Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

I did see a really drunk student as I was driving home after work yday evening on Eyre Square. He was so hammered and had dropped his phone and the battery had popped out. So down he went, nearly bent over double, for 5 mins trying to pick it up and came up with one part. Then had to go back down for the other part - I was sure he was going to face plant the pavement - but then the traffic started moving so I had to stop watching!

Oh to be young again!!!

sarumite wrote: »
    I am sure while he was standing on the bridge urinating, some of it probably hit the pavement and the wall.

Im sure there are 100 different dogs p***ing against walls etc through out Galway as we speak and we are not all dieing of some crazy disease! Get over it, sure was/isnt all sewage pumped into the sea anyway.

If I saw some lad p***ing into the canal. Id laugh and think sure I probably did something similar myself when I was locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Anybody else hear about the poor young lad that was killed by a truck this morning on the headford road? Just outside the entrance to Dun Na Coiribe/Cuuirt Na Coiribe....
    AFAIK i think he was a student living in the estate...

According to this he's still critical and was transferred to Beaumont in Dublin. Can't find anything and haven't heard anything to suggest he has passed away.

Nothing on rte.ie or breakingnews.ie

late 20's to early 30's aswell.. hardly the typical rag week student.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

pebblesman wrote: »
    I think it has to be said the GMIT crowd stay in their own side of Galway out in Renmore and the NUIG students are the ones walking over the bridge drinking pissing wherever they feel like it. I know its because they are closer to City Centre and all but their whole attitude towards RAG week is just disgusting...

Thats just my opinion!!!!
    This is quite true. Students from GMIT prefer to riot on Glasan before heading to one of Renmore or Ballybane's many pubs and nightclubs. I've heard there was a foam party in the Merlin.
    late 20's to early 30's aswell.. hardly the typical rag week student.
    You're missing the point here. Anything bad or unsavoury that occurs in this week or in the surrounding fortnight may be automatically ascribed to Rag Week.

If the oil tanks aren't moved from the Docks, it is most certainly Rag Week to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Robbo wrote: »
    This is quite true. Students from GMIT prefer to riot on Glasan before heading to one of Renmore or Ballybane's many pubs and nightclubs. I've heard there was a foam party in the Merlin.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭alexiadexia

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Had to go into the bank there and christ town is mental! Only bad thing is that people are holding up traffic a bit because of crossing the road etc. nothing to get too excited about

I wish I was back in 1st year again :(

Me too!! Aw the good old days. I don't remember much bother from students then though. (NUIG 2000 - 2003) Bit of craic Rag week in the GPO most days & where Kennedy's is now, whatever that was called before, then to the River Inn & home to change & back into town.. Granted I'd probably wanna kill half of the young wans now but I'm still jealous....

Didn't see too much fundraising then either..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

It's all over, just announced on GBFM !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Im sure there are 100 different dogs p***ing against walls etc through out Galway as we speak and we are not all dieing of some crazy disease! Get over it, sure was/isnt all sewage pumped into the sea anyway.

If I saw some lad p***ing into the canal. Id laugh and think sure I probably did something similar myself when I was locked!

So you think its all good if at 13.30 during the middle of the day everyone just started to piss/vomit/**** anywhere they feel like......perhaps we should start doing it in the playground by the canal....isnt that what dogs do?

Drunken antics are one things....though there is a time and a place....thats all i am saying.

It's all over, just announced on GBFM !!

what?

• Advertisement

Yip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yip

Explain.
    Who said what, where, about rag week.

just announced on GBFM

Go to GBFM website and stream Finnegans show, some dude from one of the colleges (NUIG I think) was on reading a statement saying that as of now Rag Week is cancelled. Will it make a difference ? Probably not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Not a hope.

What spurred this on this morning I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ugh. Streaming gbfm? I have better uses for my bandwidth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭mercuroman

Xiney wrote: »
    Ugh. Streaming gbfm? I have better uses for my bandwidth!!

Look at me! I'm too good for gbfm:D

is there any truth in it being cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nothing yet on boards.sin.ie or maybe I missed it

not that it'd matter.. everyone has their drink bought.

was there anythin big that happened that would cause it to be cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

dcukhunter wrote: »
    Not ay 1:30 during the day though.

Well yes it does.Happens on a Tuesday too.I wonder what group one can blame then.Or maybe its just down to a minority of troublemakers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Wasnt it only a couple of weeks ago that students were protesting about fees but now they seem to have the money to pay for a weeks drinking
    That is the most truest thing I have read in this whole thread. I agree completely.

I blew all my money Monday and Yesterday. So no more drinking for me this week. Spent my last few pence on a greasy meal in Supermacs and the irresistable 'Topless Oscars' issue of Zoo. Neither were that rewarding really...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

The President of NUIG came out and said RAG week is no longer after this week because of all the negative publicity it got. Again it was all from politicians wanting to look good before the local elections. Cllr Micheal Crowe...Do not vote for this man:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Robbo wrote: »
    If the oil tanks aren't moved from the Docks, it is most certainly Rag Week to blame.

Suppose since the students never bothered to move them oil tanks the student unions had to choice but to call off rag week. God, could they not have taken 25 mins off their drinking time to roll up their sleeves and do a bit of work. Typical students!!

I blame the parents....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

pebblesman wrote: »
    The President of NUIG came out and said RAG week is no longer after this week because of all the negative publicity it got. Again it was all from politicians wanting to look good before the local elections. Cllr Micheal Crowe...Do not vote for this man:mad:

Another self-serving publicity-seeking wannabe FF hack, I'm sincerely hoping he calls to my house before the elections to look for a vote. Its not a vote I'll be giving him... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

CROWE = complete ridiculous outbursts without explanation

IS THIS FOR REAL ...that asshole looking for votes again seriously better not darken my door , why isn't he out lookin to name the developers who owe the city 3million or more ....that ****in bollocks was well happy to sell BUCKFAST to the students on rag week when he owned the shop in Glen Dara ...i go as far as saying i detest that it

sarumite wrote: »
    So you think its all good if at 13.30 during the middle of the day everyone just started to piss/vomit/**** anywhere they feel like......perhaps we should start doing it in the playground by the canal....isnt that what dogs do?

Drunken antics are one things....though there is a time and a place....thats all i am saying.

Ok. My opinion is that yes bothering other people/animals directly, doing damage etc is not ok but overall it is very rare rag week. A bit of harmless shouting and general eejiting, including an odd person having a slash or even if someone vomits its not the end of the world. There is much worse things going on throughout the city week in week out.

Its total wankology imo calling off rag week etc. Its like a lot of other things nowadays people need to know when to ignore/tell people to f**k off. If I was the student union why on earth would I care what was being said by politicians/general public etc who cares what they think, ignore them, what are they going to do. Id make the week twice as mad to spite them.

I hope if it is canceled the pubs take it over next year and make it into a massive pub organized drink promo week they wont listen to politicians anyway and thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

I hope if it is canceled the pubs take it over next year and make it into a massive pub organized drink promo week they wont listen to politicians anyway and thats for sure.

This is what exactly will happen.
    Look Rag week can be cancelled officially, and maybe the College bar wont run something but if people think for one second that it is unofficially cancelled then they are away with the birds. I've worked RAG week in a pub, i see the money they take in and there is no way the pubs will let it end. So i wouldnt worry that RAG week being officially cancelled. All it would mean is that there would be no one going round with buckets. Thats it.....

it's officially cancelled but that means fek all. heard it on the radio a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was there anything in particular that triggered the decision or does Cllr. listen-to-me Crowe have that much influence?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement