Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complete beginner's running log!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Well done you! You're doing great.

Did you find the mucky race a laugh? I think I must be crazy because the muddier I get the more fun it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Walls wrote: »
    Well done you! You're doing great.

Did you find the mucky race a laugh? I think I must be crazy because the muddier I get the more fun it is.

Aww thank you! :D
    Yeah it was good fun!! Haven't gotten that messy in a good while now! I remember Homelands in 1998 I think, Got covered in muck from head to toe!! One of the best days ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

deffo deffo the thing that did it fr me was cycling up a hill on my singlespeed then getting off throwing up all over the place and almost fainting i decided i was gonna do my damndest to give up ciggies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Aww thank you! :D
    Yeah it was good fun!! Haven't gotten that messy in a good while now! I remember Homelands in 1998 I think, Got covered in muck from head to toe!! One of the best days ever!!
    jesus i totally forgot till now about homelands , think it was that year that i was there too , mental times !

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    deffo deffo the thing that did it fr me was cycling up a hill on my singlespeed then getting off throwing up all over the place and almost fainting i decided i was gonna do my damndest to give up ciggies
    OMG! That would def put you off the fags!! I only realised how much damage they were causing to my lungs since I've started running.
    Seres wrote: »
    jesus i totally forgot till now about homelands , think it was that year that i was there too , mental times !
    I still have the whistle I bought there! lol :o

Been out of action for a few weeks due to an old injury & my lack of keeping up with the Physio, hopefully thats the end of that!

Did a mile yesterday to get back into things then strength training in the gym.
    Dreaded DOMS today!

PS. still off the fags! in the 6th week now!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How long would be recommended to stretch before goin for a run? And would ya notice a difference if ya drank a good bit of water/stayed away from junk food the hours before goin for a run? Sorry if these are stupid questions, was just wonderin!:pac:

Cake Man wrote: »
    How long would be recommended to stretch before goin for a run? And would ya notice a difference if ya drank a good bit of water/stayed away from junk food the hours before goin for a run? Sorry if these are stupid questions, was just wonderin!:pac:

I find a good 5 minutes to stretch overall is enough for me, but others need a bit longer. Holding each stretch for at least 15 seconds. I repeat it a few times.

Would you notice a difference in what? Not sure if I know what you mean?

I can't drink a whole lot in the half hour before I exercise because I'll get a stitch, and you're better off not eating too much junk food, eat plenty of rice & pasta instead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I find a good 5 minutes to stretch overall is enough for me, but others need a bit longer. Holding each stretch for at least 15 seconds. I repeat it a few times.

Would you notice a difference in what? Not sure if I know what you mean?

I can't drink a whole lot in the half hour before I exercise because I'll get a stitch, and you're better off not eating too much junk food, eat plenty of rice & pasta instead :D

Ah that's great, I'll stick to that so thanks for that MoonDancer!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Update your feckin log!

Went up the Mountain yesterday. Ran a mile, had to stop once or twice because my back was getting sore again and walked/jogged the new route for the warriors run on the top part of the Mountain. Actually ran a lot more then last time. :D
    Don't know if it was a good idea or not, there were lots of sheep & lambs there which made me feel a bit uneasy because they had a staring match with us! :eek:

I ran 15 minutes non stop today!!! Very proud of that :D
    I went to the gym today, the weather was horrible out, I knew I could run 10 minutes non-stop so I wanted to run for a bit longer... (I'm deadly) :cool:
    Total mileage- 2.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CATMAC

Hi Moondancer,
    I cant believe I found someone so similar to me on this !!!...QUESTION THOUGH !!!....When are you runnin...and when are you jogging ???....I'm trying to figure out from your times...Im only 5'2 with wee short legs :D....
    Been on a weight loss mission ...this is week 10...almost 21lbs off so far...another 21lbs to go :eek:....I smoke:mad:...and no intention of quitting at least until weight is GONE !!!....
    I do 5min warm up 3mph/3.5mph...Run?? Jog ?? 4.2/4.7mph for up to 20min & cooldown 3.5/2mph....all on treadmill ...wouldnt inflict the sight of things bobbing about on the public just yet !!!
    Think I'm really slow but it feels fast 4 me...I must be soooo unfit:(
    What you think ?...Takes me around 30mins to do the 2 miles with the warm ups and cool downs....Thats not good ???!!!...Well it is 4 me but you know what I'm gettin at...34 year old fem...

Hi Catmac :)
    Wow, you are doing great!! Congrats!! :D Do you run for 20 mins non stop?? :eek:
    I suppose I'm not really running, just jogging. I'm just going for distance & I couldn't care less about my speed at the moment.
    Everyone keeps telling me, 'as long as you're doing it, thats all that matters' I've been reading everywhere for beginners to take it as slow as possible so you can hold a conversation and that speed will come in time as you get fitter. Are you following a running programme? The one I'm doing is great. the fitness just creeps up on you without you realising!
    You're doing great, don't be worried at all :D

I moved up to the new plan today.

3 min warm up walk - (wasn't mentioned in the plan)

10 min run
    5 min walk
    10 min run
    5 min walk
    10 min run

4 Minute cool down walk.

Total mileage 4.8 !!!!!

Easy peasy!! :cool:

This plan calls for a 20 minute run on day 4 or 5 I think!! :eek:

• Advertisement

I moved up to the new plan today.

3 min warm up walk - (wasn't mentioned in the plan)

10 min run
    5 min walk
    10 min run
    5 min walk
    10 min run

4 Minute cool down walk.

Total mileage 4.8 !!!!!

Easy peasy!! :cool:

This plan calls for a 20 minute run on day 4 or 5 I think!! :eek:

I dont get this at all:confused:....Im warming up for 5 mins starting at 3mph,up to 3.5mph then running for 20mins non stop @ 4.4mph and then the cool down fro 5 min @ 3.5mph downwards !!!!....most Ive managed is 2.25miles....Am I runnin' backwards or what ????
    You must be sprinting for those 10 mins ???:eek:
    Feeling totally inadequate here:(.....this is my 11th week startin' Mon and I couldnt manage 2 mis runnin at the start so I know this is an achievement but COME ON !!!! ????:eek: LOL

CATMAC wrote: »
    I dont get this at all:confused:....Im warming up for 5 mins starting at 3mph,up to 3.5mph then running for 20mins non stop @ 4.4mph and then the cool down fro 5 min @ 3.5mph downwards !!!!....most Ive managed is 2.25miles....Am I runnin' backwards or what ????
    You must be sprinting for those 10 mins ???:eek:
    Feeling totally inadequate here:(.....this is my 11th week startin' Mon and I couldnt manage 2 mis runnin at the start so I know this is an achievement but COME ON !!!! ????:eek: LOL

I walk at 5.5 mph for a warm up and run at 7.2 mph, I'm 5'6" so my legs would be longer then yours ;)
    Don't be worried about how fast you're running compared to others just do it at your own comfortable pace. If you're really worried, start a thread in the athletics forum here & ask everyone what they think, they'd be able to help you a lot more then I could. :)

Hey, thanks for that...explains alot !!! Its Running for me at 5.5mph :D....Thats funny...thanks 4 the insight and am taking your advice on board....keep up the good work ;)

Aww thanks Catmac, You're doing great yourself! Keep up the good work! :D

2 min walk
    4x (8minute run 1 minute walk)
    2 minute walk.

Pure torture in this heat!!! But gotta love the weather while it lasts :D

Total mileage 4.20

• Advertisement

Been sick so took a week off.

Back today :D

10 Minute run
    3 min walk
    10 Minute run
    3 Minute walk
    10 Minute Run
    4 Minute walk

Murdered with hayfever so been doing this in the gym on the treadmill so just added in some incline now and again. I don't know how I'll manage the warriors run, I'm imunne to the medicines :(

Total Mileage 4.3

Just a little update,
    I've been given some prescription antihistamines for my hayfever & they're making me really drowsy, hopefully that'll wear off the longer I take it so I haven't been able to get out running yet :( I'm sick of hayfever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭SligoL

I'm just wondering have people chanced actually running the Warriors course? I want to "get some hills" in because my running is generally on flat land and that wont be much use to me when I try to conquer the mighty Knocknarea!!!

SligoL wrote: »
    I'm just wondering have people chanced actually running the Warriors course? I want to "get some hills" in because my running is generally on flat land and that wont be much use to me when I try to conquer the mighty Knocknarea!!!

Yeah you definitley need to get some hill training in before you do it.
    I'm up the Mountain every few weeks and I always see people running the course. I haven't ran the road part yet, it's usually the top part I do. That'll have to change tho! :eek:
    Will this be your first time to do the Warriors run?

Might give it a go at the weekend, I'm thinking I'll need to sort out some sort of technique so that I dont just fade after the mountain with so much of the race left to go.

Warriors-virgin alright, quite nervous about it. I'm currently only running 8-10k so I need to start getting some longer runs in, quite a bit of time left though I guess.

If you're already running 8-10k you should have no problem running it.
    There's a running schedule on the warriors website, which includes hill training so you could have a look at that and increase your mileage every week following that.

Great thanks, I've been on the site loads, but havent been abiding by the training plan at all. This thread is great for seeing how other people are getting on etc aswel.

Good luck with the training SligoL, Keep me updated :D

Got out for a run today.
    The goal was:
    10 min run
    3 minute walk
    10 minute run
    3 minute walk
    10 minute run

Total of 3 miles

Today was a tough day, 1st day back running in two weeks!
    I did the 1st two 10 minute runs and maybe 3 minutes into the 3rd 10 minute run.
    This hayfever is killing me, I'm a mess after being outdoors running. Nothing is working at all. The doc better sort me out properly next visit!

I have been so bad lately keeping up with this!

Today's plan
    3x (10 min run 3 minute walk)

But actually did it 4 times without realising until I got home.

I changed route today, had a mile long uphill run at the start, nearly killed me but did it non stop. Mostly flat after that which felt good until the last mile

Total mileage 4.12 which took me about 55 minutes I took it really slow and steady

• Advertisement

ok 1.5 miles in 14 mins how easy is that for a beginner
    smoker?

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    ok 1.5 miles in 14 mins how easy is that for a beginner
    smoker?

Thats good, it's about what I do too and a lot of others on here on their long runs. They usually try to get fast on their shorter runs.
    You smoke? I just quit a couple of months ago. :D

Thats good, it's about what I do too and a lot of others on here on their long runs. They usually try to get fast on their shorter runs.
    You smoke? I just quit a couple of months ago. :D
    I quit every day

It's tough work. I used the patches & found them great. Depends on if you really want to stay off them, and I reckon, if it wasn't for this Warriors run, I'd still be smoking!

Total mileage 4.12 which took me about 55 minutes I took it really slow and steady

This was actually 5 miles! I realised I missed an area putting in up on mapmyrun. :)

Took a week off, I must be the most sickness prone person around!

For the first time ever I ran 20 minutes non stop! I'm delighted!:D

The plan was:
    20 minute run
    5 minute walk
    10 minute run.

I was stuck for time as I was forced to go out for a few drinks, so I only walked 3 minutes because I couldn't get home fast enough! haha :o

Total of 3.5 miles

I'm going to go up a level in the training plan and start using the warriors training plan from week one, I probably need to start upping the miles now that it's only 5 weeks away :eek: I'll miss out on the last few weeks of the training plan since I'm starting late, but better then risking an injury.

Day one called for 4 miles

Daniels plan is
    30 min run
    6 strides
    6 minute run

I left out the strides and took a five minute walk instead.

Ran 3 miles in 30 minutes non stop, another first for me!! :D

I ran 40 minutes non stop today!
    It was on the treadmill, on the hill training setting, 10 minutes of the hills was enough today, I was too tired, hence the treadmill! so just ran the rest on 1% incline.
    This seems too good to be true!

Total of 4.5 miles in 45 minutes

Today was supposed to be 5 miles, only had 3.5 in me today because silly me, skipped usual time for dinner and said I would have it after my run.

Total of 3.5 miles in 33 minutes. Non stop baby!! :D

• Advertisement

Ran the road part of the course over the weekend (i.e. didnt run to the carpark and excluded the minor matter of the actual Knocknarea climb!) there are a few naaasty hills on the first leg, wow my legs were struggling and I had to walk a little after them.....just over a month left!!

Well done SligoL
    I need to get out soon and have a go at the road part myself. Maybe this weekend I can get up there. :D
    Good luck with the training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Warriors Run - 28th Aug 2009
    stmochtas

Roll Call for the 28th as haven't had an update on this thread in a while. Slight niggle at the moment myself but hope to line-up.

14 Days to go til the Warriors run :eek:
    Just getting over a few infections for 3 bloody weeks

Did an easy 3 miles today, & it felt really really tough. Got very puffed out & had to take a walk break twice.
    Didn't want to take this long out of training so close to the race, but it was needed.
    Hopefully it won't be too hard to get back into the swing of things before the Warriors run.

I'm out of action til the weekend hopefully. My bloody back & neck seized up on me again.
    Not having much luck this month as far as training is going.

That sucks Moondancer, but the rest will do you more good than risking making it worse. Fingers crossed you'll be back in action by the weekend :)

• Advertisement

Thanks SligoL
    It's already loosening up but I'm not gonna chance anything until I know for sure. How's your training going?

Ok, I've covered the 10 mile distance (once) in training but I'm still quite worried about the hills.
    Need to keep reminding myself that I'm doing the race for enjoyment, haha.
    Going to do mainly short runs for the next two weeks, other than one long one this Saturday and then hopefully legs will be in tiptop condition on the day.

My first run since my Back & neck loosened up I did half of the road part for the Warriors run, had to turn around at the carpark because I was getting sore and had to walk the rest of the way back.
    I've been doing no running since, I don't want to take a chance of hurting myself again, so I've been walking 5-6 miles instead to try and keep the legs active at least!
    It sucks, I've lost a lot of progress this month.
    So I'm just hoping to finish the warriors before 2.5 hours!
    I've been promised another piggy back if I need it, lucky me :D haha
    Not long now 4 days to go! :eek:

Just did a mile last night. Warriors run tomorrow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good luck tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement