Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aptitude tests for mature student university application

Options
  • 16-02-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of having to sit an aptitude test as part of their application to university in Ireland (as a mature student)...

I am about to sit one which is in excess of 2hours and although i know I cant prepare for it, I'd appreciate if anyone can fill me in on what kind of information the test looks for / examples of the content / if they are difficult??

Thanks

C.

Comments

Is this the same test the other threads are about - MSAP test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi conor, what course do you intend on studying? because the aptitude test will vary depending on the course...so tell us the course first please

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor Brennan

Hi Piriz,

I am referring to the Trinity mature student aptitiude test for the undergraduate psychology degree - I assume this is not the MSAP that other bloggers are referring to??

CAn you tell me what the MSAP is??

Thanks for the reply,

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Conor, the MSAP is a new exam that they've introduced for mature entry into UCD and UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

Hi Piriz,

I am referring to the Trinity mature student aptitiude test for the undergraduate psychology degree - I assume this is not the MSAP that other bloggers are referring to??

CAn you tell me what the MSAP is??

Thanks for the reply,

Conor

Did you go to the TCD Psychology open evening in January by any chance? The guy that gave the little talk said the aptitude test is very similar to the Civil Servant tests. He said you can't really study for it, you've either got it or you don't I suppose, but he did say that if we wanted to get a book then get one of the test books based on the Civil Servant exams. I had a wander around Waterstones, or was it hughes and hughes (bad memory) on Dawson St (is that the road opposite TCD??) and got one for about a tenner, they only had the one copy at the time a few weeks ago.

The only piece of advice I can give you is don't stress out. I did the MSAP on Saturday in UCD and it was a load of poo to be honest with you.

• Advertisement

Hi DSG,
    Many thanks for your post - it was very very helpful. And thanks for the advice regarding the book...

Can you tell me anything worth knowing from what you read about the civil servant tests e.g. are they multiple choice questions or looking for essay answers? Are there moral questions or questions which test your literary or mathemetical skill? Ultimately I am trying to understand if the test aims to see if I am a suitable candidate for psychology or for the University in general...

Any information whatsoever would be really appreciated

Many thanks again,

C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dsg

I'm not the only one who can't sleep tonight obviously!

Well I've been through the whole book and done all the tests. Mostly simple stuff to be honest. Basic grammar and spelling, which is the correct sentence out of the following four kind of thing, simple arithmetic, working out percentages, that kind of thing, multiple choice based on tables of information given.

It's all multiple choice, the book I got anyway is, and I think that's basically what the test will be based on.

I'm not sure if it's specifically geared towards the mature students that applied for Psychology or just the mature students in general.

So that's all the information I have. Best of luck on the 28th.

thanks so much for all the info -

really very helpful...good luck to you too...

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tinkleivories

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of having to sit an aptitude test as part of their application to university in Ireland (as a mature student)...

I am about to sit one which is in excess of 2hours and although i know I cant prepare for it, I'd appreciate if anyone can fill me in on what kind of information the test looks for / examples of the content / if they are difficult??

Thanks

C.

I am sitting the Trinity mature student psychology aptitude next Saturday & looking for info. I will invest in one of those civil servant exam books, but as you have already sat the exam I was hoping you could give some pointers? Is it just basic psychometric testing or is it more tailored to the study of psychology? I know there's no real way to study for a test like this but I'd like to be prepared nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jim Stark

I recieved an email from CAO today saying because of the courses I applied to I have to present an msap score, and to register by 9th February at the latest, the deadline for this apparently was 1st Feb. Now I have to pay €35 late fee plus €65 test fee!
    Why is this the first time I've heard anything about this?? I applied to CAO a week before the deadline, and never saw any notices about it anywhere. Annoyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's up to you to source the information required for the course you are applying to, not the CAO. They just process your application. They are telling you about the MSAP as the course you applied to is tagged that MSAP results are required.

Here's the website: http://www.msap.acer.edu.au/

Make sure you read all the information about MSAP and any further information from CAO and the college/uni you have applied to carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jim Stark

Larianne wrote: »
    It's up to you to source the information required for the course you are applying to, not the CAO. They just process your application. They are telling you about the MSAP as the course you applied to is tagged that MSAP results are required.

Here's the website: http://www.msap.acer.edu.au/

Make sure you read all the information about MSAP and any further information from CAO and the college/uni you have applied to carefully.

Thanks, I just registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

i got the email from cao i have applied for nursing mostly is this the apt test for nursing ?
    thanks

i got the email from cao i have applied for nursing mostly is this the apt test for nursing ?
    thanks

No, MSAP is for Arts, Social Science.

More information about the written assessment for mature entry to nursing - http://www.nursingcareers.ie/Entry_Req_Mature.HTML

what would be classed as social science ? not sure why i got the email i will contact the cao monday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_sciences

Yes, I would say it is best to contact the CAO Monday.Also, go back and have a read of the requirements for each college you applied to. Maybe you missed something.

hi
    i have applied to ucc for social worker/ care and also to ucd so i take it this is why i have to sign up for msap
    thanks for the replies

Advertisement