Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need More Iron?

• 16-02-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

I've recently started logging my diet on fitday and find that it is a great tool. However, I never seem able to go above 75% of my recommended iron intake. I always thought I had an excellent diet - no processed food, lots of fruit and veg. I eat plenty of meat too. Should I start going down the liver route?

I'm also amazed that my fat intake is so high - 42%.

How do you get your iron?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Red meat and green vegetables are the best source of iron. Some things like seaweed and molasses also have significant amounts.

If you are eating lots of fresh food, I wouldn't worry too much about the proportion of fat. Some of the most nutritious foods out there (eggs, salmon, almonds, for instance) are all high fat. The time to worry is if your fat is coming from processed and deep-fried food.

Go give blood.. They'll tell you what your iron level is for free. And give you a pint and a sandwich after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Thanks Eileen. I eat red meat once or twice a week and I never eat deep fried stuff. I think I'll start eating more spinach.
    EileenG wrote: »
    Go give blood.. They'll tell you what your iron level is for free. And give you a pint and a sandwich after.

Good idea. Years ago, when I went to donate, I was a little anaemic and they wouldn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

EileenG, if you are out there, I took your advice and gave blood. And my hemoglobin is perfect! Fitday know diddly squat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yah book sucks to them! Glad you are healthy!

Advertisement