Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girly hair nets student €3500

Options
  • 17-02-2009 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0217/1224241280174.html

I know that there have been a few cases like this over the years and I always come back to the point - if its a rule, don't break it.

I don't particularly like wearing a tie in work, but I do. I didn't particularly want to remove my ear and tongue ring for work, but I did. Because I wanted to work in this company, I conformed to their dress code.

You wanna go to school, cut your Goddamn girly hair!

End.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Fight teh powah!! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: = I have short hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Fight teh powah!! :rolleyes:

cut your fooking hair, ya big girl :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

i think he was right to get the money. It was a rule that discriminated based on gender. Plus the school handled the situitation very badly and if it was another student that said that it would count as bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

****ing hell can I get some of that I was sent home from school for having hair down to my jaw line ala kurt cobain.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

And why exactly, is long hair girly? Why don't you tell him, to cut his long, girly hair?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CJtd53G-Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm gonna shave my head

When I get sent home for being too "Butch"

KERCHING!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Damn that crusty old dean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Fair play, fcuking backwards schools trying to turn people into sheep.

Deputy Principal Ms O’Brien, suck my hairy ball sack!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

He probably left it hanging down unkept to bother the school so much.
    Another thing, peer pressure.
    Why is someone of a male persuasion tying their hair into a ponytail in Ireland is always thought of as a schmuck?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I got hassle for having a beard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Phsyche wrote: »
    Why is someone of a male persuasion tying their hair into a ponytail in Ireland is always thought of as a schmuck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jji78uE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

He looks like a girl. Now, Johnny Unitas. there's a haircut you could set your watch to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

connundrum wrote: »

I know that there have been a few cases like this over the years and I always come back to the point - if its a rule, don't break it.

I don't particularly like wearing a tie in work, but I do. I didn't particularly want to remove my ear and tongue ring for work, but I did. Because I wanted to work in this company, I conformed to their dress code.

End.

First time I've really wanted a 'thumbs down' button on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Idiot faculty with incompetent principal, guy wins reasonable yet hardly excessive amount for said idiocy....

Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Good on the young guy for taking them to the cleaners.

Reminds me of that off license who refused to serve vodka to a 19 year old. They said "their" policies stated that they will sell beer and alco pops to over 18s but only over 21s could buy spirits.

I cannot remember how much he got but they got a good slap for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My boss in work a few years back kept telling me not to wear a ring to work yet the girls were allowed to. I told him if he forced the issue he'd find himself dealing with an equality issue. Unfortunately it shut him up :( I want my 3500 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

This is a story I like to hear, I was in a school in cork (who thought far too much of themselves) and when it wasn't hair that was too long it was hair that was too short! ha!, ...fu.cking as.holes
    And something like this would have hurt them where it really hurts! their wallets!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just heard his mother on the radio. came across as a snob with no respect for the schools wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

connundrum wrote: »

End.

Absolute bull****. A school was willing to go to the lenghts to hiring a barber to inspect his haircut? Makes perfect sense...:confused:

Shirt and tie in work, i can probably understand that, especially if you're dealing with the public in some fancy places, or if you were a lawyer or consultant. But when you go home and take those things off and wear what you want after that. You don't look any different. Cutting your hair means it stays that way whether you wanted to or not. This chap didn't and wasn't going to be pushed into it and fair play to him. I don't think I've ever judged people on their hairstyle.

You have to start wondering if this is what kids are getting in their leaving cert year, what chance do they stand? I've never once heard of hair effecting people's exam results. Makes you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

My school had a similar gestapo style set up,you werent allowed to have long hair,you werent allowed have short hair,no hair dyed,no tattoo's,piercings,jewellery,basically nothing that allowed you to be an individual,you always had to wear your tie and black shoes and socks???,if you didnt you had to pay a fine of 2 euro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but when I was 13 my mam got me an earring(which I still wear)which I thought at the time was coolest thing ever,and even though she didnt like it I always kept my hair really short,a 0 or a 1 back and sides,the day after I got my haircut with my new earring,the teacher told me take out the earring,I refused,so I was sent to vice-principals office who made a big deal out of me having an earring and short hair,he called me a 'gutty',and said if I didnt take it out Id be expelled( I was being suspended until my hair grew back),so I said no,he decided to ring my mother,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the phone call lasted 3 minutes,and he his face dropped as the Ma roared him outta it on the other end,he put the phone down and in a real sneering voice said 'get back to class',me with big smile on my face,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Went home asked the Ma what she had said,she told him she spent 10 pound on that earring and pound on my hair and she wasnt having some miserable old c*nt disrupt my education over a piece of jewellery and a haircut,and threatened to report him to the equality body,my Ma is cool,lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

He may have had a point, and the school's stance seems ridiculous, as apparently they let other boys have long hair, but I heard his mother on the radio this morning, and I think she's an idiot for allowing her son to miss half of his leaving cert year for the sake of making a stand about a haircut. She should be fined €3500 for bad parenting.

Too Right.. Leaving Cert education is most important one we get and to exclude someone in this day and age for something so trivial is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Get a haircut ya hippie!

err I mean FIGHT THE POWAH :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

just heard his mother on the radio. came across as a snob with no respect for the schools wishes.

LoL, you mean the schools wishes to basically bully a kid? The school handled it completely wrong, all those remarks about "wanting to be a girl" and "having a girls haircut". They could have handled it a whole load better than acting like a bunch of teenagers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Dragan wrote: »
    LoL, you mean the schools wishes to basically bully a kid? The school handled it completely wrong, all those remarks about "wanting to be a girl" and "having a girls haircut". They could have handled it a whole load better than acting like a bunch of teenagers themselves.

Exactly. If it were a girls school would they act the same way with a girl who had a short hair cut? If they told her she was trying to be a boy the country would come to a halt.

"If it's a rule, don't break it."

Ye, and Saudi women should just not allow themselves be raped to avoid lashes and prison sentences.

Breaking the rule is not the issue. The rule is the issue. Point being it's a load of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Whats the point in having a uniform if people get to dress whichever way they like?

The leaving certs aload of gick,a test that lasts two hours a subject after learning two years of useless information,I belive we all should do it,for the purpose of having it on a CV or for the points,but what purpose does it serve in day to day living,in my view,none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    she told him she spent 10 pound on that earring and pound on my hair
    That must have been some haircut all the same, a whole pound. :D

Mingey wrote: »
    Whats the point in having a uniform if people get to dress whichever way they like?

There shouldnt be uniforms to begin with,they add more to problem then solution

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    That must have been some haircut all the same, a whole pound. :D

Haha It was the late nineties,and I think it might have been 3 pound,ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,lol

Advertisement