Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing a conviction

Options
  • 17-02-2009 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Years ago when I was young and stupid I got into trouble with with alcohol and as a result with the Gardaí. I was arrested for trespass and a few months later was arrested for stealing. I appeared in court and was fined for both offences. I had many meetings with the probation officer who fully recommended to the court that the charges be struck out and that I be given another chance. This however did not happen. Now I'm changed, with a good job etc, and not a shadow of my former self, having not drunk now for years.
    It has however recently come to my attention that I may not have been treated fairly by the courts, and even my own (state appointed) solicitor regarding the full proper course of the law specifically in relation to appealing sentences.
    I know its no excuse for my past but I at least would have wanted to have gone through the justuce system properly.
    Is there any time limit to submitting an appeal, with all the documents and papers at my original hearing, which was 6 years ago?
    Any advice or previous experience with appeals would be greatful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Try the legal discussion forum, you would get a better answer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved, though I've no idea if this is suitable for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

There is the 1993 criminal procedure act, section 2. You also might inquire into a pardon. If it is for anything other than a visa then that conviction might be expunged by now and spent.

Advertisement