Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie O' Dea in UL

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I heard there was to be a protest today against fees co-inciding with Willie O' Dea's visit to campus. I was mad to go but unfortunately was in bed dying sick. I had a firm horn in my bed just thinking about accosting him.

Did anything happen or did it pass without incident?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

As far as I know his presence was protested at the White House. I don't think an attempt was made to stop him coming onto the campus as I quote "the Minister of Defence is not protected by the Guards.... he's protected by the army and that is one chance I don't want to take, safety first"!

I would have gone, only I was at the KBS course board at the time trying (among other things) to explain why there is such a low attendence of students in the KBS - can you imagine telling your lecturers that !!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I heard there was to be a protest today against fees co-inciding with Willie O' Dea's visit to campus. I was mad to go but unfortunately was in bed dying sick. I had a firm horn in my bed just thinking about accosting him.

Did anything happen or did it pass without incident?

Not a clue but one thing I am certain about is that a firm horn would be the last thing I'd get thinking about Willie O'Dea.

ninty9er on the other hand.....well he's probably aroused every night thinking about Willie willy
    DJCR wrote: »
    I would have gone, only I was at the KBS course board at the time trying (among other things) to explain why there is such a low attendence of students in the KBS - can you imagine telling your lecturers that !!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was everyone in the pub at the time? I'd the take the pub over a protest anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I had reason to put someone in contact with the Minister's office this morning, at which point said person was told Willie was due to be on campus, but postponed a number of days ago. His PA had no knowledge of a visit to UL.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I had reason to put someone in contact with the Minister's office this morning, at which point said person was told Willie was due to be on campus, but postponed a number of days ago. His PA had no knowledge of a visit to UL.

I'm actually confused now.............. Was he or was he not here............. And why does his PA not know what he's up to (though I will say I'm not surprised)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

He wasn't here. I was talking to his diary person and then to someone in the press office. Important meeting apparently led to cancellation (at least that's the official line), the relevant UL person had been informed. I was given a non-broadcastable reason for the meeting, if it comes out in the next few days I'll believe it.

Security were still stationed at the four points of entry to Plassey House though, chatting to one of the guards with my student hat on, they didn't want a repeat of the Bertie goes to NUIG/peabrains run at the ICO building door fiascos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

As far as I know the SU knew Willie O'Dea wasn't going to be there but they only found out a couple of hours before the protest. At this everyone knew the protest was planned so they decided to go ahead with it anyway. Just because there isn't a minister around doesn't mean you can't still protest against fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I don't think an attempt was made to stop him coming onto the campus as I quote "the Minister of Defence is not protected by the Guards.... he's protected by the army and that is one chance I don't want to take, safety first"!

Willie doesn't need anyone to protect him ;)

lk8eu0iedhdk570245zu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ergonomics wrote: »
    As far as I know the SU knew Willie O'Dea wasn't going to be there but they only found out a couple of hours before the protest. At this everyone knew the protest was planned so they decided to go ahead with it anyway. Just because there isn't a minister around doesn't mean you can't still protest against fees.

Pretty much it. We only found out on the Thursday prior that he was scheduled to come on campus, then an hour or two before the event we found out he wasn't coming. There was no point in canceling it at that point; no harm in a quick rally and a pep talk from El Presidente. Plus putting a Willie-look-alike in the stocks and firing water-filled sponges at him wasn't the worst last-minute idea... :pac:

Jaysus he's a slippery fecker............ keeps everyone guessing !!!!

Oh well, I'm happy the protest went ahead anyway - Especially after the USI stunt of "sending us the wrong date" for the protest in Dublin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Oh well, I'm happy the protest went ahead anyway - Especially after the USI stunt of "sending us the wrong date" for the protest in Dublin!!!

I personally informed 3 sabbats that they had the date for that wrong which any website could have confirmed. I think it was more of, as Sceptre said, not wanting to be associated with peabrains.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

As far as I know his presence was protested at the White House.

Its good to see the Obama administration taking an interest in the plight of Irish students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ninty9er wrote: »
    I personally informed 3 sabbats that they had the date for that wrong which any website could have confirmed. I think it was more of, as Sceptre said, not wanting to be associated with peabrains.

No, the official literature that we had received stated the 3 February, and not the 10. We did not receive anything official to say otherwise until it was too late to re-organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

As Pa O' Brien said, there was sperm, but no Willie!

Advertisement