Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B&W Conversion C&C

• 16-02-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

My first time trying to convert to B&W. It's harder than it bloody looks :rolleyes:

Any tips or C&C?

Ta

3284925517_63299fc7a2.jpg

Large

3284924703_f37e8bd2da.jpg

Large

3284924181_2cfb2f4ded.jpg

Large

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Not an expert on B+W conversions and it's kinda hard to explain the way I get to mine the way I like them but maybe #2 needs more blacks/detail.
    #3 seems the best conversion.
    Love the composition of the whole three though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DavidLane

How are you doing your conversions.... I try photoshop...channel micer and then adjust curves/levels at the end.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

Do you have Photoshop and if so which version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

#1 and #3 are the best conversions.
    #2 lacks punch. maybe try to drop the exposure slightly and add more contrast. but a really nice image: like the position of the horse and rider in the frame.
    I really don't like the vignette type frame thing thats going on but thats a personal thing.
    :) really nice images, think I will try a few more B and W's with all this grey weather we've been getting!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

some more black and more whites needed i think to make em more black and whitey....kinda grey looking, i agree bout the viggetting... tis too square to pass of as real viggetting so its kinda distracting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Yeah I'm using CS3 at the moment. And to convert I'm using Image > Adjustments > Black & White. Then playing with contrast, shadows and highlights.

Going to look for some tutorials now as I've seen some killer B&W conversions lately.

Thanks lads...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ah yes theres the problem, hit channel mixer, click momochrome and fiddle

ah yes theres the problem, hit channel mixer, click momochrome and fiddle

That's cool, thanks, I hadn't used the channel mixer before.

Okay take 2 below. I gave it a wider crop, eased up on the vignetting and 'fiddled' (tee hee) with the channel mixer.

Whaddya think?

3285966786_996b6db783.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

The way I always do it on CS3 is a bit more complex but if you get it right the result is way better. It's not destructive which means you are doing the changes on a different layer. So you can completely mess around.
    1 Go to the layers palette on the bottom right of the screen.
    2 Add a hue/saturation layer to your background layer.
    3 Take the saturation to zero.
    4 Again make your background layer current and add a second hue/saturation layer. Don't change any values.
    5 Set the layer blending mode to colour. (See the little drop down menu directly below where the layer tab is. By default it says normal)
    6 Double click on the little thumbnail of the second hue/saturation layer and mess around with the hue. You get much better results. You can also tweak the brightness and saturation.

BTW there are really cool new filters on cs4 where you can convert to BW with really good results.

enzyme wrote: »
    The way I always do it on CS3 is a bit more complex but if you get it right the result is way better. It's not destructive which means you are doing the changes on a different layer. So you can completely mess around.
    1 Go to the layers palette on the bottom right of the screen.
    2 Add a hue/saturation layer to your background layer.
    3 Take the saturation to zero.
    4 Again make your background layer current and add a second hue/saturation layer. Don't change any values.
    5 Set the layer blending mode to colour. (See the little drop down menu directly below where the layer tab is. By default it says normal)
    6 Double click on the little thumbnail of the second hue/saturation layer and mess around with the hue. You get much better results. You can also tweak the brightness and saturation.

BTW there are really cool new filters on cs4 where you can convert to BW with really good results.

That's some good work enzyme, thanks!

I'll continue playing around with it alright and see what happens, a good B&W shot is hard to beat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement