Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAG week..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I imagine whoever normally pays them! :D

Look RAG week is over, yeah it was bad , 40 people arrested before lunchtime Monday. Yes there is too much muppertry going on, i think were all agreed on that.

So anyway, save yer moaning now for Race Week! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    Does anyone know who paid for the paramedics who seemed to spend most last week stationed in Eyre Square?
    They were paid in the tears of a Native American Chief, weeping at the broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Rag week is over, time for JustMary to find something else to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Paddy's day is in a few weeks

Caliden wrote: »
    Paddy's day is in a few weeks

That is an international celebration of us Irish! Coz were GREAT! :D

People EVERYWHERE will be getting sh1tfaced! wayyhaay!

*gets up on high horse*

Anyone care to join me! ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Same time next year?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Same time next year?
    Without a doubt. The pubs will do their own thing, the 1st and 2nd years will still be unable to hold their drink and there'll still be "rag tourists".

The only thing missing will be the €30k or so that appears to have been raised for charity in UCG last week. But that's a small price to pay for temporarily mollifying the white middle-class professional complainers.

I remain confident that any the listeners of Keith Finnegan will each be chucking in a few quid for Galway Rape Crisis Centre or the Belorussian Orphan Project.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robbo wrote: »
    Without a doubt. The pubs will do their own thing, the 1st and 2nd years will still be unable to hold their drink and there'll still be "rag tourists".

The only thing missing will be the €30k or so that appears to have been raised for charity in UCG last week. But that's a small price to pay for temporarily mollifying the white middle-class professional complainers.

I remain confident that any the listeners of Keith Finnegan will each be chucking in a few quid for Galway Rape Crisis Centre or the Belorussian Orphan Project.

It really pissed me off that that nobber Crowe put no blame on the publicans saying that the students need to be more responsible. Of course! Teenagers should be more responsible than those middle-aged publicans plying them with drink and encouraging them to get ****faced!

He would say that though, wouldn't he?

Can someone clarify for me, is it just the university that aren't supporting it anymore or will the SU still be organising charity events?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ehhhh leave Keith Finnegan out of it! Are the charity groups allowed into the pubs? other than the college bar I didn't see any walkin about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Can someone clarify for me, is it just the university that aren't supporting it anymore or will the SU still be organising charity events?
    The University have said that Rag Week is being removed from the college calendar in future. That's funny because Rag Week has never officially been on the college calendar. The SU looks like it will ignore the college.

The most likely outcome would be the University using health and safety, the fire officer and security to prevent (by objection) any event on campus that is an alcohol related Rag Week event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The University have said that Rag Week is being removed from the college calendar in future. That's funny because Rag Week has never officially been on the college calendar. The SU looks like it will ignore the college.

The most likely outcome would be the University using health and safety, the fire officer and security to prevent (by objection) any event on campus that is an alcohol related Rag Week event.

It may as well have been on the calendar the way some lecturers treat it. They see it as a nice free week off. I'll never forget final year, turning up at lectures and no lecturer turning up. Then the following week going "Now we missed last week so we'll have to fly through this bit" and then it coming up on the bloody paper.

If there were a small number of marks going on attendance to lectures each term I think it would cut down a lot on some of the daytime drinking that goes on during Rag Week.

What year was it that had both Rag Weeks and the Novena on in the same week? That was utter utter carnage, but still a bit funny that anyone thought it was a good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It may as well have been on the calendar the way some lecturers treat it. They see it as a nice free week off. I'll never forget final year, turning up at lectures and no lecturer turning up.
    I'd guess that University management would put pressure on the academic departments to actually run a full lecture programme for the week. Academics are generally more than happy to spend time doing research (or on yet another unofficial holiday) rather than dealing with undergrads.

yeah NUIG may say RAG week is cancelled but it wont stop

a) the publicans organising something

b) the NUIG studennts jumping on the GMIT RAG week bandwagon

The only thing missing will be the ¬ 30k or so that appears to have been raised for charity in UCG last week. But that's a small price to pay for temporarily mollifying the white middle-class professional complainers.

So only white middle-class people complain? Not cool old boy

To be honest, with it being 'cancelled' I can forsee students going crazier than regular.
    A sort of 'fight the power' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Caliden wrote: »
    To be honest, with it being 'cancelled' I can forsee students going crazier than regular.
    A sort of 'fight the power' moment.

Well hopefully a few court appearances and expulsions would snap that attitude right out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭yeah-buddy

i would love to box the face of justmary

yeah-buddy wrote: »

Enjoy your infraction :)

Also:

IBTL-Dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Enjoy your infraction :)

Seriously, how could anyone give a crap about these things? It's an Internet Forum ffs.... get a life (Not you pope, i'm just talking in general)

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Seriously, how could anyone give a crap about these things? It's an Internet Forum ffs.... get a life (Not you pope, i'm just talking in general)
    Can we get back to the topic in hand? It's Serious Business.

• Advertisement

JC... I was paraphrasing a 4chan meme "enjoy your banned"...

I take nothing seriously... especially the interwebz :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can we get back to the topic in hand? It's Serious Business.

It's not business, it's charity :pac:

I'll get me coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 manunited104

To be honest I didnt think that this years rag week lived up to expectations at all this year although people were saying that it was one of the worst rag weeks for messiness and abuse. I am in GMIT and it is my first year at it but apparantly there was mayhem all round, people were jumping into the corrib, I also heard of one case where someone went streaking through the cathedral. I didnt hear about it till a week after the whole thing. Rag week was too hyped although apparantly we GMIT students were angels compared to our sister college NUIG.

GMIT and NUIG sister colleges?! ahhahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

Any one know how much money was raised in the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

yeah-buddy wrote: »
    JM might like her complaining. It doesn't excuse you.

Well hopefully a few court appearances and expulsions would snap that attitude right out of them.

Something everyone else can hope to achieve next year :pac:

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    GMIT and NUIG sister colleges?! ahhahaha
    oh fine, colleges in tthe same county if ur going to be that babyish about it

Well I know what ur saying but if ur saying u don't give a crap then why did you bother writing to this forum in particular in the first place if that's the attitude. The whole idea of a forum is to discuss the topic in question. If you have a topic rag week up, u talk about rag week, not go off the point and talk about something else, hence that is what a forum is for, (in general)

• Advertisement

oh fine, colleges in tthe same county if ur going to be that babyish about it

Just get it right next time will you old boy? Theres a good chap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement