Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 95 Sanchez vs Stevenson ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Still don't know why anyone said it was a poor card???

On paper it was as it lacked stars and it was real uphill battle for UFC as few fighters wanted to fight on it or could fight on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

i must say im very suprised by the lack of atmosphere, and looking at the arena there seemed to be alot of empty seats, and the prelims were empty nobody even turned up to support the english guys that were fighting first.
    Although it will go down well for us, maybe dublin is the new london for the ufc:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Atmosphere was very flat.

The usual big cheers for a knockdown and lots of boos for the few times people stalled on the ground or stayed standing without throwing much.

Hopefully they will consider doing more shows in Dublin if that's how the crowd is in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

there was one fight that was literally 30 ses into it and the crowd started booin:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

As usual, an apparently crap card turns out to be very enjoyable indeed. I still thought the main event was fairly crap. I'm sick of watching amateur kickboxing bouts in the octagon tbh. Demian Maia is awesome, I love seeing a zhu zhitsu guy doing well and getting lots of soobmeesions. And we got a heel hook too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Fun event overall. Diego and his antics really crack me up lol. Im not sold on him as a really great fighter though. His striking is nowhere near as good as he seems to think it is. He throws the same telegraphed combos over and over again, from that way too stiff stance, and doesnt have enough movement when he gets inside to land effectively. Also since the allessio fight, its apparent his takedown ability just isnt good enough.

On the plus side, he's probably the best scrambler in mma, has great jujitsu. an iron chin and cardio and heart for days. He's a great character for the sport and brings alot to the table, loads of good fights for him at 155 out there as well..sherk, griffin, diaz, neer etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Atmosphere was very flat.

The usual big cheers for a knockdown and lots of boos for the few times people stalled on the ground or stayed standing without throwing much.

Hopefully they will consider doing more shows in Dublin if that's how the crowd is in London.

In Oliver Copps at the arena report he wrote:
    This crowd is the very antithesis of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

was sorry to see Koscheck lose , ive grown to like him as a fighter in recent months. But man did he get caught !!!!! Not sure if i agree with the stoppage id need to see it again but thiago hesitated to pounce on him when he went down not sure if that was his experience or he thought Koscheck was out .

Over all I enjoyed this event there where some good matches

Maia's triangle was a thing of beauty !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Really enjoyed the fights on last nights card great being able to watch it at 8bells as well. Damien Maia is a sumission genius! He said after his last fight that Bisping would be a good fight for him but I reckon Bisping is not even in the same league as him. Reckon he deserves a go at Anderson Silva or Marquart would be a decent fight for him at this stage. Dan Hardy said in his post fight press conference he would like to fight Marcus Davis as he is not English or Irish & England is not his home. Fair enough he is not Irish but he has Irish roots & we have adopted him as one of our own! Would love to see this fight happen in Dublin the atmosphere would be amazing!
    For those of you punters who made the trip over if you were to give a non biased opinion how did you rate the atmosphere compared to Dublin? It didnt come across as amazing but maybe thats just how it looks on TV. Crowd started chanting alright in the Hardy fight but turn out for preliminarys was poor. Were there empty seats left at the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

A lot of the upper tier was empty and even looking around the lower tiers there was gaps in the seats.

I was surprised to see the arena so empty for the prelim's, But the people that were there gave great support to Paul Kelly, Another thing that someone has said already, as soon as the fight went to the ground the crowd were shouting for it to be stood up and booing and at the start of every fight they didn't give the guys in the cage any time to feel each other out before getting on the Boring/Booing chant.

Overall the crowd in london weren't anywhere near as good as the dublin crowd but this isn't the first event to be held over there and it's clear that the novilty has worn off. But they'll have a title fight over there in the summer while we have to wait till 2010.

At the Q&A in with marcus davies he was asked about Dan hardy, I got the impression that davis was a bit insulted at the fact a relative new comer to ufc was calling him out but he said he wouldn't mind fighting him in Dublin next march. And when i met Dan hardy after the weigh in's i asked him if he really wanted to fight Davis he said if the UFC wants the fight to happen he'll take it. Even if its in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Will post more after work, but abiding memories of the weekend; Damien Maia continuing to be total class, a few excellent finishes, a huge amount of the crowd being total clowns, meeting Marcus Davis and running into Kevin Randleman! Very enjoyable weekend all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

liger wrote: »

At the Q&A in with marcus davies he was asked about Dan hardy, I got the impression that davis was a bit insulted at the fact a relative new comer to ufc was calling him out but he said he wouldn't mind fighting him in Dublin next march. And when i met Dan hardy after the weigh in's i asked him if he really wanted to fight Davis he said if the UFC wants the fight to happen he'll take it. Even if its in Dublin.

I had an chance to sit down with Marcus and Rampage the day of the event and I asked Marcus about UFC in Dublin next year and he said he would love to fight Hardy if he is still in the UFC at that time (any thing can happen in a year) He loved everything about Ireland and said one day he is going to move over here. (His not very good at the UFC game, Rampage kicked his ass) :p

4ofus.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Interesting event. Missed the Kos fight.

A little disappointed in Gouveia, but Marquadt's gameplan was pretty good.
    Wasnt a fan of Sanchez, until I saw that entrance. Yes!. It was awesome.
    Rogan called it, Stevenson just isnt as well rounded as other LW's. Couldnt watch the Neil Grove inverted heel hook, reminds me too much of past injuries.

Damian Maia is the highlight of every card hes on for me.
    Am thinking of starting a petition to change "submission of the night" to the "Damian Maia award"

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I did think this was a pretty weak card but enjoyable enough event.

Sanchez looked a new man but nonetheless I still don't like the guy, don't rate him as highly as he rates himself and I really hate the dramatics (the entrance, the kneeling and praying, the Rayden from mortal kombat thing he's does at his introduction, talking about jesus).
    Stevenson gave the fight away, his hands were working and he had no plan B. Don't know what was going on in his head.

Nice finish from Nate the great. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another shot at silva but I think he needs another fight before the title shot. I hadn't seen much of Gouveia to be honest but I didn't see anything impressive from him in that fight.

Demian Maia continues to impress every time he steps in the octagon. I was suprised he was so low down on the fight card cos he was the guy I most wanted to see. (Same thing happens with Dustin Hazelett)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

dunkamania wrote: »
    Am thinking of starting a petition to change "submission of the night" to the "Damian Maia award"

Seconded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Damien Maia is a sumission genius! He said after his last fight that Bisping would be a good fight for him but I reckon Bisping is not even in the same league as him. Reckon he deserves a go at Anderson Silva or Marquart would be a decent fight for him at this stage.

I really really like Maia and i think his standup is quite effective for what he wants to achieve. However i think Bisping would beat him at the moment. Bisping is obviously a better striker, a decent wrassler and he is a big big guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Killme00 wrote: »
    I really really like Maia and i think his standup is quite effective for what he wants to achieve. However i think Bisping would beat him at the moment. Bisping is obviously a better striker, a decent wrassler and he is a big big guy.

Agreed. Maia swarms in and drags you down and i am not entirely sure that would work against Bisping. Still though, gotta love Maia!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I was there with Superwoody and I have to say the crowd was appalling. The place was only 20-25% full during the prelims even though there was a couple of other English fighters on the card besides Hardy. Even in full swing the arena was at 85% capacity.

It's a shame really because the card really delivered with some fine performances and exciting finishes.

On another note we got to play UFC 2009 on the Xbox360 for a few hours and it's shaping up to be absolutely outstanding. The graphics and sound are awesome and the gameplay looks set to really deliver. The grappling system is nothing like you'd expect, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the main game. I even challenged the producer of the game to a couple of fights and KOed him both times, and I'm sure the free drink he had been enjoying for the 5 hours previous had nothing whatsoever to do with the outcomes. Anyway the game is slated to come out 'Spring 2009', hopefully we won't have to wait too long for that.

Gadge wrote: »
    I was there with Superwoody and I have to say the crowd was appalling. The place was only 20-25% full during the prelims even though there was a couple of other English fighters on the card besides Hardy. Even in full swing the arena was at 85% capacity.

It's a shame really because the card really delivered with some fine performances and exciting finishes.

On another note we got to play UFC 2009 on the Xbox360 for a few hours and it's shaping up to be absolutely outstanding. The graphics and sound are awesome and the gameplay looks set to really deliver. The grappling system is nothing like you'd expect, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the main game. I even challenged the producer of the game to a couple of fights and KOed him both times, and I'm sure the free drink he had been enjoying for the 5 hours previous had nothing whatsoever to do with the outcomes. Anyway the game is slated to come out 'Spring 2009', hopefully we won't have to wait too long for that.

We also got some video footage of the game, once we get the go ahead from THQ we will upload the videos online.

Dragan wrote: »
    Agreed. Maia swarms in and drags you down and i am not entirely sure that would work against Bisping. Still though, gotta love Maia!!!

Point taken lads on Bispings standup being better but just reckon Maia would get it to the ground at some stage & then it would be game over! Seems to be a battle between Dustin Hazelett & Maia over best submissions in the UFC at the minute.For a man who doesnt look that hard he could brake your arms in seconds!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JazPnBBjGYY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Great clip, omoplata to armbar is awesome:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SPORTINGGAMEZ

Killme00 wrote: »

Not so sure about that tbh - I think maia has more than enough to take the count. It would definitely go to the ground at some stage (whether it is early or not would probably depend on bispings aggression) and when it does maia has a massive advantage!

Point taken lads on Bispings standup being better but just reckon Maia would get it to the ground at some stage & then it would be game over!

Hendo Vs Palhares was the same type of fight, Wrestling background vs Bjj and Hendo won that, Not sure if bisping has the experience to counter a world class Bjj guy like Maia though. Bisping will be fighting Hendo shortly so when hendo wins that does bisping still deserve shot at silva or does that propel Maia into No.1 spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

One thing is certain and that is that Maia needs to be propelled upwards to fight guys like Bisping or Marquardt. I think either of these guys would give him a great fight. How fantastic would it be if he tapped out either of these guys? I don't like either of 'em!

At least marquardt looked very impressive in his fight the other night, I would love to see bisping tap to a Maia choke.

I had an chance to sit down with Marcus and Rampage the day of the event and I asked Marcus about UFC in Dublin next year and he said he would love to fight Hardy if he is still in the UFC at that time (any thing can happen in a year) He loved everything about Ireland and said one day he is going to move over here. (His not very good at the UFC game, Rampage kicked his ass) :p

4ofus.jpg

Great photo there lads is Rampage as much craic in person as he is in post fight interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

nice pic dave, pity bout the guy at the end

Great photo there lads is Rampage as much craic in person as he is in post fight interviews?

Rampage is gas, we got a bit of an audio interview with him and Davis.

http://the-fight-site.com/wp-content/uploads/rampagedavisinterview1.mp3

nice pic dave, pity bout the guy at the end

I know but sure what can you do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Suprised to see the main event got fight of the night!

Thought some of the other fights were way better......suppose Dana just wants to make deigo the next lightweight contender.

Advertisement