Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Day in Sligo

Options
  • 17-02-2009 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I'm hoping to take advantage of the aerarann sale and fly up to Sligo for a day. I just wondered what would peoples opinions be of what there is to see/would be the best things to see, in one day? E.g. I hope to get the flight that arrives about 8:25am and then leave on the 18:15 flight back to Dublin, so can anyone give me a rough guide of how to break down the day?
    Much appreciated!
    Caz:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

in no particular order......

Climb knocknarea( its close to the airport in strandhill and the view is class)
    Have a pint in Shoots
    eat chicken wings from the venue(also in strandhill)
    have a surf lesson
    check out the yeats gallery/museum
    walk the beach at streedagh(bit out of town but well worth it)
    have a pint in furies
    check out the court house(only courthouse in the world with a chimney apparently)
    have a pint in McGarigles

Thts all i have for you at the moment, hope ya have a nice time and call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

+1 for streedagh

dont know what you like but eagels flying is nice too. And I'm not a bird persoon at all!

http://www.eaglesflying.com/

but the beaches around here are very pretty indeed.

knocknarea is well worth the climb. on a clear day it is really beautifull.

Strandhill (where you land anyway) is a nice place aswell. nice pubs and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'd visit Carrowmore and take the tour - it's very informative and interesting.

+1 for strandhill as well, it's got a lovely beach and Bella Vista Pizza... *droool*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Xiney wrote: »
    I'd visit Carrowmore and take the tour - it's very informative and interesting.

+1 for strandhill as well, it's got a lovely beach and Bella Vista Pizza... *droool*

Pizza's are only served there in the evenings now so he's/she's buggered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I imagine that you would not want to spend all your money on Taxi fares so a lot is out of the question, also most pubs dont open till after 4pm at least so a few pints is out the window. You could have a very nice day around strandhill itself and not go near sligo town.
    + 1 for a surf lesson, then lunch in the Strand and a few pints before the short flight home.

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote: »
    Pizza's are only served there in the evenings now so he's/she's buggered!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I would suggest getting the bus into town (or taxi - its only a few km), breakfast in Pepper Alley or BBs (any other suggestions for breakfast??) by the river, a browse in the Booknest, visit the Yeats Building, wander round the shops, a drink in the Glasshouse, bus back to Strandhill, pub grub in the Strand, long walk on the beach, then walk back down to the Airport.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy your day!

Edit: If you were to hire a car for the day - this would change completely - let us know if you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'd recommend staying in Strandhill,although without a game of golf or something there isn't actually that much to do in the village to last a full 10 hours almost.
    Get the bus into town,its far cheaper than a taxi and get lunch in there,look around the shops if your into that kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Woo! Thanks for all the ideas guys! :)
    FWIW I'm a girl, I don't drive and I'll be going alone, so I'll be relying on the bus etc.
    Is the strand very close to the airport? e.g. if I go to the town in the morning and then go back to the strand/knocknarea in the afternoon, is it easy to get to the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The airport is a few minutes walk from Strandhill Village, The Knocknarea approach is nearly as far from Strandhill as Sligo.

• Advertisement

Aaaah okie dokie, so is knocknarea only really accessible by car then?

if you only have a day, I wouldn't do knocknarea - it's more of a thing to do if you've three days in the region

plus, you KNOW if you plan to do climb a mountain, it will be lashing rain.

I'd seriously consider a surfing lesson! You won't feel the cold in the wetsuit and it's a good use of a day :)

the beach is really nice in strand hill and there is seaweed baths and stuff. I think the strand bar is open early enough but I'm not sure. the town is not that far away either (by car 10 minutes orso) dont know about the bus.

Knocknarea is a bit out of the way and would indeed be beter if your here for a couple of days like xiney said.

Cool thanks guys, I'll just admire knocknarea from afar so! :)
    Just a matter of choosing a day and getting the flights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oooh yes the Seaweed Baths!

Right so. Get bus from Airport to town first thing.
    Timetable here: http://www.buseireann.ie/downloads/printed-timetables/city-town/sligo-city-services/472.pdf

Breakfast and shopping/culture.

Lunch in The Glasshouse (Grand on your own)
    Link here: http://www.theglasshouse.ie/home.html

Get bus back to Strandhill after lunch. Bus Stop is beside the Hotel.

Walk on Beach.

Seaweed Baths.
    Link here: http://www.voya.ie/bathing.aspx

Walk back to Airport.

Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Cazlou wrote: »
    Woo! Thanks for all the ideas guys! :)
    FWIW I'm a girl, I don't drive and I'll be going alone, so I'll be relying on the bus etc.
    Is the strand very close to the airport? e.g. if I go to the town in the morning and then go back to the strand/knocknarea in the afternoon, is it easy to get to the airport?

Never mind all of that guff about beaches, pubs and baths full of sea shrubs, i got yer day sorted!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtoyLPROLZI

a girl, who doesn drive and on her own in a strange place...................must resist urges........

[note to self]: do NOT tell anyone when I intend to go.....:p[/note]

oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Parkes castle out on the dromahair road (r286) is another thing to see if your into that kind of thing with a nice view of lough gill.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Parkes castle out on the dromahair road (r286) is another thing to see if your into that kind of thing with a nice view of lough gill.

is closed till march:( it's a beautifull view over lough gill in the morning sun though! yep drive past it almost every day!

where are our manners?? We should make it a boards breakfast/day out!!!:D You can do the seaweed baths on your own though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

We should make it a boards breakfast/day out!!!:D You can do the seaweed baths on your own though!!

Such a good thought:D

is closed till march:( it's a beautifull view over lough gill in the morning sun though! yep drive past it almost every day!

where are our manners?? We should make it a boards breakfast/day out!!!:D You can do the seaweed baths on your own though!!
    bobcar61 wrote: »
    Such a good thought:D

+1 :)
    aren't boardsies great!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Whoops didnt know that still enjoy the drive out along lough gill on a nice sunny day and passing the castle.

Sounds good! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Oooh yes the Seaweed Baths!

Right so. Get bus from Airport to town first thing.
    Timetable here: http://www.buseireann.ie/downloads/printed-timetables/city-town/sligo-city-services/472.pdf

Breakfast and shopping/culture.

Lunch in The Glasshouse (Grand on your own)
    Link here: http://www.theglasshouse.ie/home.html

Get bus back to Strandhill after lunch. Bus Stop is beside the Hotel.

Walk on Beach.

Seaweed Baths.
    Link here: http://www.voya.ie/bathing.aspx

Walk back to Airport.

Bliss.

Someone likes Strandhill a bit too much!!

Have to agree though - the seaweed baths are indeed quite blissful. ;)

Cazlou wrote: »
    +1 :)
    aren't boardsies great!!!!:D

so when are you ariving?? me and mrs T are up for it. depends what day and time ofcourse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Bus service to and from Strandhill:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202387906-472.pdf

The stop at the Ulster bank is right in the middle of town.
    The glasshouse is right beside you.

Please note that the Car Park that the bus picks up from is about 7-10 minute walk from the airport.
    When your heading back to strandhill by bus just ask the driver when you board if he'll drop you down to the airport if you intend on going straight there!

When your going past the office buildings (Enterprise & Technology centre) wave and I might wave back!:D

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭glezo

ya but saying all that is ok if someone was with you like surfing lesson climbling knocknarea etc...
    from a womans point of view def.. take the bus into sligo town, and check out the clothes shops..

quayside shopping centre on the way from the bus station 5 min walk is gud you have river island, jane norman, TK MAXX, pull and bear, oasis, next, and serval other class shops in their,
    next go through the carpark and pennys are their gud offers but bit messy :eek:
    johnsons court the next shopping centre in the area of the carkpark
    they have clairs ass, zavie, vila, tommy hilfidger, not a whole pile but the jean scean is def.. a shop to vist while in their

should be time for lunch at this stage walk to the end of johnson court and now your on o' connell st...
    go into cafe fleur absolety fantasic food and very resable price ( so sorry for all the wrong spelling :rolleyes:)

after their you have many many more great shops around
    the town is not the big so you wont get lost dont worry and you be safe

need any more info just let me know

enjoy your time !!!!!

glezo wrote: »
    from a womans point of view def.. take the bus into sligo town, and check out the clothes shops..

Take that suffrage liberation and women's rights! :rolleyes:

(From a purely logical point of view, Sligo is hardly worth shopping in coming from Dublin)

• Advertisement

glezo wrote: »
    ( so sorry for all the wrong spelling :rolleyes:

it's ok. You're a girl. You don't need to read so gud.

Advertisement