Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watchmen - Tales Of The Black Freighter Trailer

Options
  • 16-02-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Interested to hear peoples comments on their choice to make it [a] animated and not part of the movie.

Also on a side not I'm I the only one getting really annoyed with Zack Snyder being listed as "the visionary director" the guy has 3 films under his belt, a remake of a classic horror film, an adaption of a comic book that is pretty much scene for scene from the book and a film that hasn't been released yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm. Not sold on the music they used for the trailer, but the animation looks interesting. Given the whole "the film will comment on superhero films" thing, I'm wondering whether this is going to be a commentary on cartoons.

That being said, I'm extremely reluctant to pay for it as a separate damn product. After getting stung with Gotham Knights last year (which really should've been much better than it was) I'm feeling decidedly more coy this time around.

I'm still curious about the final DVD that was being rumoured where the cartoon will be reintegrated into the film itself, though. Assuming they're both worth watching that'd be something I might enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Seems alright so far. The animation is better than I expected...I hope they don't have music like that in the actual thing though.
    I'd still rather watch it during the Watchmen film though. I heard there was a possibility some cinemas would show the two together, is that true?
    On a related note, any chance of a Boards get-together to see the film? Cineworld perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I am also a visionary director, I filmed my friends cat...I also made a visionary cup of tea earlier.....

I quite like the animation - it'd be really interesting if they did weave the DVD in with the film on the DVD - but I wonder how jarring that's be to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Saruwatari wrote: »
    I heard there was a possibility some cinemas would show the two together, is that true?

No as there wouldn't be a print of the two together but the studio has claimed they will release a special edition dvd with tales of the black freighter edited into the full film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

This reminds me of "Heavy Metal 2000" and that's not really a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Impressed with the animation alright. Been so long now since I've read Watchmen that I can barely remember the Black Freighter storyline (though I remember loving it the whole time I read those parts) so I'll look forward to seeing it. Might watch it online first to see if it's worth getting the DVD of in the end....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Will they splice it together as I read in the book I wonder, or all in onepiece as an extra. It looks good though. Cant wait for Watchmen and this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I hope the extended Watchmen cuts to Tales just like the graphic novel. That'd be epic, though it might interrupt the flow somewhat.

The extended cut will have this edited into it and Snyder has said that the original endign from the comic will also be in there. Early reiews for the film are popping up and all very positive with most giving it 4 stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ComicCast

I guess after making the decision to not have it as part of the movie, the obvious choice was to animate ala Gotham Knights (as Fysh said) and the Dead Space prequel animated film to the PC game.

I seen Watchmen last week (reviewed in full over the Comic Cast) and if the Black Freighter story was woven in it probably would have been another 40mins added on to a film that is already a tad too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Not to mention the time it would have taken to film it, the cost of hiring a new cast of actors, props, sets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ComicCast

Precisely! Interesting to see that on an appeal Watchmen was brought down to 16's from an 18's cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 henriksen

I finally read “Watchmen”. I had to see what all the fuss was about, and while I think it must have been ten-times better when it was originally released it is still an impressive piece of work and is actually only the second comic I have ever read (the other being “Sin City: The Hard Goodbye”) and I am quite anxious to see just how Zack Snyder plans on turning it into a feature film.

Advertisement