Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for fans of smaller clubs

• 17-02-2009 4:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Do you ever get sick of people asking you why you support "a useless football team"? I mean, granted, the people asking the question don't have an obvious braincell between their ears, and are probably a bandwagoner supporter of United (like most of their followers), but do you ever feel like just punching their f*cking silly faces in? Or telling them that they don't have to follow their daddy in everything they do?!!!

I'm a Forest supporter, very proud to be so, wouldn't change it for anything, but yet every week, in football conversation i get these neanderthals coming up telling me ''to follow a decent team'' - :rolleyes: (I could play the 'Been to Europe, won the cup twice' card, but i don't). I'm supporting Forest since i was seven, a time when they were ''a decent team'', one of the top four in the country under God (Brian Clough to you), when Keane was at his peak (a better all rounder at Forest than he ever was at United) and when Forest supporters were more numerous in this country. So why should i change just because they've fallen on hard times? I mean, if your dog gets rolled over, and develops a limp, does that mean you'll love him any less? Of course you don't, and the same should apply to your football team, if you're a true supporter.

In a perverse way, i'm glad that Forest did not develop into the big club they could have been, our decline in recent years has made me appreciate the more simple things in football - like a goal or three points, something i think ''supporters'' of the big clubs are somewhat immune to.

So to Fulham fan i met in the cineman last week, good on you! To the Boro supporters that live across the road from me, its nice to see something different. To all the Leeds fans i've met, in the last few weeks (most of the Cork taxi drivers it seems!), good on you for stickin with them. If success comes, it will be all the sweeter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dont think ive ever met anyone that has changed wat team they support
    ive yet to meet des tho! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

My dog had a bad limp after falling over, he had to be put down. Kinda like forest going down. My dog wont be coming back though, kinda like forest too.

I miss that dog.

EDIT: yes i don't like those type of fans you describe. Grrr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

CHD wrote: »
    My dog had a bad limp after falling over, he had to be put down. Kinda like forest going down. My dog wont be coming back though, kinda like forest too.

Supported Forest before Abramovich came along did you?!?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

used to get loads of stick for following villa, whos laughing now!!

Supported Forest before Abramovich came along did you?!?;)
    Nope, Forest reminded of my dog who i had cruelly taken away from me last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

People who ask why you support a team and tell you to support a "Decent" team have no idea what supporting a football team is all about.

I have far more respect for the Bray Wanderers fan who supports them because that is where he is from than I do the Chelsea fan who has supported them since Duff signed for them.

Granted, a lot of Manuarsepoolsea fans have been supporting them for a long time, but none of those fans have seen relegation, adversity, or the joys of Oxford United away on a cold wet Tuesday night. I actually think it must be quite boring supporting a team and thinking the hard times are watching your captain slip whilst taking a penalty kick in a final, or seeing your best primadonna player openly tout another european giant. I'm so glad I support who I do.

I was at bray wanderers -v- blackburn the day after duff signed for chelsea, enjoyed wearing my chelsea jersey that day. I wasnt popular. My dog was with me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

People who ask why you support a team and tell you to support a "Decent" team have no idea what supporting a football team is all about.

I have far more respect for the Bray Wanderers fan who supports them because that is where he is from than I do the Chelsea fan who has supported them since Duff signed for them.

Granted, a lot of Manuarsepoolsea fans have been supporting them for a long time, but none of those fans have seen relegation, adversity, or the joys of Oxford United away on a cold wet Tuesday night. I actually think it must be quite boring supporting a team and thinking the hard times are watching your captain slip whilst taking a penalty kick in a final, or seeing your best primadonna player openly tout another european giant. I'm so glad I support who I do.
    Chelseas fans have seen relegation if they have followed the club for long enough, they were out of the top division for a good part of the eighties.

And as far as who you support, anybody who supports Liverpool could not be seen as glory hunters, they have not won a Premier League, ok they did win the Champions League in the recent past but there has been a long baron spell.

I support a smaller club myself. I don't mind those who cannot understand my support for a smaller club, let them off. I'd say when the smaller club wins something its a lot more enjoyable for their fans that it is for the fans of the big four, who invariably are just looking at whats next rather than savouring the delight of the win for a couple of months, even years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

You mock bandwagoner supporters but then go on to say "I'm supporting Forest since i was seven, a time when they were ''a decent team'', one of the top four in the country under God (Brian Clough to you), when Keane was at his peak (a better all rounder at Forest than he ever was at United) and when Forest supporters were more numerous in this country.". Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All I can really say on this is 'City til I die'.

I've put up with shit for the best part of 20 years so it's water off a duck's back at this stage. The mid to late 90s relegations were very testing times for my faith, especially during school time but I could never change my alliegences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Probably should have asked this question in the Everton thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I got a pretty good deal (In ways) for supporting Wimbledon back in the days.
    Now I have 2 teams, AFC Wimbledon - Top of the Blue Square South Division
    and MK Dons, lying 2nd in League 1.
    Been very tough times over the last few years but I've never been more happy than the Dons winning the Johnston Paint Trophy, followed by becoming League 2 Champions.
    Most people just look at me with a very strange face when I tell them who I support.
    Strange as in " Who the F**K are they"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Thats it, Ive heard it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

grenache wrote: »
    are probably a bandwagoner supporter of United (like most of their followers), but do you ever feel like just punching their f*cking silly faces in?
    I'm supporting Forest since i was seven, a time when they were ''a decent team'', one of the top four in the country under God (Brian Clough to you), when Keane was at his peak (a better all rounder at Forest than he ever was at United) and when Forest supporters were more numerous in this country.

Those quotes there above make you a hypocrite son.

So what do you want then? A medal because you support a team that haven't won a trophy in while and have been to the second division? I don't know why you think you're any better than Man U or Liverpool fans, you're not and to be honest i've more respect for them because they don't go round expecting a pat on the back for supporting the team they do.

Before you get uppity, i don't support British football, i support a team who won't play in big European compitition and won't win a thing again for the forseeable future and when i started supporting them they weren't a big team but i don't want a pat on the back for it, no, sure even if i did i don't think you could spare a hand with all the back patting you're doing for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Do you ever get sick of people asking you why you support "a useless football team"? I mean, granted, the people asking the question don't have an obvious braincell between their ears, and are probably a bandwagoner supporter of United (like most of their followers), but do you ever feel like just punching their f*cking silly faces in? Or telling them that they don't have to follow their daddy in everything they do?!!!

I'm a Forest supporter, very proud to be so, wouldn't change it for anything, but yet every week, in football conversation i get these neanderthals coming up telling me ''to follow a decent team'' - :rolleyes: (I could play the 'Been to Europe, won the cup twice' card, but i don't). I'm supporting Forest since i was seven, a time when they were ''a decent team'', one of the top four in the country under God (Brian Clough to you), when Keane was at his peak (a better all rounder at Forest than he ever was at United) and when Forest supporters were more numerous in this country. So why should i change just because they've fallen on hard times? I mean, if your dog gets rolled over, and develops a limp, does that mean you'll love him any less? Of course you don't, and the same should apply to your football team, if you're a true supporter.

pot calling ...............

Get off your high horse , The fact that fans follow a **** team does not in anyway make them a better fans. Christ only if you suffered can you be a real fan WHAT CRAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    All I can really say on this is 'City til I die'.

I've put up with shit for the best part of 20 years so it's water off a duck's back at this stage. The mid to late 90s relegations were very testing times for my faith, especially during school time but I could never change my alliegences.

while the relegations must have been hard - you did have those awesome Kappa kits... must have softened the blow a little i feel.

Been very tough times over the last few years but I've never been more happy than the Dons winning the Johnston Paint Trophy, followed by becoming League 2 Champions.
    Most people just look at me with a very strange face when I tell them who I support.
    Strange as in " Who the F**K are they"

Did many Wimbledon supports continue to follow MK Dons after the move and name change? I was under the impression that to most supporters Wimbledon died on the back of those changes, and then there was the symbolic handing over of the trophies from MK Dons to AFC Wimbledon.

while the relegations must have been hard - you did have those awesome Kappa kits... must have softened the blow a little i feel.

Lol believe it or not most City fans hate those jerseys, particularly the home one as it was laser blue as opposed to sky blue.

Personally I loved them

Lol believe it or not most City fans hate those jerseys, particularly the home one as it was laser blue as opposed to sky blue.

Personally I loved them

I will not believe it - those kits were awesome!! Plus without nthe relegations we would not have got the Gillingham playoff final. Even as a United supporter that was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I don't get it. I do understand the motivation in getting away from the 'glamour' clubs. But if you take the 'real supporter' argument and reject what you term a bandwagon club, then why would you not choose an Irish team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Did many Wimbledon supports continue to follow MK Dons after the move and name change? I was under the impression that to most supporters Wimbledon died on the back of those changes, and then there was the symbolic handing over of the trophies from MK Dons to AFC Wimbledon.

Most of the supporters in the wimbledon area never followed on with Mk Dons, because they are the ones who set up AFC Wimbledon.
    Anyone who supported them from affar, like myself, generally would still support MK Dons.

Thats how it has come across to me anyway.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Chelseas fans have seen relegation if they have followed the club for long enough, they were out of the top division for a good part of the eighties.
    true and to be fair, most chelsea fans I know went through that withthem. I have also met Chelsea fans who have no idea they were relegated. I also met one who knew they used to play in the first division, but he "didn't support them then" :D
    And as far as who you support, anybody who supports Liverpool could not be seen as glory hunters, they have not won a Premier League, ok they did win the Champions League in the recent past but there has been a long baron spell.
    I'm not sure. i guess it depends on how old you are. They are a massive club with a very full trophy cabinet though.
    I support a smaller club myself. I don't mind those who cannot understand my support for a smaller club, let them off. I'd say when the smaller club wins something its a lot more enjoyable for their fans that it is for the fans of the big four, who invariably are just looking at whats next rather than savouring the delight of the win for a couple of months, even years.
    That's exactly how i view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Its the same stuff over and over again.

I'm not gonna delve into it too much, cas i said this at least twice on here before, but since I've started going to Bohemian FC games I have developed a sense of "support" which I never got while following Manchester United. I always will love United and will always call myself a supporter of the club, but it does feel like a more natural and somewhat humane feeling at Dalymount. The same feeling I got when i was younger with my local GAA club. A team from my area, in the country I was born, pay tax in and reside in. Plus €1.60 on the 38a is way cheaper than any Ryanair deal to Liverpool or Manchester!

Some people dont have that luxury to be so close to a club, and then there are others that dont feel entertained enough by LOI or any other so called lower standard football. I dont see any problem in people showing an interest in bigger clubs, in fact I think its great. I just wish there was more support for the lesser clubs especially ones closer to people geographically. After all the majority of us shout for our country when its ole ole trapatoni time.

I didnt mean to intentionally turn this into a LOI/other league debate, but the fact resides is that this does not happen in other countries to the degree it does here. Purely because of GAA, the level of football and support of LOI as a result, a large majority of our fathers/uncles/siblings living or lived in the UK... and thus from all those points is why the LOI is not as popular or at a greater standard than other leagues.

Personally I think it would be great if everyone who supported an English team also had an Irish one. That's why Friday night and summer football was created over here - so that it doesn't clash with the Premiership, giving fans the opportunity to do both.

I would consider myself equally a City and a Shels fan and like the happy balance between the two.

Personally I think it would be great if everyone who supported an English team also had an Irish one. That's why Friday night and summer football was created over here - so that it doesn't clash with the Premiership, giving fans the opportunity to do both.

I would consider myself equally a City and a Shels fan and like the happy balance between the two.

Me too, well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Personally I think it would be great if everyone who supported an English team also had an Irish one.

That would be something to cheer, all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Personally speaking, I far preffered supporting Chelsea when we were fighting for a Champion's League place every year rather than being expected to finish in the top two and the semi finals in Europe. It's not really that fun. There are no big scalps anymore and any time you win it's just seen as expected. Same with Juve. They were boring to support until they got relegated and then the fun came back. I don't see the enjoyment of being a Man Utd fan for the past 12 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I far preffered supporting Chelsea when we were fighting for a Champion's League place every year rather than being expected to finish in the top two and the semi finals in Europe. It's not really that fun. There are no big scalps anymore and any time you win it's just seen as expected. Same with Juve. They were boring to support until they got relegated and then the fun came back. I don't see the enjoyment of being a Man Utd fan for the past 12 years

It make the 20 years before that ,worth it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have also met Chelsea fans who have no idea they were relegated. I also met one who knew they used to play in the first division, but he "didn't support them then" :D

I moved to Ireland 27 years ago and I had never met (or heard of) a Chelsea fan (or even spotted a shirt) until the current era. And that includes my age group and older(i/.e fathers, older brothers etc). And that includes 15 years of EPL barstooling in Dublin.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I moved to Ireland 27 years ago and I had never met (or heard of) a Chelsea fan (or even spotted a shirt) until the current era. And that includes my age group and older(i/.e fathers, older brothers etc). And that includes 15 years of EPL barstooling in Dublin.

Had 3 in my class growing up in the 80s. Well 2 actually, one was an older brother of the lads. But yeah they've grown significantly the last decade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ive always liked international teams and never really got the whole premier league thing but i can relate i can remmeber about 17 years ago in juniour school i was
    "Who do you support - Man-u or liverpool"

now i laughed but noone else got the joke. i tried to explain to them that it was funny that the question only involved two of the cooler teams but they could not understand what was funny about it.

is this the same immature people/morons who cant understand why you support less popular teams?

i know they where kids but thats not an excuse for not having unique thoughts.... Is it still the same? i mean in the place where i work there seem to be 3 club camps of aston villa, arsnel and i cant remember the 3rd but from what i gather if you are not "into" a large/popular team you are partially excluded from conversation so people will follow a big team just to have freinds and people to talk to or because as you pointed out daddy likes that team.

I spent the greater part of my life living in Maidenhead (Between Reading and Slough). the local teams were either Wycombe (Who were non league during my teens) or Readng. other than that the nearest "big" club was Chelsea, less than an hour away by train and tube.

Maidenhead United are enjoying a bit of success at the moment so maybe they will pinch a few fans off Chelsea:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

CiaranC wrote: »
    Thats it, Ive heard it all now.

they just arent as good as you.
    they say the dutch are total football, but we know they are wrong.. its ciaranc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Trilla wrote: »
    Its the same stuff over and over again.

I'm not gonna delve into it too much, cas i said this at least twice on here before, but since I've started going to Bohemian FC games I have developed a sense of "support" which I never got while following Manchester United. I always will love United and will always call myself a supporter of the club, but it does feel like a more natural and somewhat humane feeling at Dalymount. The same feeling I got when i was younger with my local GAA club. A team from my area, in the country I was born, pay tax in and reside in. Plus €1.60 on the 38a is way cheaper than any Ryanair deal to Liverpool or Manchester!

Some people dont have that luxury to be so close to a club, and then there are others that dont feel entertained enough by LOI or any other so called lower standard football. I dont see any problem in people showing an interest in bigger clubs, in fact I think its great. I just wish there was more support for the lesser clubs especially ones closer to people geographically. After all the majority of us shout for our country when its ole ole trapatoni time.

I didnt mean to intentionally turn this into a LOI/other league debate, but the fact resides is that this does not happen in other countries to the degree it does here. Purely because of GAA, the level of football and support of LOI as a result, a large majority of our fathers/uncles/siblings living or lived in the UK... and thus from all those points is why the LOI is not as popular or at a greater standard than other leagues.

The next time another interminable debate arises over the virtues of LOI or PL football in comparison to the other I'm going to point people in the direction of this post. It's no attempt at oneupmanship, no attempt at football snobbery, no attempt at a put down, just an honest opinion expressed with respect for the opposing viewpoint, and I applaud it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Bubs101 wrote: »

Baffling post. So you support Chelsea but them being awesome and challenging for everything is boring? Surely these are(were?) your glory years?
    Lap it up because it'll hardly get much better.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Baffling post. So you support Chelsea but them being awesome and challenging for everything is boring? Surely these are(were?) your glory years?

Last season Chelsea missed out on the PL title and the champions league by a nats cock and the manager got sacked. that to me means that success is the norm and everything else is failure.

what is there to get excited about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

:confused:
    Bit like supporting Celtic and Rangers!?

I wouldnt wear your MK shirt to a Wimbledon game if i was U!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Last season Chelsea missed out on the PL title and the champions league by a nats cock and the manager got sacked. that to me means that success is the norm and everything else is failure.

what is there to get excited about??

Jeez I dunno, ask some ManU fans.

Is it the journey or the destination?

The next time another interminable debate arises over the virtues of LOI or PL football in comparison to the other I'm going to point people in the direction of this post. It's no attempt at oneupmanship, no attempt at football snobbery, no attempt at a put down, just an honest opinion expressed with respect for the opposing viewpoint, and I applaud it.

ETOA for Trilla @ Bitterness Central (via FAI Burnout Central) 3-5 years. :pac:

Jeez I dunno, ask some ManU fans.

Is it the journey or the destination?

It's the roller coaster ride. The tought times make you appreciate the good times more.

I've supported Pompey for over 30 years (I started young :o) and with very few exceptions, every season has been being relegated, battling relegation, challenging for promotion, being promoted, nearly going bankrupt or winning the FA cup.

It has been ****ing brilliant. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks man, but I think theres a few on here that share my point of view

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It's the roller coaster ride. The tought times make you appreciate the good times more.

I've supported Pompey for over 30 years (I started young :o) and with very few exceptions, every season has been being relegated, battling relegation, challenging for promotion, being promoted, nearly going bankrupt or winning the FA cup.

It has been ****ing brilliant. :D

Same as a Leeds fan, never a dull moment. They have ruined so many weekends for me but also given me plenty of happy times. I would love if we were winning cups etc but that just wouldn't be Leeds. We are all about the drama, the ups and downs, and I love every minute of it.

I just couldn't fathom supporting a team that coming second in the League is counted as failure. There are no great highs, only lows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I support United. My dad started supporting them in 73 (you might remember that as the year we were relegated). I''ve supported them all my life and if we get relegated again, I'll continue to support them.

Giving out about fans of teams who are successful is just as bad as those fans asking you 'why you support a crap team'. You're both an ignorant bunch of f**kers.

I did follow my dad. Why shouldn't I? It was a United house and I was brought up on United (watching videos etc.). If your father wasn't around or wouldn't let you support your team don't take it out on others please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

If your a fan of say West Ham or Bolton for instance then every saturday your match means something. You have a good chance of winning and losing. There's more excitement.. If you're a fan of a top team then every match bar 10 are considered should wins, most Match of the Days are boring and monotonous and there's never any satisfaction with beating these teams. The big matches are hyped beyond belief that it becomes absolutely ridiculous and rational fans take a step back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Jazzy wrote: »
    they just arent as good as you.
    they say the dutch are total football, but we know they are wrong.. its ciaranc

Let us leave the personal comments outside of the forum please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

K4t wrote: »
    I support United. My dad started supporting them in 73 (you might remember that as the year we were relegated). I''ve supported them all my life and if we get relegated again, I'll continue to support them.

Giving out about fans of teams who are successful is just as bad as those fans asking you 'why you support a crap team'. You're both an ignorant bunch of f**kers.

I did follow my dad. Why shouldn't I? It was a United house and I was brought up on United (watching videos etc.). If your father wasn't around or wouldn't let you support your team don't take it out on others please.

Was actually gonna post something similar to this because I dont understand the one upmanship that goes on with who supports who. Most people would have chosen the team they support when they were young and as such would have been strongly influenced by their friends/family or whoever was successful at the time.

I started supporting United when I was six because my uncle, who's a big United fan, bought me the kit. If I was to claim now that I supported them because of their history and tradition would be a bit ridiculous and most of the people I know who support less successful teams claim they just wanted to be different. To get high and mighty about it now is plain stupid

Idu wrote: »
    If I was to claim now that I supported them because of their history and tradition would be a bit ridiculous and most of the people I know who support less successful teams claim they just wanted to be different. To get high and mighty about it now is plain stupid

In fairness though, it's a bit of a coincidence that the massive majority of people in Ireland just happen to support the two most successful teams of the last 30 years. That's a lot of uncles and fathers buying a lot of children jerseys. :D

Most kids will gravitate towards the big teams in the absence of an adult influencing them.

Not knocking your support here, just that the most successful teams of the era tend to draw young supporters if nobody else is influencing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Im a Milan supporter and it came up in a conversation with two lads in the local before, when i replied i support Milan i was met with why do you support a foreign team. i said out of interest who do you support

Liverpool was the answer

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

In fairness though, it's a bit of a coincidence that the massive majority of people in Ireland just happen to support the two most successful teams of the last 30 years. That's a lot of uncles and fathers buying a lot of children jerseys. :D

Most kids will gravitate towards the big teams in the absence of an adult influencing them.

Not knocking your support here, just that the most successful teams of the era tend to draw young supporters if nobody else is influencing them.

Totally agree with you. The uncle thing was just my experience. My point was at that age obviously kids will be influenced by who's the most successful. Most kids just want to fit in at that stage and obviously they're going to go with whoever the most popular team around is

Im sure back in the eighties this argument was going on between Liverpool and United fans but just in reverse

Idu wrote: »
    Totally agree with you. The uncle thing was just my experience. My point was at that age obviously kids will be influenced by who's the most successful. Most kids just want to fit in at that stage and obviously they're going to go with whoever the most popular team around is

I brought my young nephews back Boca Juniors kits from Buenos Aries a few years ago. They were being polite but you could tell they probably wouldn't wear them as they looked a bit crestfallen. They're big United fans and were just that bit too young to wear a shirt that the other kids wouldn't know. Sure they'd love them now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement