Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections - the cost?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 12:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the (application) costs involved in running at local election level and the procedures about going about doing it?
    Is it now too late to apply for the next local elections coming?

Help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Biggins wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is the (application) costs involved in running at local election level and the procedures about going about doing it?
    Is it now too late to apply for the next local elections coming?

Help?

With the Generals you can apply up to 10 days before the polls open. I think that would apply to the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

According to Citizens Information, the ol' reliable when it comes to stuff like this:
    If you wish to be nominated to stand for election to a local authority in Ireland, there is a specific week in which you must be nominated. This week takes place 4 weeks before the polling day.
    So you can still run, as long as your nomination is in by... May 9th? Hmmm, my maths is a little dodgy, but basically some time around then.

However bear in mind that the main political parties have already had most of their selection conventions and are wrapping up the final ones this month. Also, a politics lecturer in UCC did an interesting study last year which found that the average campaign in the local elections starts 3-4 months before polling day. So basically now is the time to be getting your skates on ;)

Just out of interest, are you planning on running as an independent or affiliated to a party?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Stargal wrote: »
    According to Citizens Information, the ol' reliable when it comes to stuff like this:

So you can still run, as long as your nomination is in by... May 9th? Hmmm, my maths is a little dodgy, but basically some time around then.

However bear in mind that the main political parties have already had most of their selection conventions and are wrapping up the final ones this month. Also, a politics lecturer in UCC did an interesting study last year which found that the average campaign in the local elections starts 3-4 months before polling day. So basically now is the time to be getting your skates on ;)

Just out of interest, are you planning on running as an independent or affiliated to a party?

Independent, to highlight some issues. Don't stand a chance of winning (probably in all honesty) but hell, if I manage to put pressure on others higher up the official ladder to get their backsides into gear even for a day and do something advantageous for the community, it will be worth it.

I wonder from the link you gave...
    the signatures of 15 assenters

Does that mean if I get 15 assenters, can some be my family to sign, just to get the ball rolling?
    I must ask about this somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Biggins wrote: »
    Does that mean if I get 15 assenters, can some be my family to sign, just to get the ball rolling?
    They can all be your family if you like as long as they're on the electoral register in the area in which you're running. You're probably as well off getting as many family members as possible, they may be more likely to do the necessary presenting themselves at the local authority office to verify their identity.

Advertisement