Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Star Games ?

• 16-02-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

Whats peoples take on this. I think that it could be an interesting thing to have a Premiership side play an Italian, Spanish and German All-Star side every summer much the way they do in the NFL and NBA. As with these things in the states its really a day for the fans. Something along the lines of the winning manager of each league gets to choose his own 21 man squad from his own league.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think it would be brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Good in theory but cant see the players or other managers being happy about it, expect 100 withdrawals at least. An u21 version might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Would just be another step towards destroying everything good about football. Cheerleaders will be the next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DSB wrote: »
    Would just be another step towards destroying everything good about football. Cheerleaders will be the next step.

I agree with that idea tbh

Id be well in favour of scrapping internationals and having league allstar teams play competitions instead.

And +1 on the cheerleaders - the underage ones werent really a hit in the loi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

bohsman wrote: »
    Id be well in favour of scrapping internationals and having league allstar teams play competitions instead.

And +1 on the cheerleaders - the underage ones werent really a hit in the loi.

Dude, we're sick, but not that sick! :eek:

Would much rather all-star league competitions to the international setup too, think it'd be brilliant to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

redout wrote: »
    Whats peoples take on this. I think that it could be an interesting thing to have a Premiership side play an Italian, Spanish and German All-Star side every summer much the way they do in the NFL and NBA. As with these things in the states its really a day for the fans. Something along the lines of the winning manager of each league gets to choose his own 21 man squad from his own league.

Its a good idea in theory but it doesn't really work in reality.
    The NFL AND NBA All Star games are more about getting selected for the games rather than the game itself. I personally and I think most people want to watch a competitive game and it would just be frustrating t o watch.
    Is it not enough to have player of the year and is there not a team of the year as well, maybe that could be revamped a bit.
    Its not too practical either with internationals and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

London vs the Rest instead of the Community Shield.

Töpher wrote: »
    Dude, we're sick, but not that sick! :eek:

Agreed, but they did have them at nearly every loi game there for a while a few years ago.

Last season we were treated much better with the NOTW girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

bohsman wrote: »

thatd be a feckin brilliant idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Remember they did something similar a few years ago to celebrate 50 years of the European Union and 50 years of Man Utd being in European competition? It was Man Utd against a European XI. I think it finished 4-3 to Man U. It was a very entertaining game, and a similar setup would be great.

However, I also agree that many would not want to take part. Jermaine Pennant was on the team, for God's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Yeah, I'd be in favour of something like this. Insted of a German XI though, have a La Liga XI, Prem XI, Serie A XI and a 'Rest of Europe' XI.

Also, when people say scrap internationals, I assume you mean international friendlies?

Another idea I was thinking of was a Monthly Crossbar Challenge Competition (similar to the NBA's Slam Dunk competitions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Jam-Fly wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd be in favour of something like this. Insted of a German XI though, have a La Liga XI, Prem XI, Serie A XI and a 'Rest of Europe' XI.

Also, when people say scrap internationals, I assume you mean international friendlies?

Another idea I was thinking of was a Monthly Crossbar Challenge Competition (similar to the NBA's Slam Dunk competitions).

Whats wrong with football as it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

They should include extra-time multiball too! :rolleyes:

Bleedin plastics

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Whats wrong with football as it is?

It doesn't have an all-star game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

CiaranC wrote: »

Was gonna say that meself :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

CiaranC wrote: »

Bleedin plastics

The level 12 has spoken! no more need for this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Jam-Fly wrote: »

nah, the whole lot

gets in the way of proper football imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No. I'm a big fan of Basketball and American Football but the All-Star game and Pro-Bowl are a waste of time. They're a joke and not taken seriously at all. It's just more air time for the corporate sponsors, as if they need it.

As someone stated, you'd have too many people pulling out or not turning up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The NFL Pro Bowl is a joke, been selected isn't even that big a deal anymore because the selection process is a complete joke. Most players treat it as a jolly up. If the EPL one was anything like that then nay. One thing though, a positive could be instead of the mooed 39th game would be such a Premier League series.

It'll never happen though, the clubs are reluctant enough to release for internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wonder where people pull statements like this from sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

TOP 4 v The rest of league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

How demoralising would it be not to be selected by your own manager in a team so if Ferguson wins this year he gets to pick his squad if he doesn't pick his entire team then think how demoralising it'd be for them at the start of the next season wouldn't work.

Would end up as inter v united and Barcelona v hoffenhiem/hamburg/whoever

Most of you lads would be better off sticking to playing your playstations and fantasy football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How demoralising would it be not to be selected by your own manager in a team so if Ferguson wins this year he gets to pick his squad if he doesn't pick his entire team then think how demoralising it'd be for them at the start of the next season wouldn't work.

Well you could always let someone not involved be manager... Championship winning guy or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It could be just used as a pre-season type of game in fairness. The winning manager gets to pick his 21 players and a one off match to entertain the fans. Hardly detrimental to clubs to release a player for one pre-season game. How long is a flight to Italy or Spain, 2hrs no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Say a maximum of 4 players in the squad from each team.

How would people see any of these teams shaping up?

Serie A XI

Buffon

Maicon--Chiellini--Barzagli--Jankulovski?

Kuzmanovic----De Rossi----Kaka

Del Piero----
    Ibrahimovic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

RichTea wrote: »
    Say a maximum of 4 players in the squad from each team.

How would people see any of these teams shaping up?

Serie A XI

Buffon

Maicon--Chiellini--Barzagli--Jankulovski?

Kuzmanovic----De Rossi----Kaka

Del Piero----
    Ibrahimovic

Thats a good team but imagine if it had eleven players ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Thats a good team but imagine if it had eleven players ;):D

It'd be too good then. :pac:

Lash Totti in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    No. I'm a big fan of Basketball and American Football but the All-Star game and Pro-Bowl are a waste of time. They're a joke and not taken seriously at all. It's just more air time for the corporate sponsors, as if they need it.

As someone stated, you'd have too many people pulling out or not turning up.

Totally agree, I hate the All Start games in US sports, a soccer all star game would be equally mundane

Plus in the likes the MLB all star game a certain percentage of the players are selected by fan voting.

You often get players selected that are injured for the entire season because the fans of their team just vote for them anyway.

the same would happen in soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

They do charity all-star games for UNICEF every now and again. Those matches are usually shown on eurosport. They usually get big name players and managers to take part and all players get a bit of a run out although the games are more like friendlies and aren't that competitive.

Plus in the likes the MLB all star game a certain percentage of the players are selected by fan voting.
    Brilliant! They could have a phone-in competition at half time where the guy with the least votes gets substituted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Melion wrote: »
    I think it would be brilliant

IIRC dont you think international football is past it yet you are up for this computer gamey sh1te with a lineup straight out of a Nike ad?

All star exhibition matches, mother of god. Can there be anything more meaningless and pointless? Grand if it is for charity or whatnot but if it was pay per view or something, it is a joke of a concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

shane86 wrote: »
    IIRC dont you think international football is past it yet you are up for this computer gamey sh1te with a lineup straight out of a Nike ad?

Isn't it sad that people have to put smileys on their posts in order to convey sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Isn't it sad that people have to put smileys on their posts in order to convey sarcasm

I find following club football over your own country to be nearly as bizarre a form of glory hunting as all star crap like this, so how am I to know? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement