Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If something happens during the year...well, it just happens.

But if it happens on Rag week...'Feckin students...rag week...mumble'.

Come on?, Rag Week wasn't get that bad a rap until the last 2 years and thats because alot of **** was happeneing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Come on?, Rag Week wasn't get that bad a rap until the last 2 years and thats because alot of **** was happeneing

Fella,ol rag week always got a lot of flak.Ill concede that unsavory things happen but they always will.There was a spate of burglarys during the Novena.Perhaps we should close the churches and ban religion.Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

Official start of RAG week to night....
    Good luck every body, I'll see ye all an the other side God willing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cL0h wrote: »
    I think it was a pretty sarcastic comment from JustMary but the dogs on the street know that Rag Week has a long long way to go before it can justify it's existence to any one other than pimply students on the tear. I've been to table quizzes that raised more money and nobody smashed the wing mirror off my car while they were on either.

Aye.

I make no apologies for my sarcasm. The guy died. Many days later, the gardi announced "the most successful Galway rag week ever" (which makes me pretty sure they didn't know about him as yet). The following day, his disappearance became news. The whole thing reflects badly on all concerned, and on the "event" that was taking everyone's attention at the time.

Employers in this country know not to hold work drinks on company property (not even a quiet beer on Friday afternoons), because people just cannot handle drink. Only a minority of people, but still enough to ensure that precautions are taken.

Colleges and their student associations, on the other hand, collaborate with pubs and clubs in holding a week to glorify excessive drunkenness, using charity fund-raising to try and make it seem respectable. This is despite the fact that that majority of students are in an age-group that's susceptible to self-harm deaths, and the known strong association between excessive alcohol consumption and such deaths. Fair play to those individual lecturers who do what they can by scheduling compulsory activities during the time.

Pure madness, IMHO.

JustMary wrote: »
    Aye.

I make no apologies for my sarcasm. The guy died. Many days later, the gardi announced "the most successful Galway rag week ever" (which makes me pretty sure they didn't know about him as yet). The following day, his disappearance became news. The whole thing reflects badly on all concerned, and on the "event" that was taking everyone's attention at the time.

Employers in this country know not to hold work drinks on company property (not even a quiet beer on Friday afternoons), because people just cannot handle drink. Only a minority of people, but still enough to ensure that precautions are taken.

Colleges and their student associations, on the other hand, collaborate with pubs and clubs in holding a week to glorify excessive drunkenness, using charity fund-raising to try and make it seem respectable. This is despite the fact that that majority of students are in an age-group that's susceptible to self-harm deaths, and the known strong association between excessive alcohol consumption and such deaths. Fair play to those individual lecturers who do what they can by scheduling compulsory activities during the time.

Pure madness, IMHO.

Same point as ever and it doesnt hold any adherence to logic or sense.Also please stop using the unfortunate death of that man to justify your points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

JustMary wrote: »
    ... Colleges and their student associations, on the other hand, collaborate with pubs and clubs in holding a week to glorify excessive drunkenness, using charity fund-raising to try and make it seem respectable. ...
    I don't accept that. NUIG, at least, has on-campus events for raising money. The pubs and clubs just so happen to have other events organised for the week to draw in more customers. It's not as if any proceeds from the pubs/clubs are going into the charity kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Fella,ol rag week always got a lot of flak.Ill concede that unsavory things happen but they always will.There was a spate of burglarys during the Novena.Perhaps we should close the churches and ban religion.Better safe than sorry.

I like your thinking...and by the by I will actually be going out for Rag Week!! Yes I am a hypocrite :D I was out last year too but I can say that it has been worse the last 2 years than usual...I'll report my findings this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

Hi Guys,
    Just a few things I want to fill ye in on... I am involved in the organisation of the GMIT RAG Week. Our soul charity this year is for console.
    The official GMIT night clubs which are Karma and Club K do contribute towards our charity.
    If anybody was in Karma on Sunday night every cent of your €6 admission went to charity and they are also giving us 400 tickets for wed night. Club K are giving us the admission for Thurs night which is very generous as it is going to be probably the busisest night of the year.
    In the Students' Union we do look at RAG Week as a charity event and we feel the more we organise the more money we can raise.

Besides Club K and Karma anybody claiming to hold an official RAG Week event is false and just think about the profits they can make out of the week rather than the charity aspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

RAG week is a charity event? That is the first I've heard of that, seriously, and Ive been in college twice and visited friends in other colleges during their RAG weeks and I've never known it was supposed to be for charity lol. Just admit it, RAG week is just an excuse for a week long piss up. The amount of money spent on alcohol over the course of the week Id imagine is at least 20 times what goes to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JStand

Wasnt it only a couple of weeks ago that students were protesting about fees but now they seem to have the money to pay for a weeks drinking:confused:

• Advertisement

Pub07 wrote: »
    RAG week is a charity event? That is the first I've heard of that, seriously, and Ive been in college twice and visited friends in other colleges during their RAG weeks and I've never known it was supposed to be for charity lol. Just admit it, RAG week is just an excuse for a week long piss up. The amount of money spent on alcohol over the course of the week Id imagine is at least 20 times what goes to charity.
    Raise A Grand Week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Raise A Grand!?

I was always told it was Raise And GIVE

I think a grand is far too easily achived between EITHER college, if the money spent on booze is anything to go by.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Raise A Grand!?

I was always told it was Raise And GIVE

I think a grand is far too easily achived between EITHER college, if the money spent on booze is anything to go by.....
    It was Raise A Grand. A grand is pittance for charity considering the student population so that's why Raising And Giving came out of, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 suezi

I went to GMIT and used to Love rag week. I logged onto their student web site to see what kind of line up was there and was well impressed. They have a bungee jump, celebrity blind dating with Danielle Loyd (ur one from Celebrity Big Bro), The blizzards and yet again, the saw doctors, Guru Josh Project.
    I wish i was a first year again so it would be acceptable to go to the foam parties and stuff. I met my boyfriend at a gpo foam party and four years later, its still going strong.:) But do many people still do rag week after first year??

yea we did it all 3 years nd my friends who are doin 4 year courses nd masters are drinking right now while i work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Had to go into the bank there and christ town is mental! Only bad thing is that people are holding up traffic a bit because of crossing the road etc. nothing to get too excited about

I wish I was back in 1st year again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

I don't understand some peoples need to shove the fact that they are drinking / drunk in everybody’s face.

Groups of guys walking down the street all drinking cans, strutting a hardy man walk, gawking into all the cars that are passing by hoping for a reaction, hoping the people in the cars think,

"Jasus, these MAD WHORES are drinking in the middle of the day, I wish I was as MAD as these crazy fellows."

Also people who drink on balconies, people who walk around shouting their heads off while drunk, people who seem to find the mere fact that they are drunk something hilarious.

Yes, well done, you managed to get drunk. I don't hold the opinion that you’re a MAD MENTAL WHORE with loads of friends when you so obviously trust the fact that you are drunk in my face, I honestly couldn't give a ****.

I personally drink, alone, to get drunk, to numb the pure monotony that is my life lol.

I don't understand some peoples need to shove the fact that they are drinking / drunk in everybody s face.

Groups of guys walking down the street all drinking cans, strutting a hardy man walk, gawking into all the cars that are passing by hoping for a reaction, hoping the people in the cars think,

"Jasus, these MAD WHORES are drinking in the middle of the day, I wish I was as MAD as these crazy fellows."

Also people who drink on balconies, people who walk around shouting their heads off while drunk, people who seem to find the mere fact that they are drunk something hilarious.

Yes, well done, you managed to get drunk. I don't hold the opinion that you re a MAD MENTAL WHORE with loads of friends when you so obviously trust the fact that you are drunk in my face, I honestly couldn't give a ****.

I personally drink, alone, to get drunk, to numb the pure monotony that is my life lol.

If you dont care,then why did you post?

Feck it but I hate not being in Galway for rag week.:(

On the subject of when people stop doing rag week. I have friends that are out of college and working for almost two years and they will be out every night this week,including last night as would I if I was around Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

the town sounds pure lunatic right now. lots of screaming, shouting, chanting and half dressed students running about the place. heard there was a foam party in gpo on this afternoon. dont know whether to be jealous or severely irritated by it all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

actually saw a buckfast road trap on the bridge this morning, squad car and three cops on the terryland side of the bridge stopping students coming from dun na coirbe

shud be worth a walk up town later to see the fallout of early drinkin, it'll be as messy as fook. try get a photo over the weeks festivities as the people who will infact pump a **** load of money into pubs, clubs and **** in a tray merchants will make a complete twat of themselves
    its only for a week no harm really

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/rag_2?view=uk

rag
    • noun Brit. 1 a programme of entertainments organized by students to raise money for charity. 2 informal, dated a prank.
    • verb (ragged, ragging) 1 make fun of loudly and boisterously. 2 rebuke severely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

just back from town. dont think i have ever seen so many lads walking around in the middle of february in shorts. I can only imagine they were at the GPO foam party.

Saw a few Guards about too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Plenty of students walking through UCHG grounds tonight singing and screaming.

I don't understand some peoples need to shove the fact that they are drinking / drunk in everybody’s face.

Yes, well done, you managed to get drunk. I don't hold the opinion that you’re a MAD MENTAL WHORE with loads of friends when you so obviously trust the fact that you are drunk in my face, I honestly couldn't give a ****.

that last line saved you from sounding like a miserable feker :rolleyes:

i can't do it either by the way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Didn't mind the costumes, the singin', the belchin' and the dancing today at all (belches were directed elsewhere).
    But when it got to them kicking dogs, buskers, shop windows, and the cab I was in, the novelty wore off and I was glad I wasn't in town having a 'quiet one' tonight;)

Craic is grand, but no need to make people/animals miserable in the process.
    (in fairness, one lad told the one who booted the dog "ah now" and then he fell over:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Came back in to town via the Dyke Road about 4.30 this afternoon and there was a lad in Hawaiian shorts and t-shirt staggering up the road. Gave me a laugh anyway! Once they raise a load of money for charity I don't give a feck what they get up to, we were all students once upon a time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Had a spin around town to see what was going on. Seems a fair few out, and I'd say the pubs and clubs are packed.

I must be the only student who's not out drinking.

Now now, I have my reasons...I'm a 4th year, I'm socially inept and I have no friends to go out with( or in general :( ) lol.

Ah well, at least I still have my vodka to keep me company, und my guitar. There'll be some tear jerking ballots comming out of me later tonight I'd say.

Anyway...enough of "my depressing life in 5 minutes".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Well galwayguy, given the choice I'd say your tear jerking ballad will be a far superior achievement than the kicking some a**hole gave a dog in town!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

inisboffin wrote: »
    the kicking some a**hole gave a dog in town!:)

please tell me you're joking :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement