Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bish and St. Mary's Amalgamating?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

I know some part-time teachers who work a lot harder and are a lot more committed to their students and job than other permanent teachers I know with senior positions within the school.

Sometimes, promoting teachers by making them permanent or giving them more senior positions within the staff can result in their becoming complacent and a bit lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mister nice guy

According to the connacht tribune (and papers never lie) the Bish & the auld enemy are to amalgamate.

Jesus can you imagine ... "St. Mary's, the Bish" - any suggestions anyone for an appropriate name ?

The boys from the two schools could bate seven shades of ****e out of each other as the teachers would be too busy beating each other at the same time.

I have it ..... " St. Mary's, the takeover"!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

According to the connacht tribune (and papers never lie) the Bish & the auld enemy are to amalgamate.

Jesus can you imagine ... "St. Mary's, the Bish" - any suggestions anyone for an appropriate name ?

The boys from the two schools could bate seven shades of ****e out of each other as the teachers would be too busy beating each other at the same time.

I have it ..... " St. Mary's, the takeover"!:D

I apologize for using such a term to a new poster but..

Links or GTFO

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Krieg wrote: »
    I apologize for using such a term to a new poster but..

Links or GTFO
    Turns out the papers never lie, but those who read them don't filter any information.

It's a proposal, nothing more, ironically supported by Catherine Connolly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

Robbo wrote: »
    Turns out the papers never lie, but those who read them don't filter any information.

It's a proposal, nothing more, ironically supported by Catherine Connolly.

Perhaps to put right what once went wrong? :P

In fairness The Bish needs to be moved out of the centre of town, so hopefully something comes of this proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I know some part-time teachers who work a lot harder and are a lot more committed to their students and job than other permanent teachers I know with senior positions within the school.

Sometimes, promoting teachers by making them permanent or giving them more senior positions within the staff can result in their becoming complacent and a bit lazy.

I've been told that it's ok for teachers to give (paid for by parents) grinds to students in their own schools, "because the teachers are mostly part-time so aren't making a living out of the job". (Personally I think it's totally unethical, they have no incentive to teach properly the first time around.)

There's a big difference between part-time / full-time (ie how many hours the person is paid to work), and temporary/permanent.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the best deal might be having teachers who are temporary full-time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

kayos wrote: »
    Ah just a proud ex Bish student not wanting to see the schools go that way.

ha! as a proud ex Mary's student I wouldn't want to see it either. Mary's has a fantastic facility/location/space. But as a realist...

Marys has gone down hill since I left in 98. Since the boarders are gone I'd imagine there is too much space for the students... It would be a better idea if the Bish sold up and invested in St Mary's facilities both academically and in terms of sports.

An uber school... The Bish name would be lost for ever of course... muhahahaha! Mary's would win...

They should also build a small campus... The lads from the Aran islands, north Galway and north Clare have no where to board anymore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Declining enrolments in both schools is the main reason behind the move, which is expected to be completed by 2011
    Presentation school has a current enrolment of 270, while Meanscoil Mhuire has 308 pupils. The amalgamated school will be located on the Mercy Newtownsmith campus, which has capacity for 600 pupils
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/7474-city039s-presentation-and-secondary-schools-amalgamate

So who knows, have the numbers of scholar Bish attendees declined recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I know of a teacher who was a temporary teacher in one of the (girls)schools mentioned some years back, and managed to get higher than average exam results compared to many the permanent staff, ( 25-30% of her students got A's in honours leaving cert) so yes you are correct. She constantly got into trouble with some of the permanent staff because of her willingness to give her free time to help the weaker kids in the classes.Needless to say, she was driven out of the school , because her hours were drastically cut by the principle. It's not a surprise that the school has dramatically lost so many students over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

its all bs in my opinion:p.. as a current leaving cert in the bish... this is the first I have heard of the topic. ill ask jimmy tomorrow if its true.:cool:

oh and a bit off topic but for a school with no grass we are the Championies:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

great wrote: »
    its all bs in my opinion:p.. as a current leaving cert in the bish... this is the first I have heard of the topic. ill ask jimmy tomorrow if its true.:cool:

oh and a bit off topic but for a school with no grass we are the Championies:D:D

haha fair play! ex bish man myself

http://www.galwaynews.ie/7474-city039s-presentation-and-secondary-schools-amalgamate
    The education landscape in Galway city is set for major change

Presentation Secondary School and Mercy Secondary school are to merge

The decision to amalgamate the two girls schools has been made by CEIST, the organisation responsible for the trusteeship of 112 Catholic secondary schools

Declining enrolments in both schools is the main reason behind the move, which is expected to be completed by 2011

Presentation school has a current enrolment of 270, while Meanscoil Mhuire has 308 pupils

The amalgamated school will be located on the Mercy Newtownsmith campus, which has capacity for 600 pupils

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

As another former student I would hate to see the two schools amalgamate. Each school has their separate traditions and ethos and it would be a shame to see so much history go that way...

As another former student I can't see why you give a flying **** about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

grasshopa wrote: »
    As another former student I can't see why you give a flying **** about the place

Maybe because some of have fond memories of the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

well i sure care about The Pres and Mercy amalgamating,
    my daughter goes too the pres, the youngest goes too pres junior and will start pres secondary sept 2010.
    my daughter has got a wonderful education and the teachers and principal are brilliant. not sure about the mercy, as i know nothing about it, (let me know if you do !) im just not sure if the pres girls and the mercy girls are gonna get on ????????????? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭EJLL

kayos wrote: »
    Ah just a proud ex Bish student not wanting to see the schools go that way.
    GunScope wrote: »
    A proud ex-Bish student myself, and it would have been a great move if they got the ok to go to Dangan ..... Pity

I would never term myself a proud ex-Bish student let alone any other secondary school (....maybe play-school :D). It's an odd thing to be proud of.

As for the Mary's-Bish (MA-SH) amalgamation I'm thankful to have gone to the Bish without. Mary's, though a fine building and grounds, always seemed too exposed to the elements and rather depressing. As for the Bish moving to Dangan, I have to agree with the Councils decision. It would have spoilt the area. It's a pleasant walk up the Corrib during the day and having school kids loitering around druing the lunch period would be jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Classic! You probably know about this but just in case:

http://oldgalwaypics.co.uk/oldschoolmagazines.aspx

Oh god, just found myself in the 1st year pictures in the pres mag!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for that link:D

Oh god, just found myself in the 1st year pictures in the pres mag!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for that link:D
    I had a look through and found my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I had a look through and found my sister.

What year class was she in 1A1, 1A2, 1A3 or 1A4 ?????
    I was in 1A1 in the 1986 mag
    PM me if ya want, most likely know her:)

She is older than you - in fifth year in the oldest one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement