Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Would well belive it have seen them at that before. Then again I have also seen non-students do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was walking home through Westside this afternoon and there was a few students heading towards the college with a few cans. Nothing wrong with that. Only one of them decides to sit down in the road at the traffic lights at Dunnes/Aldi. It's fine for people to have their own fun but there is a difference between your own fun and blatant attention seeking. "Look at me it's rag week and I'm 'drunk'; I'm so 'drunk' I'm sitting in the road blocking a load of cars" - :rolleyes:

That's the thing that annoys me about rag week - the amount of sad muppets that go around looking for attention/trying to fit in by acting like a ****wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Xiney wrote: »
    please tell me you're joking :(

Oh I'd love to tell you I was but f*ck no!:mad:
    Luckily the idiot was so drunk it was a half arsed couple of kicks, and his mate made some weak attempt to dissuade them.
    I was passing in a cab, and the dog ran off, otherwise I might have done something unwise.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

inisboffin wrote: »
    Oh I'd love to tell you I was but f*ck no!:mad:
    Luckily the idiot was so drunk it was a half arsed couple of kicks, and his mate made some weak attempt to dissuade them.
    I was passing in a cab, and the dog ran off, otherwise I might have done something unwise.:mad:

fuvking psychopath :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

KevR wrote: »
    Only one of them decides to sit down in the road at the traffic lights at Dunnes/Aldi. It's fine for people to have their own fun but there is a difference between your own fun and blatant attention seeking. "Look at me it's rag week and I'm 'drunk'; I'm so 'drunk' I'm sitting in the road blocking a load of cars" -

Woohoo for the pedestrian's revenge on motorists for parking on footpaths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

i am just finished four years in NUI... I had heard RAG week was for charity but was never, not once, approached o donate money to any charity at all during RAG week ever!!! its good craic because everyone is out and they are usually good nights in town but i do agree with a poster above every other thursday night in town is pretty much the same and maybe even better because there aren't as many ques or throngs of people squeezed into one room its so stuffy your barely able ot breath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MORE Gardaí should have been provided to police the ‘boisterous behaviour’ of third level students in the Eyre Square area yesterday afternoon – the first day of Rag Week – according to city councillors.
    Last night, several councillors at the City Council meeting expressed concerns over the behaviour of the students in the Eyre Square area, especially drinking in public.
    Cllr Daniel Callanan said that after seeing the behaviour of the students shortly before 4pm yesterday, he feared for what they would be like later on in the night.
    Cllr Catherine Connolly said that while students were entitled to enjoy themselves during Rag Week, it would have been helpful if more Gardaí were on the street.

rag_week_ambulance2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

biko wrote: »
    Cllr Daniel Callanan said that after seeing the behaviour of the students shortly before 4pm yesterday, he feared for what they would be like later on in the night.
    Cllr Catherine Connolly said that while students were entitled to enjoy themselves during Rag Week, it would have been helpful if more Gardaí were on the street.

Listening to the radio this morning Cllr Micheal Connolly said he was in Eyre Square last night and all he saw was a thousands of students having the crack.
    This is a man that has to be respected. You have all these politicians calling for RAG Week to be gotten rid of but all their doing is electioneering for the next local elections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

having the craic is one thing but making people going about their daily business feel uncomfortable is not right.nighttime ragweek events are bad enough but they should not be allowed run daytime nightclub parties in the city centre with gangs of drunk students going around.

Both students' unions sent letters out to all night clubs pleading with them to keep opening hours normal and not to run any special promotions for RAG Week.
    The alcaholic events which are held during the day are not official RAG Week events.
    That counsillor did say that most of the students looked well drunk but were not causing any harm to anybody. I think everybody has to agree that any anti social behaviour caused is caused by a minority of students and non students who just use RAG Week as an excuse to act like thugs

• Advertisement

having the craic is one thing but making people going about their daily business feel uncomfortable is not right.nighttime ragweek events are bad enough but they should not be allowed run daytime nightclub parties in the city centre with gangs of drunk students going around.

Of course nightclubs should be open during the day! Fecks sake I hope some of the people in here never have any influence in the real world or we will be living in a worse nanny/politically correct state that we are already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I've been in college six years an never even realised there was a charity aspect to RAG week.

Every year rag week comes round and I feel I should possible be out and "living it up" with the rest of the gob****es but in all honesty going out drinking just isn't me. I've never really enjoyed it at all. My annual RAG week inner struggle actually gets me down at times. I feel I'm missing out on life a bit by not participating. Oh well.

At least there's the opportunity to see attention whores flash their tits and sometimes get completely naked in the various activities specifically designed to produce flesh.

Buy a Van Halen Album

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, nothing compared to what I've seen elsewhere, midly NSFW

Of course nightclubs should be open during the day! Fecks sake I hope some of the people in here never have any influence in the real world or we will be living in a worse nanny/politically correct state that we are already.

But wouldn't that make them 'dayclubs'? Doesn't sound nearly as sexy!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

re: 3
    i didn't know the market was open today dam i love that pea an potato curry:)

biko wrote: »
    Meh, nothing compared to what I've seen elsewhere, midly NSFW

Let's not get like the telly in the States and give the thumbs down to altered states and nudity, but the thumbs up to violence.
    I see nothing really wrong in these pics:p (can't open pic 2 tho).

Naked drunk people = fine
    Nasty drunk people kicking cabs and dogs = boring as sh*te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

axiom32 wrote: »
    re: 3
    i didn't know the market was open today dam i love that pea an potato curry:)

pea and potato curry ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness I saw a lot of guards around yesterday - on one street alone there were 4 of them flat out dealing with rowdy crowds, and I saw more on another further down. Went out again today, and there were 3 patrolling the square emptying drinks onto the ground. To be honest, all it would take it for a shard of glass to hit the pavement and you'd have some councilor idiotically calling for 'more gardai to deal with the problem'. :rolleyes:

All in all I saw a good Garda presence today and yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

inisboffin wrote: »
    Naked drunk people = fine
    Nasty drunk people kicking cabs and dogs = boring as sh*te
    Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I saw some dude pissing into the canal at 13.30 on monday afternoon.....

It seems that whatever you do is acceptable as long as you can jusitfy with "its rag week....I was drunk".

I don't have any problem with the basic concept of rag week, although some basic restraints during the middle of the day should be an obvious consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

sarumite wrote: »
    I saw some dude pissing into the canal at 13.30 on monday afternoon.....

It seems that whatever you do is acceptable as long as you can jusitfy with "its rag week....I was drunk".

I don't have any problem with the basic concept of rag week, although some basic restraints during the middle of the day should be an obvious consideration.

I've seen worse things going in and coming out of the Canal, a bit of the oul pee pee would be the least of my worries tbh.

Infact, i'd prefer to see someone taking a leak into the canal rather than on the footpath/against a wall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I've seen worse things going in and coming out of the Canal, a bit of the oul pee pee would be the least of my worries tbh.

Infact, i'd prefer to see someone taking a leak into the canal rather than on the footpath/against a wall

I am sure while he was standing on the bridge urinating, some of it probably hit the pavement and the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Anybody else hear about the poor young lad that was killed by a truck this morning on the headford road? Just outside the entrance to Dun Na Coiribe/Cuuirt Na Coiribe....
    AFAIK i think he was a student living in the estate...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I am sure while he was standing on the bridge urinating, some of it probably hit the pavement and the wall.

It's Galway, it rains lots, it'll wash off

Anybody else hear about the poor young lad that was killed by a truck this morning on the headford road? Just outside the entrance to Dun Na Coiribe/Cuuirt Na Coiribe....

Yeah a fella I know passed the scene on his way to work.Grim.

Wow.

Does anyone realise this stuff also happens on a normal Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Does anyone realise this stuff also happens on a normal Saturday night?

Not ay 1:30 during the day though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Trib was saying he was late 20s early 30s though. If it was a case of drunkenness, I really feel sorry for the truck driver as well. :(

• Advertisement

I think it has to be said the GMIT crowd stay in their own side of Galway out in Renmore and the NUIG students are the ones walking over the bridge drinking pissing wherever they feel like it. I know its because they are closer to City Centre and all but their whole attitude towards RAG week is just disgusting...

Thats just my opinion!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement