Why are people in Galway so ignorant when it comes to sailing!?!

Why are people in Galway so ignorant when it comes to sailing!?!

No no no.you got me all wrong.I thought the description was very good,thats all.If someone wants to sail or head out fishing and whatnot-more power to them.I wasnt laughing at the hobby itself.
    Live like you wanna live as ol Chuck Berry once said.

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    No no no.you got me all wrong.I thought the description was very good,thats all.If someone wants to sail or head out fishing and whatnot-more power to them.I wasnt laughing at the hobby itself.
    Live like you wanna live as ol Chuck Berry once said.

Chuck Berry was talkin about homosexuality sir...what are you implying.

And relax, I don't go boating. I was just trying to be a big man like John and the your being ignorant thing was a take off of another member on here that went on a rant about how he was tired of people in Galway being so ignorant of Cancer sufferers..I'l let ya off though cus ya didn't know...it was probably a bad reference!

I love lamp

Ha Ha Legend of the dog faced woman

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Incredible. I point out that the charity aspect of Rag Week has been resurgent in recent years and you seek to make a political football out of a young man's death and belittle it with emoticons.

I think it was a pretty sarcastic comment from JustMary but the dogs on the street know that Rag Week has a long long way to go before it can justify it's existence to any one other than pimply students on the tear. I've been to table quizzes that raised more money and nobody smashed the wing mirror off my car while they were on either.

cL0h wrote: »
    I think it was a pretty sarcastic comment from JustMary but the dogs on the street know that Rag Week has a long long way to go before it can justify it's existence to any one other than pimply students on the tear. I've been to table quizzes that raised more money and nobody smashed the wing mirror off my car while they were on either.

Ive seen vandalism on a quiet Tuesday night.One can always blame the event than admit that sometimes its about a minority of gob****es acting up to their name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If something happens during the year...well, it just happens.

But if it happens on Rag week...'Feckin students...rag week...mumble'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement