Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question for fans of smaller clubs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

stovelid wrote: »
    ETOA for Trilla @ Bitterness Central (via FAI Burnout Central) 3-5 years. :pac:

As someone else asked, is it the journey or the destination? :pac:

Trilla does a great job of reassuring some very insecure people that no one is out to get them, and for that he should be applauded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If your a fan of say West Ham or Bolton for instance then every saturday your match means something. You have a good chance of winning and losing. There's more excitement.. If you're a fan of a top team then every match bar 10 are considered should wins, most Match of the Days are boring and monotonous and there's never any satisfaction with beating these teams. The big matches are hyped beyond belief that it becomes absolutely ridiculous and rational fans take a step back

Of course.

tbh most Irish fans only bother watching top 4 clashes and local derbys. I back Liverpool but I cant be arsed drinking 40 euro of pints to watch them in a start of season clash with Boro, Ive other things to do on Saturday. Whereas for Ireland I would try and get to a tv for a friendly against Malta.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

grenache wrote: »
    To all the Leeds fans i've met, in the last few weeks (most of the Cork taxi drivers it seems!), good on you for stickin with them. If success comes, it will be all the sweeter.

Dear grenache

I feel I must point out a factual error in your original post. Leeds United are in fact a "big" team.

Your's sincerely

I.N. Denial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

SectionF wrote: »
    As someone else asked, is it the journey or the destination? :pac:

Trilla does a great job of reassuring some very insecure people that no one is out to get them, and for that he should be applauded.

Trilla is a legend! Makes a mean stir fry too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I moved to Ireland 27 years ago and I had never met (or heard of) a Chelsea fan (or even spotted a shirt) until the current era. And that includes my age group and older(i/.e fathers, older brothers etc). And that includes 15 years of EPL barstooling in Dublin.

There were a few brothers in rural Mayo in the 1980s that were mad Chelsea fans, I have no idea why btw.

I think one of them moved to London in the last 80s (as many Mayo school leavers did) and ended up working as a steward at Millwall FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There were a few brothers in rural Mayo in the 1980s that were mad Chelsea fans, I have no idea why btw.

I'm sure they exist. I just can't think of any myself, outside of one friend I pay five-a-side with - a recent convert to football who picked them up a few seasons ago. I've known Irish lads down the years that supported Arsenal, MU, Liverpool, Leeds, Spurs, Newcastle, and Everton, just never Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know a couple of Chelsea fans, one of whom is about 50 and has been a season ticket holder for about 20 years or so. I know a Stoke fan as well, although he is from Stoke so I suppose that's a bit different. Never seen a person as happy as he was when they got promoted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wouldn't know, I support the greatest club in the world. Massive club too. :)

mp1972 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, I support the greatest club in the world. Massive club too. :)

Not many Madrid fans post here. Welcome.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'll never understand some randomer from Wesport supporting Stockport. Pathetic stuff really. If you're gonna jump on the bandwagon be shameless about it. Pick someone good. This thread is embarrassing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Samurai wrote: »
    used to get loads of stick for following villa, whos laughing now!!

Hopefully the same people. A good season in the league doesnt change the world. Just ask Everton fans.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'm a Forest supporter, very proud to be so, wouldn't change it for anything, but yet every week, in football conversation i get these neanderthals coming up telling me ''to follow a decent team'' - :rolleyes: (I could play the 'Been to Europe, won the cup twice' card, but i don't). I'm supporting Forest since i was seven, a time when they were ''a decent team'', one of the top four in the country under God (Brian Clough to you), when Keane was at his peak (a better all rounder at Forest than he ever was at United) and when Forest supporters were more numerous in this country.

You picked a popular and successful British team as your team of choice. Countless Irish people do the same with United, Liverpool, etc, today. What's the difference between you and them? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

doesnt bother me that much, the only thing that bothers me are the fans that support 'big' clubs but know f all and care f all about football in general. all they want to do is talk with theyre workmates about football on monday, and when the conversation moves beyond gerrard being great they have nothing to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Forest and Leeds fans trying to be different:rolleyes:did one not have one of the greatest managers and win 2 european cups and the other a fantastic team that had its own dominance in english football.

Liverpool havent won the league in 20 years,im 26 does that make me a gloryhunter.
    What do you say to a 40 year old united fan who saw them be ****e till the 90's in the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

raven136 wrote: »
    Forest and Leeds fans trying to be different:rolleyes:did one not have one of the greatest managers and win 2 european cups and the other a fantastic team that had its own dominance in english football.

Liverpool havent won the league in 20 years,im 26 does that make me a gloryhunter.
    What do you say to a 40 year old united fan who saw them be ****e till the 90's in the league?

No words needed , Just want ever amount that you feel is right , in a unmarked brown envelope :D

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I'll never understand some randomer from Wesport supporting Stockport. Pathetic stuff really. If you're gonna jump on the bandwagon be shameless about it. Pick someone good. This thread is embarrassing really.
    Or Scunthorpe.
    Once heard someone on the radio with Tom McGurk urging people not to support the big money machines but to get real and back a 'proper' local club instead. Then either he or McG went on to suggest WBA. Maybe he thought he was on West Bromwich radio.
    Irish Times ran a piece a couple of years back by BBC Ireland corr urging people for the sake of authenticity to support Middlesbrough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I support Norwich, we haven't been too successful in the past and no sign of it any time in the future :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Or Scunthorpe.
    Once heard someone on the radio with Tom McGurk urging people not to support the big money machines but to get real and back a 'proper' local club instead. Then either he or McG went on to suggest WBA. Maybe he thought he was on West Bromwich radio.
    Irish Times ran a piece a couple of years back by BBC Ireland corr urging people for the sake of authenticity to support Middlesbrough.

Back in 1994/1995 Des Cahill did the sports news on the Ian Dempsey morning show on 2 FM

They decided to follow Rochdale for the season, well until Des went over for a game around this time of year and realized that it was a complete s**t hole.

I remember how he was saying he jumped into the cab and at the airport and said 'Spoltlands please' and the cab driver turn around and went 'Where ?'

They decided to follow Rochdale for the season, well until Des went over for a game around this time of year and realized that it was a complete s**t hole.
    '

I heard some lemmings were following teams like Go Ahead Eagles before too. What's that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What bandwagon did you jump on?

I like Man Utd, purely because I was watching the 1999 Cup Final with loads of lads from school who were United supporters, so I joined them. I have jumped on the Sunderland bandwagon now. Only because of the Irish connection, nothing else. These are the 2 teams I would like to be successful.

I am a Shamrock Rovers fan too. My whole family is from Ringsend, and my grandad beat it into me. Been to Tolka a few times.

Even if Man Utd/Sunderland lose, doesn't mean I won't stop liking them. Bandwagon loyalty! Rovers, my heart is with them.

• Advertisement

To be honest, supporting the teams is fine.

Just some people who discuss the city or area as if they're from there. Like people talking away about geographical rivalry with Liverpool, Bolton or Leeds, or aping the history, accent or whatever; excruciating, really. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Ive supported Norwich for 15 years because they were the 1st team i saw playing on tv back in 1993!:)

Just some people who discuss the city or area as if they're from there.
    No. They wouldn't. Would they? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

tbh if someone asks why you support a 'useless' team its just ignorance, whether they support a top club or not. if they dont understand why you support an non successful team, then they dont know much about football. if you support man united or sporting fingal, as long as you dont just give up when they stop winning, it doesnt matter who you support, you get what you get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I looooove when they call each other mancs and scousers in thick Irish accents down the pub. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You mock bandwagoner supporters but then go on to say "I'm supporting Forest since i was seven, a time when they were ''a decent team'', one of the top four in the country under God (Brian Clough to you), when Keane was at his peak (a better all rounder at Forest than he ever was at United) and when Forest supporters were more numerous in this country.". Interesting.
    I mentioned this to merely illustrate the fact that they were a decent side not so long ago. Anyways, i've stuck with them, i've stayed on the bandwagon long after it was derailed!

Zaph wrote: »
    Dear grenache

I feel I must point out a factual error in your original post. Leeds United are in fact a "big" team.

Your's sincerely

I.N. Denial

Big club yes. Big team no.

Töpher wrote: »
    You picked a popular and successful British team as your team of choice. Countless Irish people do the same with United, Liverpool, etc, today. What's the difference between you and them? :confused:
    Not that popular at the time, certainly not a Liverpool or Man Utd! The difference is, 17 years on i still go to see them, even when we were in League One last year, do you think the average United fan would do the same if something similar happened to them as happened to Leeds?

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    pot calling ...............

Get off your high horse , The fact that fans follow a **** team does not in anyway make them a better fans. Christ only if you suffered can you be a real fan WHAT CRAP.
    No, but to follow your team thru thick and thin does, the average United fan under 25 years of age has no idea, most of them are sterilised, so used to winning that they don't even appreciate it, and then come up to us non top 4 club supporters and slag us, the irony of it! Who do you follow out of interest?

Prime example is Blackburn in the 90s, when they won the Premiership, jerseys everywhere, 5 years later, in first division, not a jersey to be seen. Ditto Chelsea before they were an articficially blown up into a top 4 club.

I moved here when I was 11. Busted. :D. Hopefully 27 years here counts for something though*

*Don't answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oh I dunno. Robinsons fat, Trundles fat, Sweeney's fat, Enouch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

No, but to follow your team thru thick and thin does, the average United fan under 25 years of age has no idea, most of them are sterilised, so used to winning that they don't even appreciate it, and then come up to us non top 4 club supporters and slag us, the irony of it! Who do you follow out of interest?

Prime example is Blackburn in the 90s, when they won the Premiership, jerseys everywhere, 5 years later, in first division, not a jersey to be seen. Ditto Chelsea before they were an articficially blown up into a top 4 club.

United ,so I would not be a real fan in your view,

But maybe I'm forty and have been following them since 1976 and had the great joys of the 80's and 90's watching a certain Dockside team win everything.

Or

How about If my Irish (Home town )Team , Spend 5 seasons in the top flight in the LOI back in the 70's 80's with the fantastic record of playing 150 games ,winning 29 drawing 32 and wait for it...... losing 89:eek: oh ye goals against 340 . And they were the glory years ,
    Since then the club has folded twice and now a days are playing in lower divisions of a northern county senior league , When I get home to see the odd game and bring my son we double the gate :D

Now how did you put it " thru thick and thin " , does this make me a real fan ,
    Well in my view NO .

Football and Team support is a personal thing ,whether you follow a Small club , a sleeping Giant , A Big club or our local schoolboy Team . No set of supporters have a right to belittle anybody else choice of team, Yes belittle and abuse the team :D but not the fans .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

But your article refers to 'smaller clubs', not 'teams' :confused:
    I am sure you are aware that Leeds United are bigger than half the Clubs in The Premiership atm. Bigger fanbase, better facilities etc. Fact that we are in League One for now (for various reasons) does not put us in the catogory of 'smaller club'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's supporters of smaller clubs that actually annoy me more than those of bigger clubs.
    Whenever they talk to you have that smug attitude that their a better football fan than you because there not just 'gloryhunting' this really does my nut in.

I am sure that happens sometimes.

But in a lot of cases (not all), they will be correct.

IMO, A good football fan will follow football, and will know a little bit about most clubs in all four divisions.

Oh I dunno. Robinsons fat, Trundles fat, Sweeney's fat, Enouch....
    Robbo's 'stocky', Trundle's gone, Sweeney's 'goneish' and Enouch (so lanky (but we wish him well recovering fron serious illness)).
    MOT

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I far preffered supporting Chelsea when we were fighting for a Champion's League place every year rather than being expected to finish in the top two and the semi finals in Europe. It's not really that fun. There are no big scalps anymore and any time you win it's just seen as expected. Same with Juve. They were boring to support until they got relegated and then the fun came back. I don't see the enjoyment of being a Man Utd fan for the past 12 years

You May be right. I've been a Man United fan for many years and I'm old enough to remember them being relegated to the old division 2 in the early
    70's. During that season in division 2 I was lucky enough to go to most home games and the atmosphere at every match was electric. There were crowds of 60,000 at Old Trafford (Way more than any division 1 game that season)
    and the noise was absolutely deafening every game. That season for me was what being a football fan was all about. I go to games now and the crowd are nowhere near as "up for it" as when I was a kid. United are never boring to watch but there's a sense now that in every game a win is expected whereas before all their post 1990 success a win against a big team would be a great result that would keep you in a good mood for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

OK,I support QPR. There Isaid it.

We are a small club with big owners now although Bernie is on 5 and a bit foot!! who have between them more wealth than Abramovich and a little less than City's owners.

Will they ever spend money????????????

Not many of us on here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

boopolo wrote: »

IMO, A good football fan will follow football, and will know a little bit about most clubs in all four divisions.

What a load of crap. Just because someone supports a smaller club doesn't mean that know more or are a better fan of someone supporting a big club. Oh and because Leeds have spent a few seasons in lower divisions all of a sudden your an authority on all facets of English football.

I'm sure before Leeds went to these places you had no clue of the name of Yeovils stadium or the likes. I'm sure you'll ask so i don't particularly support an English team but if i did it would be Leeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I used to go to TOlka Park in the late 60s and early 70s with my father to watch Drums. I'm still a Drums fan and still go to watch them play in the LSL.

the gen. Been to South Africa Road (loftus rd) a few times in the 80's.

Anto McC wrote: »
    What a load of crap. Just because someone supports a smaller club doesn't mean that know more or are a better fan of someone supporting a big club. Oh and because Leeds have spent a few seasons in lower divisions all of a sudden your an authority on all facets of English football.

I'm sure before Leeds went to these places you had no clue of the name of Yeovils stadium or the likes. I'm sure you'll ask so i don't particularly support an English team but if i did it would be Leeds.
    No. I wasn't going to ask you at all.

As a matter of fact I haven't a clue what you are on about.

I never said anything about supporters of smaller/bigger clubs 'authority on the facets of English football'. My father is following Man U for 55 years, and he would know a little bit about most clubs in the league. On the otherhand I have met 'some' fans of the 'Top Four' and they wouldn't be able to name 10 teams playing in the Championship.

We've only got two...

Should they know something about clubs in those, or is that different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

the gen. Been to South Africa Road (loftus rd) a few times in the 80's.

Great little ground. Love it.

Been supporting them since 1974!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Trilla wrote: »
    Its the same stuff over and over again.

A team from my area, in the country I was born, pay tax in and reside in. Plus €1.60 on the 38a is way cheaper than any Ryanair deal to Liverpool or Manchester!

Some people dont have that luxury to be so close to a club.

Ive been defending my choice to support Liverpool long enough and cant really be bothered getting into it again. But that above few lines really sums up ALOT(not all) of whats wrong with the LOI in the first place.

People living in Dublin/towns with LOI teams fair enough. But you do realise there is a hell of a lot of counties with no LOI influence at all and hence dont feel that affiliation to LOI clubs. Mine included.

And people changing teams they support is a complete joke (even if its to an LOI team). I would never stop supporting Liverpool. Even if they got relegated twice and deducted another 30 points and then some.

• Advertisement

We've only got two...

Should they know something about clubs in those, or is that different?

As a Bohs fan I am sure you do, as would most people. ;)

Anyway, I said 'IMO' and 'football fan'.

A bit OT: Watch out for AFC Wimbledon in the next few years. That will test your alegience, mKDons05.

thegen wrote: »
    Great little ground. Love it.

Been supporting them since 1974!!!
    It had plastic grass each time I went there.:eek: I just went as a neutral, as I lived close by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

joe123 wrote: »
    Ive been defending my choice to support Liverpool long enough and cant really be bothered getting into it again.

People living in Dublin/towns with LOI teams fair enough. But you do realise there is a hell of a lot of counties with no LOI influence at all and hence dont feel that affiliation to LOI clubs. Mine included.

So you have an affiliation to Liverpool? But not the closest LoI team near your town?:confused: How does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jazzy wrote: »
    i dont think ive ever met anyone that has changed wat team they support
    ive yet to meet des tho! :pac:

A bloke I went to school with was a jersey wearing Sheffield Wednesday supporter in first year.

On our first PE day of second year he had a full Liverpool kit on. He got endless stick for it.
    Samurai wrote: »
    used to get loads of stick for following villa, whos laughing now!!

Arsenal fans probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Not that popular at the time, certainly not a Liverpool or Man Utd! The difference is, 17 years on i still go to see them, even when we were in League One last year, do you think the average United fan would do the same if something similar happened to them as happened to Leeds?

I think they would. You underestimate fans of the big clubs. They are not all on the bandwagon. As I posted earlier, United were relegated in the 70's. The crowds they got in the old division 2 were still the biggest crowds in English football by far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement