Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the imei and ph number logged when using telephone banking

• 16-02-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

does anyone know if the the imei and mobile ph number is logged when using telephone banking. im just wondering how secure it is to bank this way

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,678 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

thomo wrote: »
    does anyone know if the the imei and mobile ph number is logged when using telephone banking. im just wondering how secure it is to bank this way

If you mean the bank, them maybe the phnoe number if they bother, but they would not have access to the imei, only your network would know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

No, neither of these can be gotten from the web browser on your phone.

The IMEI can be gotten if you have an application on the phone to do it, but there is no way to get the phone number itself. The closest you can get is the IMSI which is the SIM card identification.

From the browser the info they can get is normally phone make and model.

edit: just realised you said telephone banking, not internet banking from the phone. For telephone banking they can only get the phone number. Even then you can hide your number from them by disabling caller id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If something illegal is being done using it then the chances are that a court order could be gotten and the call could be traced back to the phone number that it came from and in turn the device that was in use at the time.

It's not information that the person at the other end of the call is going to have or that you are going to be able to get i would think.

I would say using telephone banking is as secure as any information you provide over the phone to anyone... without issues in my experience.

Why do you ask ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thomo

would the sim card identification not reveal the number

would the sim card identification not reveal the number
    As stated people you ring only get your phone number and even this can be hidden to all but your network and the emergency services I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

The bank would log the IP address which they (or the gardee) could use to get the IMEI and phone number from the mobile phone company.

unless you use wifi. MAC addresses are typically not stored for a very long time by most routers and don't make it past the LAN. although paid wifi AP's might store them alright.

towel401 wrote: »
    The bank would log the IP address which they (or the gardee) could use to get the IMEI and phone number from the mobile phone company.

unless you use wifi. MAC addresses are typically not stored for a very long time by most routers and don't make it past the LAN. although paid wifi AP's might store them alright.
    The OP is asking about telephone banking and not internet banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

o well

then only the gardee should be able to get the IMEI. but ya know banks are all crooked and probably have some little agreement going on with the gubberment or the mobile phone companies that lets them do what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 thomo

hypothetical situation. if you forget your online passwords and call the bank you're generally asked some questions(that the bank presumes only you would know) so they can identify you. questions like what is your mothers maiden name etc. if someone else poses as you and knows these answers they can access your account. i think in the states the banks require you to log in to your account from the same phone that you sign up to the service on. this gives added protection as it requires someone to actually be in possession of your phone. i dont think any banks here use it but im not sure. try it with your own bank, pretend you've lost your password. i think its too easy for someone to do it with the banks in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

hypothetical situation. if you forget your online passwords and call the bank you're generally asked some questions(that the bank presumes only you would know) so they can identify you. questions like what is your mothers maiden name etc. if someone else poses as you and knows these answers they can access your account. i think in the states the banks require you to log in to your account from the same phone that you sign up to the service on. this gives added protection as it requires someone to actually be in possession of your phone. i dont think any banks here use it but im not sure. try it with your own bank, pretend you've lost your password. i think its too easy for someone to do it with the banks in ireland

It is possible to do this. I've done it on a friends account where he gave me the access codes. I logged on and pretended to be him to get something done for him because he didn't have access to it at the time.

But I needed his Name, DOB, Phone number, Account Code and PIN to do it. The chances of someone knowing all this are slim.

The security of telephone banking is the same for mobiles as for a landlines. If you're not happy with the security talk to your bank and ask them for the full security measures and if they can be increased. If you're still not happy don't sign up for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement