Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how safe is telephone banking using a smartphone.

• 16-02-2009 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

how safe is telephone banking using a smartphone? are there ways that someone could hack into your account

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

quite safe. probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

It's no more dangerous than doing it on a computer. They all use encrypted connections, so it's highly unlikely. Besides, almost no accounts are hacked by someone intercepting your connection. Most are hacked through phishing scams, so if you don't give anyone your password you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would agree with the above pretty much. Using the internet on your phone is pretty much like using it on mobile broadband.

The only time you might encounter a problem I guess is if you use it to connect to random wifi hotspots and check your banking over that. If the wifi connection is compromised or whatever you may give your details away. I'd see it as unlikely though.

Personally I have no problems doing it and have done it many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would agree with the above pretty much. Using the internet on your phone is pretty much like using it on mobile broadband.

The only time you might encounter a problem I guess is if you use it to connect to random wifi hotspots and check your banking over that. If the wifi connection is compromised or whatever you may give your details away. I'd see it as unlikely though.

Personally I have no problems doing it and have done it many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

I check mine on Opera Mini and clear the cookies when im done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

mcguyver wrote: »
    I check mine on Opera Mini and clear the cookies when im done

Opera Mini uses a proxy to reformat the webpages.
    Don't they advise you in the help section that any info that passes through it COULD be intercepted and is not secure.
    Dunno if that applies to internet banking if bank sites are meant to be encrypted but i'd be reluctant to do internet banking on mobile browsers, especially Opera Mini.
    Anyone know if internet banking on mobile browsers is a good idea?

Advertisement