Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pub on Henry St.

Options
  • 16-02-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Bar 3 is being opened up again - any idea who's running it?

Classy is not the word to describe it....

DSC00024.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

concussion wrote: »
    Bar 3 is being opened up again - any idea who's running it?

Classy is not the word to describe it....

DSC00024.JPG

doesn't look good for you mate. that'll be loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

party round concussions apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Where is it?

I'd nearly turn gay for drinks that cheap :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It isn't still a gay bar is it? Still can't believe they closed Nevada Smyths for a gay bar... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bet the door policy is really tight and they only let the best behaved people in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Riddlers is the new gay bar but all bars are friendly to customers these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where is this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is this nevada smiths?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

yeah, used to be nevada smiths, @bazz26 it's on the corner of Henry Street and Bedford Row, beside Figaro's barbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's better that there's some business operating out of it then to have the building lying idle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

ahh about time, tought about this years ago, constant happy hour, the place will clean up. fair balls to who ever opened it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ahh about time, tought about this years ago, constant happy hour, the place will clean up. fair balls to who ever opened it.

:)
    +1

I thought happy hours were banned!

Trying to make this country sober...ne'er gonna happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nobody ever made a go of it in that building, however, with the pedestrian area they could make a go of a lunch time trade if they put a kitchen in there somewhere. You cannot survive the business without food unless you are suitably positioned in the market which that building never was.

They alienated themselves by the crowd they attracted. Young, drunks and scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

There is a pub oppoiste the Pork Shop doing every 3rd round free - can't remember the name of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I thought happy hours were banned!

Trying to make this country sober...ne'er gonna happen :D

It's not a happy hour. If you sell alchohol at the same price from when open until you close, it's allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Who is running the place now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

the guy thats runs mojo is running it i have this on good info.he use to lease riddlers but is in debt in mojo so is getting out.a friend is owed money from the business he told me so probably a case of a new compnay set up he said.getting a short term lease on the old bar 3 building for cheap because its a hard one to sell/lease

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's definately a short term lease, as planning permission is being sought to turn that whole corner into a cinema remember.

3 months tops I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It's definately a short term lease, as planning permission is being sought to turn that whole corner into a cinema remember.

3 months tops I'd say.

The developers came out a few months back and said they did not intend developing that block as a cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Developers of that site is the same company that couldn't afford to continue running the Castletroy Park even though the hotel itself is turning a small profit. I'd say it's an open ended lease.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like it's worth a look. I was never in the building before, so I won't be able to compare it with its previous incarnations.

An File wrote: »
    Looks like it's worth a look. I was never in the building before, so I won't be able to compare it with its previous incarnations.

You didnt miss much. Imgaine a mens toilet with 3 urinals, 1 toilet and two sinks. Pretty small place and a toilet attendant. Queue out the door of the womens but unlike other pubs they cannot get into the mens because thats packed as well. The smoking area is ok but the fact its basically in the pub means the smell of smoke is in the pub anyway.

The thing I hated about the place was trying to get a drink in the first place. It was very hard to move in there also.

ninty9er wrote: »
    The Developers of that site is the same company that couldn't afford to continue running the Castletroy Park even though the hotel itself is turning a small profit. I'd say it's an open ended lease.

Wrong as usual. They (Fordmount Developments) are the owners of the Castletroy Park, they had it leased to an operator (Irresistable Hotels), it was the operator that couldn't continue to run the hotel, they themselves are out of pocket by over €1m due to the non-payment of rent by the operator.

Why would a development company run a hotel when it's not their area of business?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Why would a development company run a hotel when it's not their area of business?

Bernard McNamara bought the Jurys Doyle hotels in Ballsbridge, cannot get planning and cannot sell them so is now running them as D4 hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Its going to attract nothing but kids...what was the place that was doin all drinks 2.50 a couple of years back....that place was like a creche

Berty wrote: »
    Bernard McNamara bought the Jurys Doyle hotels in Ballsbridge, cannot get planning and cannot sell them so is now running them as D4 hotels.

Ya true, but that would be the expception rather than the norm and is not the case in the situtation being discussed above.

jackncoke wrote: »
    Its going to attract nothing but kids...what was the place that was doin all drinks 2.50 a couple of years back....that place was like a creche

When NS first opened it was very hard to get in (almost icon-like) but it was a very good bar at that stage, then as you say jackncoke, it started leaving all the kiddies in and skobes and turned into a right dive.

Can definitely see this happening here.

I wish pubs were allowed do happy hours again! If not for us...for the tourists ;)

When NS first opened it was very hard to get in (almost icon-like) but it was a very good bar at that stage, then as you say jackncoke, it started leaving all the kiddies in and skobes and turned into a right dive.

Can definitely see this happening here.

I wish pubs were allowed do happy hours again! If not for us...for the tourists ;)

They used to have Cayote Ugly Style bar dancers there as well firing out free shots of tequilla. It was a very good spot for a while but went down hill fairly quick. It was styled as pub before the club style bar but it's location didn't really lend itself to that as it's not really on any route to a nightclub. It seems to be a cursed spot to lease, sort of like the place that went in beside the Wok-king. It was a chipper, then the mexican and then the latest venture, a pizza place, was closed within a couple of months.

• Advertisement

The fact it is now pedestrian may save it in so much that they can put seating outside but they should put suitable seating with effective breakers and awning rather than just plump a few chairs outside.

Cafe on the Row is doing better now since the pedestrianisation.

Advertisement