Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Residency approved - im confused!!

Options
  • 16-02-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

have returning residents visa in NZ up in Aug 2009. Have been back in Cork now since August 2008 and am confused as to whether to go back or not! Any one else in same boat? Have settleed in very well here - back with friends, hve good job, am happy but miss the weather and the NZ culture but not the so far away from home feeling, constatntly saving to have money to fly home. Am 35 and dont know if I could face another relocate - so stressful. Any ideas?!!Lived NZ for 3 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Pack your bags and go. I'd love to have an NZ residency, I'm in fact very jealous as having returned "home" it no longer feels like home. I'm not in the country a day and already I want out, everyone keeps telling me it'll pass, and things will get back to "normal" but why would I want that?! How did you get your residency? Did a company sponsor you to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

majiktripp wrote: »
    Pack your bags and go. I'd love to have an NZ residency, I'm in fact very jealous as having returned "home" it no longer feels like home. I'm not in the country a day and already I want out, everyone keeps telling me it'll pass, and things will get back to "normal" but why would I want that?! How did you get your residency? Did a company sponsor you to stay?

Oh sounds liek your just home?? Very hard - been there a few times now and very very hard. First time the worst when home from Australia when in my early twenties. As you get older your prioroties change - family, friends are more important that travelling solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Im now 27 and just after experiencing all New Zealand had to offer and living and working there, its depressing coming home even though having missed family and friends going back to my old routine before leaving seems like taking a step backwards if you get me. I really wish I could have found work willing to offer sponsorship or at least have had a better idea of how to go about working towards residency/citizenship before I left. Seems now that my year long WHV is up well thats my one chance pretty much gone, which is a bit depressing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Yeah I know thats how I felt when I came back from Australia. Was lucky I suppose in NZ and a little older/mature. Was running a business for a super yacht company - yeah very flash and partying all the time but I actually got fed up with it!? You can always try Australia? A country I prefer being hoonest - NZ is so backward and the weather is truly ****(althogh I hear great this year but being honest was crap for last 3 I was there). Save up and travel again - the worlds your oyster. Canada is another place which has great visa system and amazing place to go. Best of luck. Your feeling reverse culture shock - interesting topic which a lot of Irish people never feel - look it up!

Advertisement