Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

Well when he rants on for 3hours about it ya... Just to let ye know. Galway bay fm, and rte news wanted a response from the president of GMIT and this is what was released:

GMIT students' attendance at lectures this week has been very good. We have had no formal complaints to the college about GMIT students behaviour in the city/ or at GMIT rag week events. The college authorities will review the situation but as of now GMIT Rag Week is proceeding.

I just graduated from NUI last year and admit that we're the idiots on rag week.. Why did they group the two rag weeks together this year after not doin it for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Why did they group the two rag weeks together this year after not doin it for years?
    I think they grouped them together last year but I'm not 100% sure on that.

PS - I'm not sure of the reasoning behind grouping them together either.

fairly sure they were seperate last year.. all a bit hazy lookin back anyway.

i think they should just collect 5 euro of students at the start of the week around college, 15 thousand students by 5 euro would make all the mayhem justified.

i know i'd have given a fiver each year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pebblesman

It was a joint RAG Week last year for the first time in 6 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

http://www.galwaynews.ie/6648-nui-galway-end-tradition-rag-week

With the whole GMIT, you cant tell which college the students in town go to, and hell some arent even in college they just take part in the drinking.

Over the last few years RAG week have become worse and worse in the city, most students dont even know that RAG week is about charity. They just think its a massive piss-up week, were going to college is the last thing on their list.

I think this can be due to many things, but mostly information from the student union. They needed to infrom more students about charity events happening around the college. Lecturers also have to be less lenient on people attending lectures.

I have went into college for all my lectures, and not once have i noticed any charity collection or events, yes i read the emails by the student union abut the fire walk, and the shave off, ect ect. But that can only recieve so much attention. more things have to be done for RAG week.

I dont know were im going with this rant, but students need to know that RAG week isnt about the drink, yes you can enjoy yourself during the week, but it shouldnt be crazy. I know someone working in eglinton street and she said she was actualy afraid to go to work cause of the students. incase they went into were she worked.

There are a lot of people to blame over this years RAG week fiasco(sp?) But cancelling it altogether i dont think is a valid option, cause what will happen now, is that bars and nightclubs willorginise a unoffical rag week, were all money will go straight to them, and no proper charity ran event will be held. Last year did'nt NUIG raise €17,500 that means next year €17,500 less will be raised for charitys. but yet the same amount of rowdiness will still happen around galway.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

well rag week has been run together for the last year or two

as previously they were run one week after the other and as bad as the "mayhem" is imagine it spread over two weeks as really if one college is having a rag week it wont exactly stop students from the other going if they think its G.M.I.T's or vice-versa.

I agree with the more focus on the charity events. the thing is it will take new and intelligent thinking and planning that i don't want to do right now.

that's my bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

anyone listening to the happy hour on flirt fm today? they played a rag week themed tune,does anyone know the track?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

galwayfeen wrote: »
    anyone listening to the happy hour on flirt fm today? they played a rag week themed tune,does anyone know the track?

It wouldn't happen to be the same one they were playing on the six-one news was it? "I really really really gotta stop drinkin'" etc etc. If so, the you can find it here http://www.myspace.com/downforwhatevermusic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Great thread ! Il have to bookmark this one now and bring it up every year when people sprout sh1te about how bad race week is. The only publicity the races gets on the 9 o clock news is the winners and the women on ladies day not the amount of **** on the streets. Enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

it's officially cancelled but that means fek all. heard it on the radio a while ago.

From the sounds of the party going on over in the College Bar this evening it certainly wasn't cancelled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

Anyone else think the heavy handed response to RAG week might have something to do with Bertie Ahern being booed in NUIG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

fcussen wrote: »
    Anyone else think the heavy handed response to RAG week might have something to do with Bertie Ahern being booed in NUIG?

I don't think RAG week being 'cancelled' (:rolleyes:) has anything to do with the Bertie incident.

PS - As far as I know, Bertie wasn't booed as such. Students made a blockade of some sort and he wasn't able to make his speech/accept his award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭fcussen

conspiracy theory #2:

the gardai/ff think rag week might escalate into something else in the current climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

friendface wrote: »
    It wouldn't happen to be the same one they were playing on the six-one news was it? "I really really really gotta stop drinkin'" etc etc. If so, the you can find it here http://www.myspace.com/downforwhatevermusic

YES! thank you friendface(brilliant name),i hope these tunes do well.
    very catchy indeed,bottle a b yeeeeoooooooooo.youtube already has some
    quality vids up....especially the bridge jump,risky business that side they did,fair play. not exactly jumping off but falling off seals the deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

fcussen wrote: »
    That really doesn't come into it. That mess with the FEE tards is largely forgotten about.

NUIG management have had issues with what Rag Week has become for years. The litany of complaints, arrests, and from what I hear serious criminal damage has largely left them with no choice. If they were sufficiently organised they could force it out over a few years but they're not so it'll just be an unofficial mess rather than one on the college calendar.

I've got nothing against Rag Week but given how few students actually realise or care that it's a charity event, good riddance...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I hope if it is canceled the pubs take it over next year and make it into a massive pub organized drink promo week they wont listen to politicians anyway and thats for sure.

If the colleges put compulsory assessment items on the agenda for the weeks in February, and the guards put a bit of effort into age-checks in the pubs, I think the event will peter out pretty quickly.

(Nothing like a few uniforms to empty out a pub ...)

The guards might also like to do a last-place-you-were-drinking survey on all the folks they arrest or caution, and lean on landlords who feature in the results.

JustMary wrote: »
    If the colleges put compulsory assessment items on the agenda for the weeks in February, and the guards put a bit of effort into age-checks in the pubs, I think the event will peter out pretty quickly.

The guards might also like to do a last-place-you-were-drinking survey on all the folks they arrest or caution, and lean on landlords who feature in the results.

Welcome to nanny state Ireland! :rolleyes:

Rag weeks in all the other colleges around the country are just the same as Galway yet they are not banned. The big bandwagon brigade in Galway is one of the few things I dislike about the place.

I still dont see why the SU have canceled it as I said in my earlier post, politicians and people who like to complain could sprout rubbish all they wanted but if I were in charge it would be ignored, they cannot actually do anything excepy complain so why do the SU care so much.

Mary.Stop being bitter just because you couldn't get into college.

Also.I was walking by Terryland and I seen some old white haired guy throwing empty bottles of Buckfast at people walking by on the street for making noise.Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

GMIT students' attendance at lectures this week has been very good
    First of all thats utter bollocks, the fecking college was empty throughout the week and I even had most of my classes cancelled because of poor attendance. Anyway moving on.
    I'm honest to god not being smart here, and I am a student myself but I need to ask everyone what is the big deal with rag week honestly? In all fairness most of the rag week crowd go out every single week anyway and its not as if classes are cancelled as an excuse to go out on the piss 24/7. I just don't really see the point as to why this week is so much more precious that any other time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Its total wankology imo calling off rag week etc. Its like a lot of other things nowadays people need to know when to ignore/tell people to f**k off. If I was the student union why on earth would I care what was being said by politicians/general public etc who cares what they think, ignore them, what are they going to do. Id make the week twice as mad to spite them.

Yeah man F*ck the system! So you're going to pay your own fees now are you?
    And if any of the kids from the primary school on Newcastle Road step in any of the glass that is all along that road from Cookes Corner to the College they should tell it to F*ck off right. Or just ignore it perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

was lisiting to Galway bay FM news on the way home from work yesterday evening. One stupid cork bint said that all the drinking was been done in the pubs and clubs. While listing to this,I was driving up the Quincentennial Bridge and I passed 5 woman and 2 fellas (not all together) with either a can or bottle of alcohol in their hand. Also, on tuesday evening some dude was sitting on the kerb on the bridge, legs on the road....cars beebing at him to get off but he just sat there. Fcuking eejit.

Having been to many rag weeks in many colleges around the country, Galway is the only one where Iv'e felt like smacking someone (male and female). It seems like if your a female that goes to college in NUIG, then you must not approach her if you
    a. do not have big man muscles
    b. perfectly straight gleaming teeth
    c. are wealthy
    d. have a degree in bull****.
    I know this abit of a blanket statement, but id know plenty that would back me up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

jesus! do you not think the guards have enough to be doing than filling out surveys! and more paperwork!

how about you go out and do a survey during RAG week if your that bothered!

edit: oh and WHAT have landlords got to do with it????

cL0h wrote: »
    Yeah man F*ck the system! So you're going to pay your own fees now are you?
    And if any of the kids from the primary school on Newcastle Road step in any of the glass that is all along that road from Cookes Corner to the College they should tell it to F*ck off right. Or just ignore it perhaps?

Those children have no manners.Some of them started throwing rocks on us last summer as we sitting beside the canal.Maybe the parents should teach their children manners?

LowOdour wrote: »
    Having been to many rag weeks in many colleges around the country, Galway is the only one where Iv'e felt like smacking someone (male and female). It seems like if your a female that goes to college in NUIG, then you must not approach her if you
    a. do not have big man muscles
    b. perfectly straight gleaming teeth
    c. are wealthy
    d. have a degree in bull****.
    I know this abit of a blanket statement, but id know plenty that would back me up on this.

Rejection hurts.Doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's being discussed on liveline now. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll support your demand for getting Rag week back when I no longer have to spend 7 days wading through a sea of smashed bottles around my house, avoiding random puddles of vomit around the campus, and can find a toilet in the college not engaged because some jackass thinks it's the perfect place to drink his cheap sh*tty cider. And this is just before noon. "Minority" is not the word I would use.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

edit: oh and WHAT have landlords got to do with it????

*cough*
    Pub Landlords.
    *cough*

I think JustMary has a point (slightly shocked with myself ;) )

There must be numerous pubs that keep serving people after they're way too drunk to stand. They need to take some of the responsibility.

I don't think checking ages is going to make a difference though, pretty much all the muppets are of age.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Those children have no manners.Some of them started throwing rocks on us last summer as we sitting beside the canal.Maybe the parents should teach their children manners?

Eh, you do see the irony in this, right?

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Eh, you do see the irony in this, right?

I have manners, the only time that I didn't have manners was when I drank too much during race week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement