Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox is dying

• 16-02-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've seen loads of posts about the RROD, but in the last week my XBox has started to freeze. The game and even the desktop and boot screen have frozen - the graphics go all glitchy and the machine totally freezes, but no red rings....

Is this the beginning of then end ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

This happened to mine before mine rrod and had to send it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

How old is it?

Because mine is acting up a bit too :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Mine died over the weekend, just after it downloaded the latest update. It appears from the attached that this has happened to quite a few people.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159200/xbox_360_update_triggers_red_ring_of_death_rumors.html

I rang MS and told them I had the RROD but the tech guy said it was just a coincidence that it failed right after the update. Judging by the comments above and elsewhere, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, after nearly two and a half years of trouble-free gaming, I'm just awaiting the print labels to send it back to MS.

Looks like it's the Wii for the foreseeable future....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Its less than 2 weeks till they have it back at your door. You'll be playing it before you know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Thanks guys.
    Mine is at least 2 years old (can't remember exactly when I got it).
    I reckon I'll have to wait for RROD and then get it replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Thanks guys.
    Mine is at least 2 years old (can't remember exactly when I got it).
    I reckon I'll have to wait for RROD and then get it replaced.
    Don't log the service call until you actually get a RROD, they will charge you for the repair if you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

How long is the warranty period actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hosi wrote: »
    How long is the warranty period actually?

Warranty for standard issues is 1 year. They extended the warranty for the RROD issue to 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

crap. Once or twice lately mine has froze for a couple of seconds then works away grand. I dont want mine to die. I love it. Ill give it an ould hoover just incase some dust got in or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

does a nyko cooling fan help prevent RROD?
    or NOTHING can prevent RROD!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

4real wrote: »
    does a nyko cooling fan help prevent RROD?
    or NOTHING can prevent RROD!!!
    Stay away from them coolers - they do more harm than good and will void your warranty if MS can see evidence of their use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

Hmm little bro got RROD on his xbox sometime last week aswell. Sucks for him beacuse he got the RROD last year aswell and had to send it off, hope it is still under warranty! Have many pople suffered the RROD after the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkywolf

i think all you need is a hdd with the latest updates on it. pop it in and the internal memory on the xbox itslef should update and maybe free itslef up. worked a while back for my brothers one when i put my hdd into it. it seems to happen to the older ones.

no guarantee itll work
    but worth a try.
    :D

Hmm....It's still freezing, but still no RROD (which I need for the 3 year warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkywolf

maybe you could enduce a RROD....
    like i said extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

so does the rrod only effect older machines? I bought an xbox a few weeks back and im just wondering if they have fixed the issue on newer models?

so does the rrod only effect older machines? I bought an xbox a few weeks back and im just wondering if they have fixed the issue on newer models?
    The newer consoles run a 45nm chip (Falcon) instead of 90 so produce a lot less heat. Also the power supply was scaled down meaning it's smaller so increases airflow and produces less heat. Also they stopped using the ****ty solder wire they were originally using which means the solders for the graphics card that were burning out are much better at dealing with excess heat.

Is it really such a big problem for MS to design properly a console, or only Japanese are capable to do that? No heat issues (with integrated PSU), not to mention the vacuum cleaner-like noise... :rolleyes:

It was a rush job to meet Christmas '05 and open up a head start on Sony and the PS3. A move which is reaping rewards for MS now.

By the time the PS3 design was finalised the flaws Xbox experienced with hot-running hardware were evident so Sony had the advantage to learn from MS's mistakes. That's always the trouble with going first.

Hard to compare it to the Wii too since the Wii isn't a hot-running machine to start with.

But on the other hand it was 3 years ago! In the meantime there were so many revisions. I got my Xbox 360 two months ago. I know it is not the newest revision (175W PSU), no problems so far, but it is extremely loud! Obviously, after 3 years, MS did not learn from its own mistakes, but at least Sony did... What a shame there's no Gears of War for PS3! ;)

• Advertisement

Yea I mean there's obviously room for more improvements. I bought my Elite a year ago in April and made sure it was the Falcon with the improved PSU. Never once had so much as a crash (bar Fable II until I intalled it but I'm convinced that's Fable II's fault)

Which brings me to the noise factor - this will not longer be an issue for anyone wishing to install their games as there DVD drive is not used when playing installed games - an advantage PS3 has since it's release.

MS are making steps to improve a console which, let's face it, has probably passed it's middle-aged point.

It'll be 4 years old in November - same age the original xbox was when the 360 came out.

Got home this evening and tried the XBox again and......RROD !!!

Hurray !!

So I rang M$ and I'm covered by the extended warranty :D

Advertisement