Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditching Eircom but under contract

Options
  • 16-02-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I recently switched from BT to Eircom for calls rental and broadband. Since the move my Broadband service has been disgraceful. I sould be receiving 7MB but browsing is practically imposible and download speeds are dial up like.

The have repeatedly blamed my Laptop my pc and then my Sky. Ive had BT for 5 years without an issue with any of these and was getting 7.6 down and 568 up.

I switched for a little cheaper price but mainly free Meteor calls. It is not worth the hassle and I want to return to BT asap.
    My question is: If I'm contacted to Eircom for a year can I ditch them after 6 weeks? I knoe they'll probably say I'd be in breach of contract but surely they are in breach of contract seeing as I'm not getting the deal I'm paying for?

Ayone any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

jarvis wrote: »
    Hi
    I recently switched from BT to Eircom for calls rental and broadband. Since the move my Broadband service has been disgraceful. I sould be receiving 7MB but browsing is practically imposible and download speeds are dial up like.

The have repeatedly blamed my Laptop my pc and then my Sky. Ive had BT for 5 years without an issue with any of these and was getting 7.6 down and 568 up.

I switched for a little cheaper price but mainly free Meteor calls. It is not worth the hassle and I want to return to BT asap.
    My question is: If I'm contacted to Eircom for a year can I ditch them after 6 weeks? I knoe they'll probably say I'd be in breach of contract but surely they are in breach of contract seeing as I'm not getting the deal I'm paying for?

Ayone any advice?

Thanks

If the BT service you are talking about was Bitstream (i.e. eircom's service Wholesaled through BT) then it probably won't matter if you go back to BT, because you'll probably find the quality is the same. I'd guess you were probably unlucky in that the exchange you are on has started to congest over the past month or two. If you let me know what exchange it is I might be able to find out if it is supposed to be upgraded any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Thanks for the reply grommet.
    It's the Ashbourne Exchange. I'm convinced itsy an Eircon eproblem but they keep blaming anything else they can

Does it make a difference that my wifi picks up 9 other Eircom networks and no BT??

Wil I be able to move back without a load of contract rubbish thrown at me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

jarvis wrote: »
    Thanks

ComReg have recieved a complaint from Vodafone about their free calls to meteor, they said they're driving customers to meteor. ComReg have decided that their prices are too low and they need to put them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭revolver2k

Op - If you're looking to get out of the contract early, tell them you're moving house, and that the house you're going to already has eircom broadband. I was on the 7Mb bundle and recently had to cancel as i was moving, and i'd only gone through 3 months of a 12 month contract period. I called them and explained i had to move, and the lady i got was sound about it. Final bill arrived to my new address, done and dusted.

Advertisement