Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sync folders with external h/d

• 16-02-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for something that I'm not even sure exists. I have a folder with several sub folders. Of those, every now and then I want to copy them to an external h/d. However, there are several hundred files and several gigs of info in those sub folders and I want to avoid all those questions about moving, merging, copying, etc. Is there an app I can get where I can mark several folders as 'for syncing', then connect up the external h/d and just make it go? If not, why not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I use Robocopy from the command line, works a treat. Think there is a GUI for it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Yes Robocopy will do the job for you.
    If you using windows XP you will need to download it form here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Don't worry that its the Windwos 2003 server resource kit, it will work with XP as well!!

If your using Vista, then its already on the machine.

Robocopy is a command line tool, using a GUI is much easier, information on it can be found here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2006.11.utilityspotlight.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

I have been using sync back and find it great.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

kmick wrote: »
    JordanDC wrote: »
    I have been using sync back and find it great.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

Ooh spooky, dropbox appeared on Lifehacker today (not exactly what I'm looking for) but by drilling down, I found a top 5 syncing tools post from last year that mentions both of these - I had actually bookmarked them from that post to read up on this weekend before I saw these replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i use both Synctoy and Dropbox for backing up data. Synctoy is as great little tool, never had a problem with it, and ridiculousy easy to use while at the same time making it difficult to overwrite anything.

Dropbox i tend to only use as a backup to the backups, but i've been using it for a few months now and not had a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I use a program called viceversa for mirroring data....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've settled on Syncback, barring any unforeseen disasters. I couldn't get Synctoy to delete files from the right folder when they're deleted from the left, even though I chose Echo. In any case, Syncback was a breeze to set up and tons more options (including a scheduler, Synctoy makes you use the Windows scheduler and cli)

Now, what I'd like to do is when I plug in that particular usb drive, I'd like synctoy to pop up and I can just hit 'run' to sync straight away.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

+1 for Syncback, I've been using it over the last couple of months to keep a backup of a couple of hundred gigs of stuff and it's excellent. I particularly like the scheduling feature.

My only gripe would be it won't sync my Outlook .pst file while I have it open, but thats a minor one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I use allsync.

Works well.

Supports multiple jobs/scheduling and deletions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

corblimey wrote: »
    Now, what I'd like to do is when I plug in that particular usb drive, I'd like synctoy to pop up and I can just hit 'run' to sync straight away.

Create an autorun.inf file on ur usb key and enter the following text

[AutoRun]
    open=c:\program files\path\to\synctoy\synctoycmd.exe -R “Folder Pair Name”

It should start it everytime u stick in ur sub key...

There's another way u can add it to the list of items that pop up when u insert ur usb key so u can run it manually... Can't remember how I did that tho, will try n dig it up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

unklerosco wrote: »
    Create an autorun.inf file on ur usb key and enter the following text

[AutoRun]
    open=c:\program files\path\to\synctoy\synctoycmd.exe -R “Folder Pair Name”

It should start it everytime u stick in ur sub key...

There's another way u can add it to the list of items that pop up when u insert ur usb key so u can run it manually... Can't remember how I did that tho, will try n dig it up...

are you me, i was just thinking of trying that earlier today, make things very handy for noob customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Karens Replicator

Advertisement