Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church nearest Mountjoy Street

Options
  • 16-02-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

I am looking for where relatives born around 1900 would have been baptised (roman catholic). They lived on Mountjoy Street in the city centre. I had a look at the register of St Mary's Pro Catherdral (my top choice of where they would have gone) and they weren't listed there. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Also St Peters in Phibsboro and Gardnier St church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sorry to hijack the thread but theres a church on the Western Way that I have always wondered what the story with it is. Judging by its style I would say it is C.O.I church but any time I pass by it it appears that it is not in use, no activity around it. It is very striking and am just wondering if anyone knows what the story with it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Do you refer to the black church at the junction of western way and mountjoy street,if so,it's a damn fine solicitor's office.Haven't noticed any others on western way,although I must admit I haven't really looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry to hijack the thread but theres a church on the Western Way that I have always wondered what the story with it is. Judging by its style I would say it is C.O.I church but any time I pass by it it appears that it is not in use, no activity around it. It is very striking and am just wondering if anyone knows what the story with it is?
    dubtom wrote: »
    Do you refer to the black church at the junction of western way and mountjoy street,
    That is the very famous St Mary's Chapel of Ease, better know as 'The Black Church'. It was a Protestant church (presumably Church of Ireland). It was designed by John Semple and built around 1830. It is of architectural significance as it has neither walls or ceilings. It was deconsecrated in the 1960's or 1970's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Berkeley Rd church (St Josephs) is the closest to Mountjoy St. In fact Berkeley St becomes Mountjoy St just after the church.

OP a wise man recently told me that a lot of the churches in the area were not active for public use ''back in the day'' I know he mentioned St peters and berkerly road. He said they were only for priest use as they lived on the grounds of the church. The gent in question lived on Mountjoy street and had to be married in a church in the Greek street area so mayby the same was for baptisms and so on.

That is the very famous St Mary's Chapel of Ease, better know as 'The Black Church'. It was a Protestant church (presumably Church of Ireland). It was designed by John Semple and built around 1830. It is of architectural significance as it has neither walls or ceilings. It was deconsecrated in the 1960's or 1970's.

St Mary's Chapel of Ease at the junction of Mountjoy Street and St Mary's Place North.

CIMG5257.jpg

sweet-rasmus - there is another (de-consecrated?) church at the junction of Mountjoy Street and Wellington Place North but I don't know anything about it or to what faith it belonged to. Here's a picture of it.

WellingtonPlaceNorthChurch.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dancor wrote: »
    OP a wise man recently told me that a lot of the churches in the area were not active for public use ''back in the day'' I know he mentioned St peters and berkerly road. He said they were only for priest use as they lived on the grounds of the church. The gent in question lived on Mountjoy street and had to be married in a church in the Greek street area so mayby the same was for baptisms and so on.

Halston Street might be worth a look then.
    http://www.churchandhalston.irishcapuchins.com/Parish.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I've had a look.
    Berkley Road church (St Joseph's) is Church of Ireland.
    St. Saviour's Dominican Priory on Dominick Street/Upper Dorset Street looks likely - I have emailed them.
    St. Peter's Church may have been too far away in Cabra.
    St Francis Xavier's Jesuit church on Gardiner St has only been a parish since 1974, so that is too recent.

Thanks for your replies :)

• Advertisement

Halston Street also looks likely, thank you. I've sent them an email also. I wonder though, if either church can confirm my relatives were members of the parish I'm gonna have to fork out on donations :D

Edit: "G.C. Ashlin rebuilt St. Michan’s Roman Catholic church, which was originally built on Anne Street North, in 1891 with a new façade and tower on Halston Street." It may have been built on the North side too late for most of the family's births...

I've had a look.
    Berkley Road church (St Joseph's) is Church of Ireland.

No, it's Catholic. I think the Carmelites run it.

spurious wrote: »
    No, it's Catholic. I think the Carmelites run it.

Definitly. I made my communion and conformation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Id say its either St Josephs on Berekely Road,St Peters in Phibsboro or Dominick Street church,all in the same radius of Mountjoy Street,Dominick St and Berekely Road being the closest,they were all active around the timeframe your looking for,Id say St Peters and St Josephs be the most likely candidates,dont think Dominick St church was around in 1900(stand to be corrected)

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    dont think Dominick St church was around in 1900(stand to be corrected)

yes, i got an email back to say that their register only begins in 1971

Edit: "G.C. Ashlin rebuilt St. Michan’s Roman Catholic church, which was originally built on Anne Street North, in 1891 with a new façade and tower on Halston Street." It may have been built on the North side too late for most of the family's births...
    Here's a pic of Halston Street Church.

HalstonStreetChurch-1.jpg

Berkley Road church (St Joseph's) is Church of Ireland
    Roman Catholic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

dubtom wrote: »
    Do you refer to the black church at the junction of western way and mountjoy street,if so,it's a damn fine solicitor's office.Haven't noticed any others on western way,although I must admit I haven't really looked.

Thanks for that, are you sure its a solicitors office? It doesnt seem to be converted or have any signage near it. It appears to disused at the moment which is a shame as it is a unique building as Wishbone stated

Aha! It seems when I read the website last night that "Church in Ireland" read as Church of Ireland in my tired eyes. Oops!

Thanks again :) I am surprised at how many quick replies I got. And thankful!

Oh! I found that one of the marriages occurred in The Holy Family Church, which is on Aughrim Street. Fingers crossed the baptisms were held there! Though, it would have been further for them to travel than their local churches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Oh! I found that one of the marriages occurred in The Holy Family Church, which is on Aughrim Street. Fingers crossed the baptisms were held there! Though, it would have been further for them to travel than their local churches.

Aughrim Street would make more sense being that it was around 1900,maybe one of your relations was from the Stoneybatter area,which is the Aughrim Street parish,it is futher then Berekely Road or Peters but not by much,it only be a 20 mins walk from Mountjoy Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

St Mary's Chapel of Ease at the junction of Mountjoy Street and St Mary's Place North.

CIMG5257.jpg

Ok, someone's gonna have to explain to me how that church has no walls or ceiling. I can maybe understand the no ceiling part as it looks like a bunch of spires, but no walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

St Francis Xavier's Jesuit church on Gardiner St has only been a parish since 1974, so that is too recent.

I played as a kid around there in the '50s and I'm sure I remember weddings taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Exit wrote: »
    Ok, someone's gonna have to explain to me how that church has no walls or ceiling. I can maybe understand the no ceiling part as it looks like a bunch of spires, but no walls?

Divine intervention?

Advertisement