Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girly hair nets student €3500

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone linked to Brassd Eye yet?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

Degsy wrote: »
    The sort of teenagers who want to grow thier hair long are the sort of people who create discipline problems in schools.
    A teacher cant be giving the job his full attention if there's some spotty,pasty-faced prat constantly fidgeting with his long greasy hair.
    What kindd of a mother would want her son to have long hair anyway?Either she's some sort of a political malcontent or she wants her son to grow up gay.

You best be trolling.

kincsem wrote: »
    A teenage rebel. Yawn. Done before tbh.

How many times an argument has been put forward has no bearing on it's truth value.
    To all the people going on about teenagers need to express themselves with clothes etc. you might not realise that most of us (well most peopl in my school anyway) are perfectly happy with a uniform. God forbid we should express ourselved through our personalities.

God forbid someone express themselves in a way you might not? Aren't you kind of missing the point of self expression to begin with?

Plus, if it's true that you claim you're perfectly happy with a uniform - then it's doing it's job, isn't it?

In all honesty, the vast majority of people I've met who preach this have some of the most unbearably boring personalities either way.
    Uniforms make life so much easier, roll out of bed, throw on uniform. Do I have to worry about my top clashing with my skirt? Nope because black will always go with green.

Why would you care about clashing?

So fitting in with notions of fashion is more important than dressing to be yourself? Which conveniently isn't a valid way of expressing yourself?
    There's also a very practical aspect, say I get hit by a car on the way to school and am unconcious, I have no identity on me but witnesses immediately recognise my uniform and can at least call the school and possibly identify me that way.

Why not carry an identity then.
    The hair thing is a bit ridiculous, I see no reason why students shouldn't wear their hair the way they like, but I also see no reason to do a bit rage against the machine stunt and sacrifice your leaving cert for the sake of your (probably pretty manky if you're a long-haired guy) hair.

That's because quite frankly you have poor principles and ethics, and are generally apathetic.

Nice bull**** generalisation you threw in there, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭JordanDC

I wonder if its the same for coloured hair? In the school that I go to you are not allow to dye your hair in any way and it must be "neat" at all times, yet the people on the top sports team can do what they like. Discrimination or favourtism?

JordanDC wrote: »
    I wonder if its the same for coloured hair? In the school that I go to you are not allow to dye your hair in any way and it must be "neat" at all times, yet the people on the top sports team can do what they like. Discrimination or favourtism?

Ah, shure, but dey're grang oul' characturs, altagether, ta be shure

• Advertisement

JordanDC wrote: »

Both!

But of course if you think forbidding people to choose the haircolour they're comfortable with is wrong, you're "immature" and a "teen rebel". If I got into a discussion with one of these people IRL I'd give them a "Kick in the crotch".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Both!

But of course if you think forbidding people to choose the haircolour they're comfortable with is wrong, you're "immature" and a "teen rebel". If I got into a discussion with one of these people IRL I'd give them a "Kick in the crotch".

A school is there for children to learn,if they have a uniform its to convey uniformity under the banner of the school's ethos.
    A school is not a place for a child to assert his "individuality",he can do plenty of that when he leaves.
    If a school has a rule forbidding long hair and you want to have long hair,go to another school and stop being a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A school is there for children to learn,.

True.
    if they have a uniform its to convey uniformity under the banner of the school's ethos.,.

Are they there to learn, or there to learn to conform?
    A school is not a place for a child to assert his "individuality",he can do plenty of that when he leaves..,.

As the school years coincide with the formative years of an individuals life, thats rather a strange view to take.
    If a school has a rule forbidding long hair and you want to have long hair,go to another school and stop being a pain in the arse.

....thus perpetuating and aiding the ridiculous and dated pratice of regulating such matters by refusing to take a stand.

A school is there for children to learn,if they have a uniform its to convey uniformity under the banner of the school's ethos.
    A school is not a place for a child to assert his "individuality",he can do plenty of that when he leaves.

What do you want schools to do? Educate or conform? Can't be both.

When you teach, you invite discussion, and with discussion comes disagreement. If you're not open to either, you're brainwashing, not eductaing and certainly not teaching.

If you want a conformist society, Degsy, fine - but at least come out and say it!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    When you teach, you invite discussion, and with discussion comes disagreement. If you're not open to either, you're brainwashing, not eductaing and certainly not teaching.

You go to school to learn stuff you dont already know.
    Teachers are there to teach a set syllabus for the kids to sit exams on.
    If you dont know anything about it why would it be open to discussion?
    Maybe you're mixing up school and third level?
    And for the record,there's no harm in teaching kids the "value" of conforming,there are plenety of conventions in society that need to be adhered to whether you agree with them or not.
    Society has rules and so should schools.

• Advertisement

And for the record,there's no harm in teaching kids the "value" of conforming,there are plenety of conventions in society that need to be adhered to .

Turning up on time, responsibility,. work and reward......Sweet fvck all to do with hair.....

You go to school to learn stuff you dont already know.
    Teachers are there to teach a set syllabus for the kids to sit exams on.
    If you dont know anything about it why would it be open to discussion?
    Maybe you're mixing up school and third level?
    And for the record,there's no harm in teaching kids the "value" of conforming,there are plenety of conventions in society that need to be adhered to whether you agree with them or not.
    Society has rules and so should schools.

Of course, learn first, discuss afterwards. What's the point in just learning facts by rote? They can do that at home with a book.

Question is, Degsy, do you value the idea of children/teenagers being encouraged to discuss and disagree or not? And should they have as much right to protest as anyone else?

Society doesn't have 'rules' society has 'laws' and if a governemnt tried to bring in a law dictating appearance or hair-length they're be a outcry.

I think you need to stop seeing children as some sort of animal that needs to be "broken in". It's that attitude that when in practice crates the scumbag element.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Only browsed through the topic but the comparison between work and school are silly tbh. In work you get paid and fair enough if your employer has a specific image for his/her business as long as they don't discriminate on gender or other fair enough. You can understand this as the goal of a business is to sell to a customer who buys on image among other things.
    However in school the priority is not to sell anything. It is to gain an education while also allowing people to develop their own personality while heading towards adulthood. With that in mind these rules about jewelry, hair and such are ridiculous. They serve no purpose other than to appease a draconian management's bigotry.
    I understand the use for a uniform as it eases parents less well off concerns that their kid won't be dressed as well as their mates but outside of that, bleh.

I think you need to stop seeing children as some sort of animal that needs to be "broken in". It's that attitude that when in practice crates the scumbag element.

You're wrong there.
    Its the "let kids do what they want and have no respect for authority or society" that creates the scumbag element.
    Generally speaking scumbags do NOT adhere to rules or respect authority or convention.
    This is usually due to the way thier parents fail to imbue them with sets of standards and morals.

You're wrong there.
    Its the "let kids do what they want and have no respect for authority or society" that creates the scumbag element..

So those articles about the "animal gang" in the Indo the other week...those were from the 1930's....Were they let grow their hair in tolerant 1930's Ireland?
    Generally speaking scumbags do NOT adhere to rules or respect authority or convention...

Like Hitler, Stalin, Mao.....bohemian dope smoking hairy dilettantes the lot of them....

You're wrong there.
    Its the "let kids do what they want and have no respect for authority or society" that creates the scumbag element.
    Generally speaking scumbags do NOT adhere to rules or respect authority or convention.
    This is usually due to the way thier parents fail to imbue them with sets of standards and morals.

Oh there is the possibility of it going to far, yes, I grant you that, but if you have genuinely respected guidelines, they will generally be respected. Scumabgs become scumbags out of act of rebellion. Authority has told them that they have cut their hair and shown **** all respect for them, and some confrom out of fear, some don't and take the "well, feck them, I'm not obeying their rules" ****.

Not disagreeing with you about the parents. There will ALWAYS be scumbags and these are the ones I think we're stuck with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Normal clothes is a lot easier than uniform too tbh, wake up, jeans, t shirt, jumper. I feel sorry for people who think they have to make a huge effort to look good going to school/college.

Oh honey, I never have to try to look good :cool:
    How many times an argument has been put forward has no bearing on it's truth value.

God forbid someone express themselves in a way you might not? Aren't you kind of missing the point of self expression to begin with?

I believe that people whose main form of expression is clothing have very little to say for themselves and are often quite boring.

In all honesty, the vast majority of people I've met who preach this have some of the most unbearably boring personalities either way.

Lol yes, we're boring, the people who might chose to express themselves through personality and not clothing are boring.

Why would you care about clashing?

Because I have a sense of style.
    So fitting in with notions of fashion is more important than dressing to be yourself? Which conveniently isn't a valid way of expressing yourself?

Where did I say I don't dress to be myself?

That's because quite frankly you have poor principles and ethics, and are generally apathetic.

Nice bull**** generalisation you threw in there, too.

No, I don't. If I were apathetic do you think I'd have even posted on this thread? I made that generalisation cos out of all the guys I have met who have long hair (there have ben many) one, maybe two kept it in good condition.

Piste wrote: »

Lol yes, we're boring, the people who might chose to express themselves through personality and not clothing are boring.

My sarcasm detector is broken: please tell me you're joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yup it was sarcasm :) sometimes you forget that things don't read the same way they sound in your head :pac:

Nodin wrote: »

Like Hitler, Stalin, Mao.....bohemian dope smoking hairy dilettantes the lot of them....

What a stupid,stupid thing to say.
    Somebody is talking about scumabgs at school and you're talking about Hitler and Mao.
    You do make me laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Somebody is talking about scumabgs at school and you're talking about Hitler and Mao.
    You do make me laugh!

Dunno where you went to school, but it was never the ones with long hair who were scumbags where I went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I never really gave a shit about wearing my uniform in school, outside of the annoyance of the tie which I hardly wore anyway. Never really paid it much thought. If I had known back then that it was because I was a conformist, cerebrally-inert drone with scant sense of individuality, I would have been deeply upset.

I need a time machine.

Hitler - big on tradition and adherence to authority...not a nice man. Go on, get them wood chips burnin.....

Hitler - big on tradition and adherence to authority...not a nice man. Go on, get them wood chips burnin.....

Joe Stalin..not big on tradition..wanted to change the staus quo and nationalise everybody.Killed 25 million of his own people.
    Whats your point?

Joe Stalin..not big on tradition..wanted to change the staus quo and nationalise everybody.Killed 25 million of his own people.

.....many because he felt they represented a threat to his authority, broke discipline by dissenting.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

1- The deputy principle basically bullied him, asking him things like: "Do you want to be a girl?"

2- When he was suspeneded, the Department of Education said he could go back if he had his hair cut to shoulder length, which he did. However the school hired a feckin barber who said he needed another inch off. (Thats one of them "Jesus christ" moments)

For these simple reasons there is only one thing i have to say.
    Fair fecks to him, he deserved it.

Whats your point?

.... that the more you try and control and conform people, the more you're going to have to commit genocide in order to keep them quiet when they rebel against your ideas and start having ideas of their own.

Authority isn't always right.

.... that the more you try and control and conform people, the more you're going to have to commit genocide in order to keep them quiet when they rebel against your ideas and start having ideas of their own.

Authority isn't always right.

That is,even for AH the biggest laod of rubbish i've ever heard.

A guy grows his hair in school aginst the rules,he is disciplined,his mother sues the school,the school is found to be wrong... the logical lesson from all this?

People will need to commit genocide to stop kids from growing thier hair!!

The mind boggles,truly it does.

.....many because he felt they represented a threat to his authority, broke discipline by dissenting.......

By growing thier hair,yeah?

You make me laugh out loud!

• Advertisement

That is,even for AH the biggest laod of rubbish i've ever heard.

A guy grows his hair in school aginst the rules,he is disciplined,his mother sues the school,the school is found to be wrong... the logical lesson from all this?

People will need to commit genocide to stop kids from growing thier hair!!

The mind boggles,truly it does.

It would have been if I'd actually said that, but I didn't. What happened was:
    You asked the question:
    Whats your point?

Your answer is:

Why, if you're asking about hair, did you bring in Joe Stalin?:confused:
    The mind boggles. It truly does...

Advertisement