Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come Tesco is so dirty and messy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Cant stand Tesco, they seem to have lost the plot while implementing their plan for world domination. Poor quality fruit, veg & meat. Low stock levels of perishable items. Value only on specials - expensive on many other items. Staff who could not give a monkeys. No greater selection in larger stores, just more of the same items. Need I go on? Dunnes are far superior...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I worked in a few tescos as a contractor during refits, since then I never buy foodstuffs in Tesco. The Butchers Dept's in these shops was a disgrace!
    I don't know how they get away with it. Why aren't food safety authorties closing these kips down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Totally dislike Tesco too. The aforementioned filthiness of their stores, and I include in this 5 stores either built or refurbished within the last 4 years, so new enough stores that all look completely manky and old. The dodgey special offers, the only thing special about them is that they are crap. The repeated overcharging. The staff who don't like you very much. The out of date food on the shelf(I mean months out of date in some cases). The reduced to clear sections give you a pittance off sometimes mouldy/bashed/green food. The many posted bargains in bargains alert that were only available in some tesco in the west. The price increases that kept on going....jaysus I could go on forever!!

Had been avoiding Dunnes for many years in favour of tesco, but its now the opposite as Dunnes have improved immensely(except for moustached managers). Likewise Supervalu is on the up. And lidl and aldi too(although it has to be said that they are increasing their prices).

The unfortunate thing is to get a "good value" shop, I would have to shop between the four each week. I'm lucky in that I have the 4 in a 5 mile radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I find Tesco's Wexford pretty good. Its clean, and well stocked when ever I'm in there. Most of the staff are o.k.... one or two unhelpful ones... but nothing to complain about.

IMO its the best and cheapest supermarket in WExford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Must depend on the part of the country you're in! Carrick on shannon branch is a clean, relatively tidy store imo, and they seem to be fairly on the ball in relation to cleaning spillages etc. Looks abit messy if you go in in the early hours when they are stocking the shelves, but sure you'll have that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I enjoy shopping in the Clearwater Tesco. Every week I get something for free due to their sloppy overpricing. To save time I now bring the pricetags up to customer service desk. Sometimes I think I might get banned at some stage.
    I do my fruit and veg shopping in Lidl now because it is cheaper and better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

My Mom used to work in Quinnsworth when Tony Keohane, now CEO Tesco, was a regional manager for Quinnsworth.

That time every thing had to be spic & span, she said that he even went down on his hands and knees to check if the floor under shelves were swept and cleaned

She is very saddened with the way Tesco are operating and refuses to shop there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

JDxtra wrote: »
    Cant stand Tesco, they seem to have lost the plot while implementing their plan for world domination. Poor quality fruit, veg & meat. Low stock levels of perishable items. Value only on specials - expensive on many other items. Staff who could not give a monkeys. No greater selection in larger stores, just more of the same items. Need I go on? Dunnes are far superior...

Couldn't agree more with this. Nail>>head. Whenever I get an out of date item it always seems to be at Tesco, on the 14th I bought some doughnuts dated the 12th. I've sent Tesco two letters to their head office pointing out that they are not implementing their offers properly, no reply, nothing. We've actually ended up buying only petrol from Tesco, and to be honest I'd rather give the money to somebody else.

We now get all our food from our fishmongers, butcher, Aldi/Lidl and our local Artisan supermarket. We leave shopping at Tesco to others, although I doubt they'll miss our custom.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

We leave shopping at Tesco to others, although I doubt they'll miss our custom.

If everyone else starts thinking and doing the same it would be decimating for their business.

Just thinking that their isnt many thread regathering the other supermarkets for consumer issues. Tesco is the post popular it seems....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the tescos branch in the basement in the jervis centre is absolutely filthy

so is the other one in drumcondra rd

shelves are always empty ,products rarely in stock

disgraceful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't think the Maynooth staff are that bad. TBH the younger staff are better than the older ones who seem to not want to serve you at all and treat you like your a piece of crap. I used to assume it was because I was a student, I'm not anymore for a few years but still get this treatment from them :rolleyes:

The auld ones seem to insist on garda id from people for buying alcohol too. My housemate was refused when he used his passport as id! Garda age card only. Ridiculous and glad to give more business to local off-license TBH.

The Maynooth store isn't that dirty that I've noticed but the stock is terrible. Really right what people say here, they are just using extra space to stock even more of the same stock! Whats the point in that. Just using the floor as a store room and making me walk around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

delllat wrote: »

so is the other one in drumcondra rd

disgraceful

I don't think that store is that bad actually.
    And Artaine Castle is pretty good imo, maybe it's down to store management.
    Managers of Tesco Ballyfermot should be sacked in the morning, place is filthy!

Also, the staff seem to vary greatly from shop to shop!the one in ballyfermot is pretty dire,they'd rather carry on their conversations with eachother than serve customers.

+1, especially Ballyfermot.
    The checkout staff chat away to each other and shout over you while scanning your stuff. Ok, I'm not going to pull them up on this but don't just stop scanning just to discuss the best fake tan or what lad you scored last weekend, I don't want to know!
    Don't forget having them to ask them to stop texting while you're trying to get them to use your credit card :mad:

Offtopic, staff in M&S, IFSC are fantastic, best retail staff I've met in Dublin.
    Tesco could learn from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Sammag wrote: »
    The Rathmines one was always a disgrace. Merrion wasn't too bad.
    I just always assumed it was that no-one, not even the managers gave a f*ck because they resented having to work in a sh*thole.

If that is their attitude to my country, it reflects badly on them.

I get one thing in Tesco: Lá Breá bread, which is really good. Don't know where else stocks it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

tbh wrote: »
    you're right - it's too widespread for me not to believe that it's actual policy for tescos. It's so strange, no matter which store I go into it's as described here, dirty, couldn't-care-less staff, and out of stock. And don't get me started on those frickin "Unexpected item in bagging area" tills. IT'S A BAG! that's why it's in the BAGGING area!

The error is because it's expecting a BAGGING and all you're supplying is a BAG. A bagging is an archaic english device much popular with Tesco.

Now I must get my coat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

tbh wrote: »
    you're right - it's too widespread for me not to believe that it's actual policy for tescos.

Managers in any supermarket chain, not just Tesco are mainly concerned with the bottom line. Unfortunate as it is the truth is that their stores make money on selling and reducing waste and that's what they have most of their staff trying to do. It's not policy as I expect they're audited regularly alongside regular EHO inspections.

It all depends on the individual store, for example my local Superquinn is a dump whereas the one in Blanchardstown is great. Maybe because Tesco is so prolific people just think it's worse than others, it's not in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭compsys

AmcD wrote: »
    I enjoy shopping in the Clearwater Tesco. Every week I get something for free due to their sloppy overpricing. To save time I now bring the pricetags up to customer service desk. Sometimes I think I might get banned at some stage.
    I do my fruit and veg shopping in Lidl now because it is cheaper and better quality.

Lol. I'm the same. Remember guys, Tesco have a 'no quibbles' pricing guarantee. If they over charge you at the check-out then the agree to refund you the TOTAL value of the product. I've received Actimels, chicken fillets, premium orange juice and much more for free over the past few weeks because of their bad pricing. It's great. It's one of the few reason I still shop there! Most Irish people just don't take the time to check what they're paying for things.

Have to agree though, Tesco storess are often filthy and badly stocked. The Nutgrove one is a total joke. And whoever says it's only because they're a 'low-cost' store and is therefore to be expected is seriously deluded. Tesco is now more expensive than Dunnes for most products and often more expensive than Superquinn as well. Just read the thread 'Tesco Price Increases'.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Yeah i think it depends on the store, Mullingar one can be grotty, yet Tullamore looks spotless, now i know the Tullamore one is a lot newer but even so, as for the cleanliness of the stores, you should see the warehouses that the stuff comes from, especially there chiller and frozen area,s, I'll leave that to your imagination ??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

All retail /consumer behaviour research studies state that a dirty supermarket is an empty supermarket..the worst mistake a supermarket can make is have its checkout counter worn and dirty- it's the last memory the shopper has of the store..even staffing and service ranks behind this one small point..people just don't buy food that they will eventually eat, in a dirty supermarket..a clean supermarket in itself, doesn't necessarily attract people in, but a dirty one keeps many away. ..their loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭macfran

[ (Irn Bru, for instance). But I can walk past nearly a solid wall of Coke bottles.[/QUOTE]

That is what I hate about that store so if there are a few people there we are all corralded into narrow aisles around fruit and veg and meat and ready meals and the congestion on a Saturday can be crazy while the rest of the store is almost empty.

Was there onle to spend coupons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

compsys wrote: »
    Lol. I'm the same. Remember guys, Tesco have a 'no quibbles' pricing guarantee. If they over charge you at the check-out then the agree to refund you the TOTAL value of the product. I've received Actimels, chicken fillets, premium orange juice and much more for free over the past few weeks because of their bad pricing. It's great. It's one of the few reason I still shop there! Most Irish people just don't take the time to check what they're paying for things.

Have to agree though, Tesco storess are often filthy and badly stocked. The Nutgrove one is a total joke. And whoever says it's only because they're a 'low-cost' store and is therefore to be expected is seriously deluded. Tesco is now more expensive than Dunnes for most products and often more expensive than Superquinn as well. Just read the thread 'Tesco Price Increases'.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for 'bargains' when im shopping in nuttygrove from now on :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Have to add to the criticism of Tesco Ballyfermot - yuk! And it's not just the crappy appearance of the store, but there are never more than 3 tills open at once, and as said, the staff are more interested in yapping to each other than doing their job. The Tesco store in Clondalkin is cleaner but suffers the same checkout problems; there is never an express till open and I guess they don't trust us enough to have the self checkouts. So I end up either going to Superquinn Lucan (long past its glory days) or for a big shop, Tesco Maynooth, which I have to say I find clean, even if they don't have much more variety than much smaller stores.

Tesco Naas should be razed to the ground - horrible, and there's a grand Tesco a few miles away in Newbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

Tesco in Clearwater must have the rudest staff on record, I heard one young female staff member tell an eastern European wonam to fvck off when asked how come they were out of diet coke again.....
    And Prussia Street is manky dirty!
    Second thumbs up for M&S Simply Foods in IFSC, go there at least 3 times a week, friendly staff, lovely food and spotless store!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

schween wrote: »
    I agree Tesco stores are filthy!
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

Today went to tesco main st drogheda, , 2 poster special offer on wine chemin du pape reduced from 15.99 to 5.00 checked twice to make sure bottle wwas same as on poster, went to price checker machine , hanging off wall , helpfully informed by cletus(the slack jawed yokel)" it's not working , it's broken"went to till , checkout girl duly charges me 15.99 , pointed out to her it's 5.00 , big sigh eyes up, storms off to find manager, after a few min the part time assistant trainee manager arrives looks at bottle says" that's a fiver yeah" when I pointed out to her tesco no quibble policy she say" ye never handed over the money so it dosn't count" even the rest of q burst out laughing at this stage,
    Shop reminded me of east germany in 80's , same staff attitude , and run down, unkempt store ,
    Remind me again why I shoudn't shop in Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

JennyAnt wrote: »
    And Prussia Street is manky dirty!

Yep, they had a rat problem last year. Can't remember which month it was, but it made the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mick.fr wrote: »
    I am amazed at the level of dirtyness, perpetual lack of stocks, wrong prices etc at Tesco stores. And in fairness this is not the only chain that has this kind of problem in Ireland.
    I have seen Tesco in the UK (Mainland) that were a lot more clean with profusion of products, never went out.

Here every now and then they run out of common products, many products are out of stock etc...

I have been shopping for years in different Dublin areas, this is always the same story.

Pretty shameful isn't? It is not difficult to achieve a minimal of stock control and cleaning, floors at Tesco are a disgrace. Any time of the day, looks like they never clean it.

Anyone agrees with me or is it myself only taking notice of this disgrace?

/rant

:D

the one in finglas and one in lucan are like that, the maynooth one is spotless

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

They're too busy working on world domination to be concerned of the cleanliness of their stores.

"Tesco's slogan changed from every little helps to we control every aspect of your lives."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The dirtiest supermarket I've seen lately was superquinn in finglas ,which suprised me at the time.
    Cleanest one I've seen lately was marks and spencers in blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

zen15 wrote: »
    Today went to tesco main st drogheda, , 2 poster special offer on wine chemin du pape reduced from 15.99 to 5.00 checked twice to make sure bottle wwas same as on poster, went to price checker machine , hanging off wall , helpfully informed by cletus(the slack jawed yokel)" it's not working , it's broken"went to till , checkout girl duly charges me 15.99 , pointed out to her it's 5.00 , big sigh eyes up, storms off to find manager, after a few min the part time assistant trainee manager arrives looks at bottle says" that's a fiver yeah" when I pointed out to her tesco no quibble policy she say" ye never handed over the money so it dosn't count" even the rest of q burst out laughing at this stage,
    Shop reminded me of east germany in 80's , same staff attitude , and run down, unkempt store ,
    Remind me again why I shoudn't shop in Newry

This place is a kip of the highest order, saying its filthy would be a compliment, i dont normally complain about all staff in a shop but the ones in that place are borderline nasty - probably down to the surroundings. They are much friendlier in the new one on the donore rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Toots85 wrote: »
    The Nutgrove one ..................disgrace.

Totally agree. Has been for years. Dirty, poorly stocked, very few tills open, aisles blocked by shelf packers.

Having said that, IMO the entire Nutgrove Shopping Centre is gone to hell. Loads of long-term empty units. Dundrum must be totally killing it.

Advertisement