Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

sorry i would refer to them as publicans, and yes they hold some responsibility but then no one is forcing you to go out either!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Its pretty feckin pathetic so far anyway!!!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Its pretty feckin pathetic so far anyway!!!

The only good day was Monday in the college bar.

cL0h wrote: »
    Yeah man F*ck the system! So you're going to pay your own fees now are you?
    And if any of the kids from the primary school on Newcastle Road step in any of the glass that is all along that road from Cookes Corner to the College they should tell it to F*ck off right. Or just ignore it perhaps?

I am not saying f**k the system. What I'm saying people are bowing to complaints far too much nowadays. Look I will admit there is some unacceptable stuff that goes on rag week but overall people are just drunk and having fun.( I am only in Galway at weekends at the moment so cannot comment on rag week this year but Im sure its no different)

Yes I had my fees paid, well I had to pay 1000euro every year to the university so it wasnt free. I always enjoyed rag week and we used to get locked but I never missed my labs(I missed all lectures obviously) I graduated and am doing a PhD now so missing a few lectures rag week did me no harm.

Do you really think canceling rag week will have any effect whatsoever on the reintroduction of fees?

Unless children walk to school in their bare feet and are blind I dont see why thats an issue, I suppose rag week is the only time of the year there is glass on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

No Recession among students or is it all Daddy and Mammy's money ye are Pis*ing into the river and vomiting on the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Do you really think canceling rag week will have any effect whatsoever on the reintroduction of fees?
    I mentioned no relationship between rag week and fees reintroduction. Look you obviously didn't get my point that though you say that you don't care what "people" think you still expect them to pay student fees. The SU who you say shouldn't care what Jim Browne says are completely funded by the university. That is to say they are funded by the people who disagree with the students behaviour. So they have every right to complain.
    Unless children walk to school in their bare feet and are blind I dont see why thats an issue, I suppose rag week is the only time of the year there is glass on the street.

I've NEVER seen it outside the gates of a primary school before. Despite your beliefs broken glass on the street is a danger and does merit complaints and action.

What are you on about. Did you even read my post.

When you said "are you going to pay your own fees" I thought your point was
    that the SU ignoring political pressure could lead to the introduction of fees. Sorry if I took it up wrong.

I've NEVER seen it outside the gates of a primary school before. Despite your beliefs broken glass on the street is a danger and does merit complaints and action.

Its not ideal I will admit that but I think most people could overlook it an odd time without getting too worked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

woah harsh about the "official" cancellation of rag week, as others have said though, that's hardly gonna stop people!
    Has Galway gone so much worse over the last few yrs? I remember going out during rag week 4/5 years ago, craic was 90, and everyone was in good humour and drunk in a good way - I never saw any violence...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have manners, the only time that I didn't have manners was when I drank too much during race week.

I wasn't having a pop at your manners!

You were defending a small minority of people having no manners and leaving broken glass outside of a primary school by saying that a small minority of the kids in that have no manners, therefore it's OK.

Seriously, I thought you were being ironic. Well I moreso hoped you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Having been to many rag weeks in many colleges around the country, Galway is the only one where Iv'e felt like smacking someone (male and female). It seems like if your a female that goes to college in NUIG, then you must not approach her if you
    a. do not have big man muscles
    b. perfectly straight gleaming teeth
    c. are wealthy
    d. have a degree in bull****.
    I know this abit of a blanket statement, but id know plenty that would back me up on this.
    Rejection hurts.Doesn't it?
    Who said anything about rejection? You must assume that I was trying to chat up these 'lovely' lasses. Shame on me for not doing so and allowing them to make me feel like a prick. Shame on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm a few years out of college at this stage but I loved rag week when I was in NUIG. Spend a few days on the tear before settling down to start studying for the exams. Great days. However I cannot remember it being so bad for seeing students absolutely paralytic drunk around town at one or two in afternoon.

We might have gone for a few pints during the day in the college bar or bushing with a few cans if the weather was nice but we never got really drunk until well into the evening or night. Nowadays the amount of students you see absolutely bollocksed early in the day is unreal. Some of them must literally be pouring Buckie on their cornflakes in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Some of them must literally be pouring Buckie on their cornflakes in the morning.

it's been done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jurphy1202

ethernet wrote: »
    It was Raise A Grand. A grand is pittance for charity considering the student population so that's why Raising And Giving came out of, as far as I know.

Actually either could be used since RAG week is in fact a backronym.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I don't think checking ages is going to make a difference though, pretty much all the muppets are of age.

The age-check in itself does nothing.

Having uniformed guards in the pub tends to make people leave though (everyone's guilty about something!) The publicans don't like it when their customers leave, so they'll be less likely to target the student crowd.

I suppose rag week is the only time of the year there is glass on the street.

It's far worse during rag week.

Race week used to be bad, so I'm told, and that's why the publican's serve anything that's going out of the door in plastic that week, and pay for security staff around the zone in Shop/High/Mainguard Streets.

JustMary wrote: »
    The age-check in itself does nothing.

Having uniformed guards in the pub tends to make people leave though (everyone's guilty about something!) The publicans don't like it when their customers leave, so they'll be less likely to target the student crowd.

Well as long as the guards are wearing their uniform,they won't hve to ask people in the pub if they know who they are;)

JustMary wrote: »
    It's far worse during rag week.

Race week used to be bad, so I'm told, and that's why the publican's serve anything that's going out of the door in plastic that week, and pay for security staff around the zone in Shop/High/Mainguard Streets.

I agree with you that glass should not be allowed outside the nightclub/bar.I would hazard a guess that most of the arrests occur at 3am outside supermacs when people are waiting for taxis etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

I would hazard a guess that most of the arrests occur at 3am outside supermacs when people are waiting for taxis etc.

i dunno, i seen atleast 6 arrests on moneday between 3-5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I was talking to someone today who'd have a decent idea what went on. He said that the Gardaí had already had to get involved by 12:30 on Monday afternoon.

wouldnt be surprised.. walking to lectures at 11 on monday, looking over at the bridge with 100+ student cheering and drinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Seen an arrest outside the Charcoal Grill on Wednesday night, a lad got refused and started kicking up a fuss, never seen someone want curry and cheese fries so much!

Heard about 5 ambulances every half an hour in the city, and seen some lad passing out on the bridge at the cathedral.

I can see why people may think Rag Week shouldnt happen, but in fairness its about 5-10% of students that have caused trouble in town.

Says a lot when the University has to cancel rag week (probably due to council pressure), but race week lives on? Just to prop up the dwindling tourist industry?

I was talking to someone today who'd have a decent idea what went on. He said that the Gardaí had already had to get involved by 12:30 on Monday afternoon.

Jesus.I didn't now.The 12:30 incident was to do withe corribeans jumping off the quincentennial, I'd say.

Jesus.I didn't now.The 12:30 incident was to do withe corribans jumping off the quincentennial, I'd say.

dont think garda were actualy involved at all with the quincentennial jumping.

Jesus.I didn't now.The 12:30 incident was to do withe corribans jumping off the quincentennial, I'd say.
    I know about the river incident all right. I was told that this incident was around town somewhere. TBH, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some hassle on Sunday night too.
    toxick wrote: »
    dont think garda were actualy involved at all with the quincentennial jumping.
    A Garda and an NUIG student had to dive in to save a drowning student on Monday afternoon. If it weren't for the student in question it's quite likely that the passing Garda wouldn't have been alerted either.

I'm a bit fan of the tradition of Rag Week and have knocked back many a pint at them in the past but things have gone overboard. NUIG and GMIT SU and their reps will point out that a load of money is raised for charity and that the trouble is caused by a minority including a lot of non students. This is partly true but the charitable total is meagre by comparison to the total expenditure during the week and a lot of it comes from donations from people on campus who didn't even have a pint. There is definitely a lot of non-student involvement and 'rag tourism' going on but the SUs need to wake up and realise that they are directly responsible for this. Because of the increase in college numbers Rag Week has grown from groups of students enjoying themselves for fun and charity to one of the largest and most disorganised events in the country.

Until the SU gets rid of it's current dismissive and irresponsible attitude about the mess they're involved in I'm all for it being wiped out. It'll be hard to get rid of though as NUIG/GMIT management won't be able to attack the problem competently and the commercial interests in town will make sure that takes place happens at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

both rag weeks shouldn't be on at the same time anyway...

Sniipe wrote: »
    both rag weeks shouldn't be on at the same time anyway...

If they were on different times it would mean pretty much the same amount of trouble being caused only over 2 weeks of the year rather than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

It would mean it could be more managed. The two colleges are are different ends of the city, not as many places would need to be patrolled and the guards should have a bigger presence in or around the colleges and also in the night clubs and around the night clubs. Students seeing the presence of guards should behave differently.

The two were co-scheduled by the two SUs last year. This year the Gardaí apparently wanted both on in the same week, presumably to reduce the overtime bill and get the mess out of the way in one week.

I think I disagree with the point that the 2 colleges on opposite sides of the city makes a difference. The gaurds don't patrol around the eastside at all really during rag week, the only time I saw them at Glasán was because they were called out so I dont think having them separately would change that. People from GMIT just end up heading into town anyways in most cases.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know who paid for the paramedics who seemed to spend most last week stationed in Eyre Square?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement