Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on Vodafone ready to go - How do I get the internet working?

• 16-02-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I can access my e-mails ok but I can't surf the net.

It's a 16 gig unlocked phone (if that makes a difference?)

Can anyone give me the required settings so I can get on the net?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

go to settings - general - network - cellular data network and enter this:

APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone

Best get a data plan though, it'll eat your credit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

you know The lovely people at Vodafone have the iPhone exempt from the 99c per 50mb daily allowance! its in the small print i had to get rid of my iPhone cos of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

gcgirl wrote: »
    you know The lovely people at Vodafone have the iPhone exempt from the 99c per 50mb daily allowance! its in the small print i had to get rid of my iPhone cos of it!

Do Vodafone give a reason for the exclusion of the iPhone? I find it ridiculous that they have excluded one handset. Talk about being bitter that they can't sell it themselves in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Do Vodafone give a reason for the exclusion of the iPhone? I find it ridiculous that they have excluded one handset. Talk about being bitter that they can't sell it themselves in Ireland.
    How would they know that the data usage is to an iPhone? If you try to use an iPhone on prepay through the ISP mentioned above, what do you get charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

How do Vodafone know which phone you have? They can't filter their data according to phone model. For example, with O2, if you tell them you've sold your iPhone they'll let you switch to a different tariff, even if you are actually using an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The IMEI of a handset is sent to a mobile network when a voice or data connection is attempted. This is how Vodafone, and any other mobile network for that matter, can tell what make and model of handset is being used on their network. I find it incredible that Vodafone then use this information, from a handset that wasn't even bought form them, against prepay users to stop them availing of their services. The users after all are still paying to use the service, so this restriction is completely unfair and unjust.

I'm not surprised by Vodafone's childish actions any longer, as it's to expected from them at this stage; it isn't the first time and it won't be the last that they've acted in much a childish and immature manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

On prepay with Vodafone
    - Using ISP it's 19c / MB.
    - Using Live it's 99c / 50MB / daily for each day you use it pretty much.

I've never heard of Vodafone limiting the Live APN to certain handsets.

Look at this forum stickys to get the settings you require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

gcgirl wrote: »

What is your source for this? I can't find anything on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Random wrote: »
    What is your source for this? I can't find anything on the website.
    If the 99c per day charge is only available through VF Live, then it isn't Vodafone who have "barred" iPhone users, but rather the users themselves who are unable (average user) to set up the workaround?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't VF Live essentially accessing "made for mobile" pages rather than the full web experience through the ISP APN. Because they are not suppliers of the iPhone they just don't have a package properly set up on prepay for it?

Advertisement